Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

I love hearing birds singing, rain on a metal roof and young children laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,016,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am actually thinking of getting a metal roof when I have to replace my current roof (likely within the next few years) ... I know they're expensive, but I would LOVE the sound of rain falling on it.

Then again, maybe I am weird.
Yes, you will.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
For the past two weeks, I've been listening to the sound of a rodent chewing a hole through to the house from the garage. I went down there and banged around with a stick, but it came back. Last night, the sound changed, to one of a rodent moving around inside my house. Right now, I wish I still had a cat living here.
Definitely NOT a sound I would want to hear -- I would have done everything I could to find the hole in the garage where the little bugger got IN before he made it to the house! Once IN the house, my tiny kitty Chloe or Jack would dispatch it quickly (they are my best mousers -- I have other kitties that are completely indifferent to mice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Fog horns. Really nice at about five miles. There is something film noire about that sound, like Bogart is going to come walking out of the mist and ask "Do you have a cigarette, friend?"
Love that image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
When the leaves come off the trees in the Fall, at night I can often hear the freight train, down in the valley, when I'm coming up from the barn

The sound has its own mystery in the dark, in the distance----
Yes! And I love how you put that.

When I lived in Ann Arbor I would sometimes be awake at 3 or 4 a.m. and I would hear freight trains start to pass in the distance and I'd go out on my balcony to listen. I found the sound oddly comforting. When I moved to New Hampshire, I really missed those sounds. Still do.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:37 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Owls... I like Owls. My Catahouls's do not like Owls, or Anhingas, or Herons. There's something to be said for tiki torches, the company of dogs, night time stars, a glass of wine and good music. I've observed, the music gets louder the more wine you drink.

This is a must listen to song and we all (should) have a Lochloosa in our lives...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUE7zJB704

Old 10-31-2019, 08:38 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I would be more than happy with an oak tree or a second pecan tree so our one tree would produce, but instead, we have a black walnut tree. Can't hear them hitting the roof but there are times when you need to be careful walking to the garage so you don't get hit in the head by a falling walnut. It don't feel good! Believe me! lol
Our last house before my husband died had several black walnut trees, and the biggest one was right beside the house. The first year we lived there I raked up a pile of walnuts over 3 feet high and 4 feet wide and had to scoop them up with a snow shovel. Our sweet dumb dog insisted on lying under that tree and I was always afraid she would get knocked unconscious or worse by a falling nut!

Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, not those...

It doesn't happen every year, but when there is a dry autumn or late summer, the oaks that are over the little house on my land drop acorns on the metal roof all day and into the night, creating a clatter. I can't imagine having to live in that house and trying to sleep.

OTOH, it keeps me aware enough to hear the coyotes doing their thing, and I'm waiting for an owl to make an entrance in the soundscape. Beats police sirens and traffic noise any day of the week.

What noises do you enjoy?
Awesome title!

My son & I have something called Absolute Pitch & I don't know if this contributes to what I can hear or not but I can hear cliffs & bluffs ... sing.

I suppose it has something to do with air resonating somehow? I don't know. maybe I'm a bat!

Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times
We have three huge oaks in our yard. Last year and previous years, our backyard was a hard hat zone. Those acorns were deadly. I have a video of them pelting our deck one year with the whole surface of the deck (and everything else) completely covered in acorns. We would spend a lot of time and energy trying to clean them up. We would have to haul out hundreds of pounds of them and take them to the dump.

I had a friend stay over at our house one year during the "acorn storms." Next day, she said she got no sleep and the acorns hitting the roof were scary sounding and kept her awake all night (WIMP!).

However, this year, all is quiet so far. Just an acorn or two here or there. This has happened only one other year in the seven that we've lived here. It was a very dry summer here so I guess that might be why.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
One of the best thread titles I have ever seen on C-D!

Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,018 times
My dog softly snoring (but no human snoring, please)
A train whistle far in the distance at night
Crickets on a summer evening
A mountain stream
Ocean tide
Fireworks

I also remember falling asleep as a kid to the sound of my parents talking quietly in the next room. That was such a safe and secure feeling.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
The call of loons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living