Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM

258 posts, read 292,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the unemployment rate for white males in Sacramento (and the U.S.) is lower than it is for Black males and Hispanic males.

It would be hard to make a claim of "white bias" keeping you from getting a job if that is the case.

Please look up the data, and get back to us.
Coming back to this thread due to inactivity, and I decided to choose your thread. I read somewhere that according to U.S. Bureau of Labor, it's not whites but HISPANICS that are getting the most job gains, followed by blacks. White men come in DEAD LAST - on NATIONAL AVERAGE.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
Coming back to this thread due to inactivity, and I decided to choose your thread. I read somewhere that according to U.S. Bureau of Labor, it's not whites but HISPANICS that are getting the most job gains, followed by blacks. White men come in DEAD LAST - on NATIONAL AVERAGE.

Well I'm not sure where you are getting this so-called data because according to the ACTUAL January 2017 unemployment report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Asians (3.7 percent) increased in January. The jobless rates for adult men (4.4 percent), adult women (4.4 percent), teenagers (15.0 percent), Whites (4.3 percent), Blacks (7.7 percent), and Hispanics (5.9 percent) showed little or no change.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Note also that the unemployment rate for whites is significantly lower than both Blacks and Hispanics.

Now that's national data. Perhaps you can link to the actual BLS data for Sacramento to support your theory that job growth there is better than for whites. I'd be happy to read it!

How is your job search going? Better I hope - hang in there, and good luck!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Well I'm not sure where you are getting this so-called data because according to the ACTUAL January 2017 unemployment report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Asians (3.7 percent) increased in January. The jobless rates for adult men (4.4 percent), adult women (4.4 percent), teenagers (15.0 percent), Whites (4.3 percent), Blacks (7.7 percent), and Hispanics (5.9 percent) showed little or no change.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Note also that the unemployment rate for whites is significantly lower than both Blacks and Hispanics.

Now that's national data. Perhaps you can link to the actual BLS data for Sacramento to support your theory that job growth there is better than for whites. I'd be happy to read it!

How is your job search going? Better I hope - hang in there, and good luck!
That's the unemployment rate. I'm talking about the rate in which people are getting jobs, and Hispanics definitely lead in that one. Just look at articles like this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/09/b...oups.html?_r=0

Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
That's the unemployment rate. I'm talking about the rate in which people are getting jobs, and Hispanics definitely lead in that one. Just look at articles like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/09/b...oups.html?_r=0
That's way different than claiming that fewer whites are getting jobs than minorities, but seriously in the time you spent looking for that you could have been looking for a job...

Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's way different than claiming that fewer whites are getting jobs than minorities, but seriously in the time you spent looking for that you could have been looking for a job...
I have been looking for jobs! What part of me do you think hasn't?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,045,307 times
The part of me that sees you constantly posting here instead of out looking for a job - all the time (when you aren't studying) - tells me that you aren't looking hard enough.

I guess you are just too lazy - we should send you back to whatever state you came from.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
The part of me that sees you constantly posting here instead of out looking for a job - all the time (when you aren't studying) - tells me that you aren't looking hard enough.

I guess you are just too lazy - we should send you back to whatever state you came from.
It appears to me that you keep returning to this thread because you want confirmation that somehow you can't get a job because you are a white male. It just seems to me that the energy you are expending in trying to prove that hypothesis might be better spent job hunting.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Now, now, let's be fair. You can't look for a job 24 hours a day. We've all been there, and it isn't fun to be looking for work.

But, perhaps CA2000 can get some job hunting tips from folks here on City Data?

CA2000, how are you finding the jobs you're applying for? Are you using Craigslist or other online sources? Have you been over to talk to your school's career services office about employers who may be looking to hire students or recent grads?

Tell us a little more about how you're approaching your job search, and maybe people might have some suggestions for resources you can take advantage of in Sacramento to help with your job hunt.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post

You don't think I can do both things simultaneously? And California is where I AM FROM.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Now, now, let's be fair. You can't look for a job 24 hours a day. We've all been there, and it isn't fun to be looking for work.

But, perhaps CA2000 can get some job hunting tips from folks here on City Data?

CA2000, how are you finding the jobs you're applying for? Are you using Craigslist or other online sources? Have you been over to talk to your school's career services office about employers who may be looking to hire students or recent grads?

Tell us a little more about how you're approaching your job search, and maybe people might have some suggestions for resources you can take advantage of in Sacramento to help with your job hunt.
Mostly through Craigslist as well as through company websites. And I have gone to the career office a few times. I've even called places such as the large DoubleTree hotel outright to see if they are hiring...

And I have been getting callbacks for interviews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento