Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
I am very involved. I volunteer at my son's school one day a week. Even with having 2 other younger children. Yes, I have tried to organize a picnic at the school playground and 2 families out of 20 showed up. As I said earlier, I have reached out. When I was at my son's class party, there were other moms talking to each other about getting together ouside of school right in front of me. They never offered for me to join them.
It was like that for me for a long time. I have just recently found my own circle. It may take awhile, but there are people out there who will want to be around you and offer you to join them in their outings and get togethers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

258 posts, read 638,250 times
Merovee,
What makes you think I don't have the same lifestyle or I don't dress the same?
I never said I did or didn't.
Are you saying that AH has a certain lifestyle and look and I obviously don't have it? That has to be the reason I'm not feeling welcome? It can't be anyone in AH? It MUST be ME!? I need to look like an AH person (whatever that is) or get out? That's what it sounds like you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
rarichie it sounds like you are doing everything you can then. Sorry for your experience and hopefully it turns for the better somehow. The last thing you can do is attempt to mirror the lifestyle of other parents and hopefully a new crop will be more welcoming next year. If you dress the same chances are you will be viewed the same. If not there are other parts of the city.

Social climate?

Alamo Heights though has much better test scores than MacArthur. Also test scores are just a baseline which do not consider how many AP classes are available, graduation rates, how many go on to attend college, or the social climate which plays a great part in everything I just listed. In either case, no smuboy, MacArthur does not outrank Alamo Heights on test scores alone. It is doubtful it is going to excel at any other category that counts either.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,827,850 times
Never had a problem with the people of SA. That was one of the few positives that I can admit to. Made friends easily, even though we traveled quite a bit (and still do) and weren't home very often. People were nice, but I didn't get too deep with very many. I could tell that they were just wondering where their next taco was going to come from.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I share the same sentiments as Matt and Skeet, except, I'm in my mid-20s which amplifies the problem. I have no interesting in Fiesta, clubbing, or bar hopping. I love the Spurs, but I like to have conversations about more meaningful things too, so most of my friends are much older than me. My family moved around so much, I lost touch with my academic UIL and AP friends.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,128,325 times
I do think so. When I lived in Austin and Phoenix your really never could just say hi to folk without them giving you some kinda look. Cant strangers just say hi to one another without drama??

Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
IMO, SA was a super friendly place back in the 80s and part of the 90s. It has changed a lot since back then. I would have to agree, seems nobody has much time... or they are to wrapped up in themselves to bother....
I agree.....I suppose a lot of the time {if not most of the time} it's also mainly for reasons of MONEY, because even my father {who has lived here all of his life} periodically comments about how he has never ever seen so many people left-and-right somehow always perpetually-trying to get money from you somehow either by panhandling, or some too-often Random Stranger asking for "just a couple of bucks", some fundraising effort {whether legitimate or not} asking for yet more donations, some scheming relative, etc.....

But perhaps if more millionaires lived in San Antonio you might actually see more smiles here, ha!

"They say money doesn't buy happiness but just check-out the smile on my face!" -a very happy Ben Affleck brandishing his winnings from a gambling table once

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
Merovee,
What makes you think I don't have the same lifestyle or I don't dress the same?
I never said I did or didn't.
Are you saying that AH has a certain lifestyle and look and I obviously don't have it?
That was exactly what I was saying except I never said 'obviously' but do wonder if 'most likely' you don't have it. Why else would you be singled out as others make plans right in front of you?

Do you dress the same as others in Alamo Heights? Do you have heaps of Lilly in your closet, if younger, or Chico's if older, for example?

Do you have a terrible inner city or country accent? There are classes for that. Whatever the reason is that makes you different in their eyes is most likely superficial and obvious to them. If one does not want to try to fit in then they can hardly expect to be accepted, it is like that everywhere, not just there. It is also true you would probably fit in better somewhere else.

Last edited by Merovee; 01-06-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
That was exactly what I was saying except I never said 'obviously' but do wonder if 'most likely' you don't have it. Why else would you be singled out as others make plans right in front of you?

Do you dress the same as others in Alamo Heights? Do you have heaps of Lily in your closet, if younger, or Chico's if older, for example?

Do you have a terrible inner city or country accent? There are classes for that. Whatever the reason is that makes you different in their eyes is most likely superficial and obvious to them. If one does not want to try to fit in then they can hardly expect to be accepted, it is like that everywhere, not just there. It is also true you would probably fit in better somewhere else.
If I had to take speech classes, dress a certain way, and shop at certain stores to be accepted in AH, I would never want to live there. Honestly, at the moment I do not have any desire to live there as I am happy where I am but that is not to say AH is a terrible place to live. In fact, I think it is a great area of San Antonio.

Where I choose to live, I want to be able to relax and enjoy my neighbors without having to worry about idotic things like that.

I have been to AH many times, I know people that live there.....I can tell you right now that majority of AH is NOT like that. The few that do exhibit the behavior you mention are probably the old money folks.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 AM

258 posts, read 638,250 times
Merovee,
Your honest opinion is that the parents of the children that my son goes to school with our superficial. Thank you for making that clear.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Perhaps? If you truly wanted advice to better your situation within its existing environment then that is what I offered. I am not sorry if it is unappreciated because I know in my view it is quite accurate and would help.

If you simply wanted to criticize those in and complain about that environment, such as claiming Zilker Park is relaxed and unpretentious as a way to infer that San Antonio, or Alamo Heights specifically, is not relaxed or pretentious, then count me out.

Zilker Park is nice though. Isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio