Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times

Advertisements

You're overthinking this. And if you're faiilng classes, you'd better address THAT problem instead of looking for racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
I wasn't able to find anything for Sacramento specifically. I doubt there is such a thing. Either way, I mainly got to the claim in the first place from first hand experience of noting that there were hardly any white guys in the fields I had experience in.
Have you personally surveyed every hospitality employer in Sacramento about the demographics of their workforce? Or are you basing your statements on a few encounters with a few employers?

It definitely sounds like you are having trouble finding a job, but without actual factual data to back up your statement that the only reason you're not getting hired is because you're white, all you are doing is speculating and blaming your lack of success on other people.

That sort of thinking can be dangerous when you're looking for a job because it sets you up for failure. No employer --- especially in the hospitality industry -- wants to hire someone who blames others for his/her shortcomings or failures. And, certainly in the hospitality industry any hint that you are biased against any demographic group would be a red flag to employers. And, if you go into interviews thinking the cards are going to be stacked against you, it's possible that you are coveying an image that doesn't appeal to employers in a customer-service focused industry.

That may or may not be what's happening in your case, but it is something to mull over.

Perhaps there is something YOU can do to change your job hunting approach -- rewrite your resume, get some additional training, apply to jobs in a different industry, beef up your interviewing skills, etc. -- rather than just say its' all the employers' faults that you're not getting hired. You might also make an appointment with the career center at your school and ask for some feedback on your resume and interview skills. Perhaps the career center would also have some suggestions for you of employers who are hiring students from your school.

I know it is frustrating and hard to be looking for a job and not getting any offers. Hang in there, keep a positive attitude, and best wishes for success soon!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Stealth selective hiring practice: Require fluency in Spanish.
I've usually seen that on jobs where communicating with Spanish speakers is part of the day-to-day activities. Seems to me it makes as much sense as requiring fluency in English when the job requires you to communicate with people in English. Also I'm not sure how it would be considered "stealth" if it is written in the job requirements?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:17 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,840 times
Quote:
There's another component to this as well - women are in the vast majority of the positions that I've been applying for. (Specifically, I've worked in front desk and night audit positions at the two hotels I worked at). Meanwhile, when I go up to say, Rocklin, or Roseville (or even south of Sacramento), I've noticed that there's a slightly more concentration of men working the jobs I want to apply for.
It's a pretty easy reverse commute, so you can always apply to jobs in those location if you prefer to be in a workplace environment dominated by white males. Be sure to indicate your preferences in this regard in your cover letter.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:24 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
This is kind of what I was going at - even though in Sacramento itself has a minority white population, the businesses that operate within it - particularly multinational ones like Marriott, etc., see someone like me, a white man, as 'the majority' and thus put up quotas/diversity and don't consider white men

There are plenty of white guys in Sacramento who have jobs.

Maybe the problem is not Sacramento?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I've usually seen that on jobs where communicating with Spanish speakers is part of the day-to-day activities. Seems to me it makes as much sense as requiring fluency in English when the job requires you to communicate with people in English. Also I'm not sure how it would be considered "stealth" if it is written in the job requirements?
The operative words were "stealth selective." It makes much less sense than requiring/assuming fluency in the predominant language of the land.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 AM

258 posts, read 292,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You're overthinking this. And if you're faiilng classes, you'd better address THAT problem instead of looking for racism.
Again, it was JUST ONE CLASS!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
There are plenty of white guys in Sacramento who have jobs.

Maybe the problem is not Sacramento?
In upper level jobs yes. Not so much in the lower and entry level jobs, which is where I'm looking...

Old 01-28-2017, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
Again, it was JUST ONE CLASS!
Yeah, but you're competing with people who could PASS their class.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Yeah, but you're competing with people who could PASS their class.
And I technically did - I just needed a slightly better grade in order to get into higher end classes. That's not the question though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento