Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM

258 posts, read 292,065 times

Advertisements

"Moved" to Sacramento last August and so far things are mostly okay albeit that I have to re-take an important class in order to start some higher-up classes due to a bad grade. But there's something else - equally, if not more important, that I've noticed while taking classes down there.

Sacramento seems to have a fear of hiring white men.

In one of my government classes (California local politics), I learned that whites are only around 45% of the population and when I looked up census data, that confirmed my discovery. Obviously school is the number one priority, but do I really have to wait until I graduate to find a job in Sacramento?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 12:59 PM

264 posts, read 414,160 times
I don't understand your question.

Whites not being a super majority does not create a logical correlation with a fear of hiring white men. If "white men" ever became a minority, diversity programs would kick in to instead give them a bump for inclusion. Further, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) protects all peoples from discriminatory hiring practices, whites included.

Your skill set and attitude are what matters with most employers, depending on the desirability of your major you may/may not find a paid internship before graduation, worst case you'll still want to go volunteer in the position/areas you want to work in to build experience and connections.

Making broad generalizations about race does not aid in finding employment.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:08 PM

256 posts, read 367,707 times
Oh son.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
^^^^^ xenxes says, "If "white men" ever became a minority, diversity programs would kick in to instead give them a bump for inclusion."

Ha,ha. That's the best one I've heard in awhile!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post

Whites not being a super majority does not create a logical correlation with a fear of hiring white men. If "white men" ever became a minority, diversity programs would kick in to instead give them a bump for inclusion. Further, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) protects all peoples from discriminatory hiring practices, whites included.

Your skill set and attitude are what matters with most employers, depending on the desirability of your major you may/may not find a paid internship before graduation, worst case you'll still want to go volunteer in the position/areas you want to work in to build experience and connections.

Hmm... I was under the impression that given Sacramento also being the capitol would also indicate that the EEOC would put a bigger focus on it - especially with it being the capital of California.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Also another thing to note. If my theory is correct - is this why Rocklin and most of Roseville exist the way they do? (large population yet mostly white)

Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I'm basically asking if I made a career mistake in choosing a school in a more diverse city that will throw me away via EEOC and gender/race quotas because I'm a majority on the national level even though I'm actually a minority on the local level.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
lol wut?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM

264 posts, read 414,160 times
Meant to say Title VII above (not ENDA which probably won't pass during next 4-years). This 1964 federal law basically says it's unlawful to discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex national origin, or a protected activity. Race was drafted broadly to cover discrimination against any race -- whites (reverse discrimination) included. The EEOC takes complaints and enforces this law among others.

If you're talking about affirmative action, there are requirements and checks. Look @ the Title 7 definition below --

Quote:
Affirmative action, in contrast, “means those actions appropriate to overcome the effects of past or present practices, policies, or other barriers to equal employment opportunity.”(107) Affirmative action under Title VII may be (1) court-ordered after a finding of discrimination,(108) (2) negotiated as a remedy in consent decrees and settlement agreements, or (3) conducted pursuant to government regulation.(109) Also, employers may implement voluntary affirmative action plans in appropriate circumstances, such as to eliminate a manifest imbalance in a traditionally segregated job category.(110) In examining whether such a voluntary affirmative action plan is legal under Title VII, courts consider whether the affirmative action plan involves a quota or inflexible goal, whether the plan is flexible enough so that each candidate competes against all other qualified candidates, whether the plan unnecessarily trammels the interests of third parties, and whether the action is temporary, e.g., not designed to continue after the plan’s goal has been met.(111)
This is a systemic remedy intended to "make whole" a proven victimized group of discrimination (yes, even whites if the current order gets turned on its head--that's why we have majority rule but minority rights). I'm not advocating for/against race quotas, but this is the law and intent behind it, along with set limitations (strict scrutiny review by Supreme Court). Further, a private company does not have to practice mandatory affirmative action if it's not a federal contractor and meet minimum sales/employment #s. Private companies tend to follow profit, and therefore is most times colorblind and logically hire the best value/skill workers to max efficiency.

Being in a diverse city such as Sacramento does not mean whites (or any other race) are discriminated against. Rather, you'll more likely find that everyone is competing on equal footing based on merit. You might be interested to learn that on the state level, California forbids any affirmative action under Proposition 209 --
Quote:
Proposition 209 (also known as the California Civil Rights Initiative or CCRI) is a California ballot proposition which, upon approval in November 1996, amended the state constitution to prohibit state governmental institutions from considering race, sex, or ethnicity, specifically in the areas of public employment, public contracting, and public education.
Your school will/can not "throw you away" via EEOC/quotas. This is not how the EEOC or affirmative action works--which is implemented at the enrollment stage. What may get you thrown out is academic probation. Unfortunately, making America white again is not going to solve the problem of bad grades or getting a degree in a low-demand sector. You'll still be unemployed. So, I'd get back to studying instead of finding someone else to blame.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Meant to say Title VII above (not ENDA which probably won't pass during next 4-years). This 1964 federal law basically says it's unlawful to discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex national origin, or a protected activity. Race was drafted broadly to cover discrimination against any race -- whites (reverse discrimination) included. The EEOC takes complaints and enforces this law among others.

If you're talking about affirmative action, there are requirements and checks. Look @ the Title 7 definition below --

This is a systemic remedy intended to "make whole" a proven victimized group of discrimination (yes, even whites if the current order gets turned on its head--that's why we have majority rule but minority rights). I'm not advocating for/against race quotas, but this is the law and intent behind it, along with set limitations (strict scrutiny review by Supreme Court). Further, a private company does not have to practice mandatory affirmative action if it's not a federal contractor and meet minimum sales/employment #s. Private companies tend to follow profit, and therefore is most times colorblind and logically hire the best value/skill workers to max efficiency.

Being in a diverse city such as Sacramento does not mean whites (or any other race) are discriminated against. Rather, you'll more likely find that everyone is competing on equal footing based on merit. You might be interested to learn that on the state level, California forbids any affirmative action under Proposition 209 --

Your school will/can not "throw you away" via EEOC/quotas. This is not how the EEOC or affirmative action works--which is implemented at the enrollment stage. What may get you thrown out is academic probation. Unfortunately, making America white again is not going to solve the problem of bad grades or getting a degree in a low-demand sector. You'll still be unemployed. So, I'd get back to studying instead of finding someone else to blame.
I wasn't talking about my school. I was talking about getting a job. I still plan to study, but I am wondering about how I'll pay back all the money me and my family are spending on my college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento