Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:27 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The call of loons.
ahhh....from On Golden Pond.

Lovely sound indeed!

True story- Mid summer saw my broad of squirrels borrowing their fall treats. And each day, the Little chipmunks would steal the buried lot. This went on so often I worried about the squirrels having enough for winter. Well don't ya know...One day last week I was heading to my car and I kid you not- the winds picked up and I swear I was being pummeled by acorns! It actually stung! Later that day coming home there was swarms of squirrels racing to bury the large "harvest" . The chipmunk dern near looked crossed eyes trying to figure out which site to dig up! For once I was - Okay squirrels you may just make it after all. Despite my dislike for them hiding under my car in winter time...I still don't want them to starve to death....

Now each day I keep having to be careful not to slip and fall because the acorns are piling up and dinging my car. There is really no way around it...the winds come and the nuts fall.

Last edited by Nov3; 11-01-2019 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 06:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
We have hickory and walnut trees. None are close enough to the house to drop on the roof so I enjoy hearing them drop on the ground and driveway.

My favorite sound though is what I call tree rain. When we get a heavy fog it sounds like it's raining in the woods as the fog hits the tree leaves and the water drops. It also happens after a rain stops and the water starts to drop off the leaves.

And I never knew deer make noise until we moved to our current house. They kind of grunt and make a warning noise. I enjoy hearing the turkeys and owls also.

I also love the silence at night. During the day I often can hear cars and trucks on the highway that's about a mile away.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The call of loons.
You must really enjoy your time in the R&S forum then!

Old 11-01-2019, 08:46 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Default cicadas sound nice

The sound of Cicadas as the evening approaches.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
My dog softly snoring (but no human snoring, please)
A train whistle far in the distance at night
Crickets on a summer evening
A mountain stream
Ocean tide
Fireworks

I also remember falling asleep as a kid to the sound of my parents talking quietly in the next room. That was such a safe and secure feeling.
Yes. I so miss that. Even the faint sound of the TV after we went to bed knowing they were there.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:03 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
I love listening to the sound of nuts cracking under my heels...as I walk along the trails with my dog. A sure signal of fall's arrival.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,860 times
Silence with cat purring while I let him watch a video made for cats on YouTube.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
I lived in staff quarters of a large wildlife refuge complex for a couple of years. About 50,000 Canada geese spent the night on an isolated island in the center of a big marsh nearby. Just about dawn something invariably stirred them up and the entire flock would take flight all at once. First I'd hear an increasingly loud gabble of voices. Ah, how nice; waking up to Goose Music every morning. But, just about the time they reached the house their GI tracts were ready to get rid of extra ballast. That metal roof just about shook from the green poop bullets thundering down on it as they passed over. I also remember pressure washing that roof each year to keep the weight down.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-01-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 04:10 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Our last house before my husband died had several black walnut trees, and the biggest one was right beside the house. The first year we lived there I raked up a pile of walnuts over 3 feet high and 4 feet wide and had to scoop them up with a snow shovel. Our sweet dumb dog insisted on lying under that tree and I was always afraid she would get knocked unconscious or worse by a falling nut!
When my parents lived in this house, my mother kept an old 2 iron golf club in the garage to help gather the walnuts. There were too many for her to bend over to pick up plus she didn't want her hands turning black. She'd "putt" them over into a pile by the corner of the garage and my dad would load them up in his pick up and take them to the fairgrounds the day before the weekly trade day and leave a sign saying "free to good home".

Old 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, not those...

It doesn't happen every year, but when there is a dry autumn or late summer, the oaks that are over the little house on my land drop acorns on the metal roof all day and into the night, creating a clatter. I can't imagine having to live in that house and trying to sleep.

OTOH, it keeps me aware enough to hear the coyotes doing their thing, and I'm waiting for an owl to make an entrance in the soundscape. Beats police sirens and traffic noise any day of the week.

What noises do you enjoy?
One of the best thread titles ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living