Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,633 times

Advertisements

According to research:

Higher education leads people to vote democratic (from the Pew Research Center):
Educational divide in vote preferences on track to be wider than in recent elections

Societies with higher average intelligence are more liberal, less religious, and more monogamous.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19302729

This post is not a knock on Republican's as there are both intelligent and unintelligent people in both groups of voters. However, overall, study after study shows their is a general correlation between the things above (general intelligence, education level, etc.) and the way one votes.

Because of these facts, and the fact that San Antonio and the Austin belt are increasing in the amount of high IQ tech jobs offered and that these jobs require a higher education, a reasonable and probably explanation is that those type of highly educated and intelligent people are migrating to the San Antonio Austin belt from all over the country because of the jobs and in doing so, the San Antonio Austin belt is becoming (more) blue.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 11-13-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,633 times
Also,

People in cities tend to vote Democratic and people in rural areas tend to vote Republican:
The growing Democratic domination of largest U.S. counties

As the world's human population and in effect, the US's and each cities population continues to increase, this statistic signifies that those who vote Democratic will grown in number versus those who vote Republican.

Other things that may be contributing to this shift:

The wealthiest of American's overwhelmingly vote Republican (likely for policies that let them keep their wealth) and that these policies aggravate income inequality:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiasa.../#6ea970be3e83

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...vors-the-rich/

Income inequality in America (which also includes San Antonio) has been getting worse:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/inco...ed-states.html

Despite the rhetoric that often comes from the Republican party that taxes are bad, when people discard bias and thoroughly research the subject, they will surprisingly find that people in other "highly taxed" countries that pay for social programs (such as Social Security, Universal Healthcare, free college education as long as GPA maintained) are actually happier overall to have to pay more for these social programs:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-..._b_894590.html

They will also find that overall, people in these "highly taxed" countries with Universal healthcare are actually healthier and that when profit is introduced into healthcare (such as in the US) people are sicker and the results of this "for profit" healthcare is worse:
https://interactives.commonwealthfun...mirror-mirror/

As an independent (neither Republican or Democrat), my assertion is both parties have their strengths and weaknesses. However, my view is that the Democratic party seems to be in favor of policies that benefit that greater good at the expense of a few and the Republican party seems to be in favor of policies that favor the few at the expense of many/most.

It is also my view that the Republican party tends to make and vote on policies that: keeps profit in healthcare, keeps education costs exorbitant, keeps income disparity/inequality high to benefit the few, removes (or significantly reduces) very beneficial social programs that benefit millions and that keeps government inadequate funded (despite the fact that history has shown us time and time again that tyranny - a small government without the checks and balances of a larger government, anarchy and the Wild West were very often detrimental to humanity).

As more people become more educated, do unbiased research, travel the world (instead of just listening to those in power who also happen to be rich, have an agenda and lobby well) and see how other very democratic and highly taxed countries are actually doing well and enjoy it and as the human population continues to increase, the democratic party will likely garner strength and numbers. This is only my speculation though as I am not psychic, I am just looking at the statistics, studies and facts.

Since San Antonio is not in a vacuum, what we are seeing with San Antonio being and becoming even more blue shows that my assertion is correct, at least, so far. Even Texas, while overwhelmingly red in the past is now purple and inching towards blue. The tides are turning. As more people get a higher education, become more concerned about the greater good and do thorough research on important matters (such as healthcare, income inequality, social programs and education etc.) with an unbiased and unselfish attitude, this will likely further accelerate this change from red to blue. Not just for San Antonio and Texas but for the nation.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 11-13-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 738,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Especially when it's considered a military city and cities with similar demographics like Corpus Christi where the Hispanic population is generations removed from Latin America vote red?
Its considered Alamo city, not military city. And not all of the hispanics here are generations removed. I regularly here Spanish spoken at my job.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Its considered Alamo city, not military city.
Because you said so? Whom determines what the other name(s) of San Antonio are?

You don't speak for me and as long I have lived here which is a long time...never called this city "Alamo City".

Old 11-13-2018, 01:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

You don't speak for me and as long I have lived here which is a long time...never called this city "Alamo City".
Well it seems every other business in town is named Alamo and here on the South Side, Mission.

As John Waters might say “Alamo Airport, Alamo Barbershop, Alamo Carwash, Alamo Drugstore”

Old 11-13-2018, 02:09 PM

554 posts, read 1,068,835 times
Quote:

And I say it is the "River City".

Old 11-13-2018, 03:19 PM

173 posts, read 290,242 times
Quote:
Its considered Alamo city, not military city. And not all of the hispanics here are generations removed. I regularly here Spanish spoken at my job.
Yep. 40% of total English speakers in San Antonio speak Spanish at home.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM

502 posts, read 392,122 times
Quote:
There may be a couple here and there but wouldn't you say the vast majority of Hispanics in San Antonio have no ties to Latin America though?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM

82 posts, read 103,558 times
Quote:

Lots of cities have rivers, so River City isn't the best nickname. What other city has The Alamo?

You may want to go edit San Antonio's wikipedia page that states "often referred to as "Alamo City" and sources the SA Business Journal. There's a reason why we have the Alamodome, Alamo City Comic Con, Alamo City Music Hall, and why thousands of businesses in SA begin with "Alamo". You live in a city that many refer to as Alamo City, like it or not. Another nickname for SA is Mission City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...names_in_Texas

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...3/daily16.html

Old 11-13-2018, 05:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 738,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well it seems every other business in town is named Alamo and here on the South Side, Mission.

As John Waters might say “Alamo Airport, Alamo Barbershop, Alamo Carwash, Alamo Drugstore”
Good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio