Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 05:05 PM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors was getting complaints from his tenants about acorns dropping on the metal roof. He cut the tree down. Which was in an adjoining yard.

The dust on that one hasn't settled yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 05:07 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Thank goodness for living on acreage. Time for some wine and music... maybe loud tonight after everything goes quiet.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:41 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Just moved into a new house and have been getting familiar with the "new" noises outdoors. Kept hearing several odd ones at night that I couldn't assign to anything. Turned out to be moose. There's a fairly recently planted lawn around part of the house that comes right up to the wall. They graze right up to the wall too. First there'd be ripping tearing noises, crunching munching noises. If that particular moose decided to lay down and ruminate for a while, I could even hear that. A sort of low frequency surging, rumbling, with belches. The grass is a bit short for them to reach standing up, so I've seen them graze while lying down or kneeling. Look ridiculous with their rumps sticking straight up in the air. But then moose look sort of ridiculous much of the time IMHO.

I have a great photo, but couldn't seem to upload it today.

It is mating season so there can be 3-5 out there at once. Sometimes they moan, bray, and rumble to each other. Mostly peaceful, but sometimes a couple of bulls let their hormones get the upper hand and they start sparring, shoving each other around. Thuds and thumps. They keep kicking the septic system vent caps off the pipes and barging into the deck railings.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:39 PM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
When I lived in Upstate NY I loved the call of a newly arrived Redwing Blackbird perched on a cattail, as it signified that the long winter was finally over, and spring was here.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 AM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
When I lived in Upstate NY I loved the call of a newly arrived Redwing Blackbird perched on a cattail, as it signified that the long winter was finally over, and spring was here.
Yes! I look for the redwings in spring in both my rural and not-so-rural places. I love the way they perch.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:27 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
I'm hunting out of my travel trailer and BAM acorns on the roof. Wide awake now

Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm hunting out of my travel trailer and BAM acorns on the roof. Wide awake now
Especially when they hit the vents or sky lights. I had to put a tarp over mine one year.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,254,056 times
Good sound.. halyards clanking on sailboat mast in a marina in a breeze.

Bad sound.. same halyards clanking on a sailboat mast in a marina if you are trying to sleep..

Rain on a metal roof.. good sound. I have a metal roof that was put on an older house and when the metal roof was installed, a few inches of some type of foam insulation was added. This metal roof seems to work well.. no leaks but it makes all sorts of creaking noises when its heating up during the day. This is the only metal roof I have been under, do they all make all sorts of creaking noises during daily heating and cooling? Not really a bad sound..

Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
Good sound.. halyards clanking on sailboat mast in a marina in a breeze.

Bad sound.. same halyards clanking on a sailboat mast in a marina if you are trying to sleep..

Rain on a metal roof.. good sound. I have a metal roof that was put on an older house and when the metal roof was installed, a few inches of some type of foam insulation was added. This metal roof seems to work well.. no leaks but it makes all sorts of creaking noises when its heating up during the day. This is the only metal roof I have been under, do they all make all sorts of creaking noises during daily heating and cooling? Not really a bad sound..
The ones attached to purlins generally don't.

I'm a light sleeper, and always slept poorly on a boat, even under the best of conditions. Sleeping in a tent was much easier.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:25 AM

I just downloaded "voice recorder" to my phone... lol. Lets play guess what my nuts falling sounds like!

Some sounds are very hard to recognize unless you're there and see some evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living