Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 10:36 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone agrees with me but in my opinion, this thread has run its course and should be closed. It is no longer about a "shooting at an elementary school just outside San Antonio".

Old 06-06-2022, 10:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There are over 20,000 gun laws in this country. Breaking them are generally felonies....yet being a felon in possession of a firearm is one of the firm things plea-bargained out. And a felon attempting to buy a gun is a felony....check the FBI stats on how many try it each year...and how many are prosecuted. We HAVE the laws - but your judges are enforcing the laws.
How many of these shooters come from abusive homes? How many have long exhibited the warning signs that they're going to "go off the deep end"....yet nothing is done? How many students assault other students AND teachers with deadly weapons.....and yet nothing really becomes of it? The core issue here is a complete lack of consequences for illegal actions, starting in the schools.......yet NOT ONE parent is demanding something be done. Instead, it's easier to blame an inanimate object that by itself is benign unless picked up with evil intent. There are millions of guns in this country that harm no one daily - y'all need to stop looking for SOMETHING to blame, and start demanding that there be consequences.
and... how many of the mass shooters have a felony record? Or even have a bit of history as law breakers / minor offenses?

Consquences is a subject we talked over amoungst friends last night at a Texas BBQ.
We all had rifles in our pickups during high school (While in the parking lot mind you), yet no one got shot or was it even a thought (Tho we all had plenty of bullying / violent / abusive classmates.)

We all knew the consequences (which were unwritten / unexpressed but very well known!!!)
There was no 'gray area'. We messed up.... we would suffer the consequences. We KNEW that and acted accordingly. To our classmates, teachers, employers, neighbors, and our enemies.

Not a word had to be spoken, as there was no question the consequences would be applied by our firends, neighbors, bosses, teachers, principles, parents, grandarents (for me, my parents HATED kids and didn't want us around, suprised thet did not shoot us or drown us). My principal was fired the yr after I graduated because he USED 'the persuader' which always we knew he would. Consequences at home were much worse (Dairy Farm Boarding School).

Old 06-06-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and... how many of the mass shooters have a felony record? Or even have a bit of history as law breakers / minor offenses?

Consquences is a subject we talked over amoungst friends last night at a Texas BBQ.
We all had rifles in our pickups during high school (While in the parking lot mind you), yet no one got shot or was it even a thought (Tho we all had plenty of bullying / violent / abusive classmates.)

We all knew the consequences (which were unwritten / unexpressed but very well known!!!)
There was no 'gray area'. We messed up.... we would suffer the consequences. We KNEW that and acted accordingly. To our classmates, teachers, employers, neighbors, and our enemies.

Not a word had to be spoken, as there was no question the consequences would be applied by our firends, neighbors, bosses, teachers, principles, parents, grandarents (for me, my parents HATED kids and didn't want us around, suprised thet did not shoot us or drown us). My principal was fired the yr after I graduated because he USED 'the persuader' which always we knew he would. Consequences at home were much worse (Dairy Farm Boarding School).
I love your stories. They are great. I just prefer non-fiction ones more on city-data.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:30 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The Uvalde shooter had a history of animal abuse - a common theme among these types.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I love your stories. They are great. I just prefer non-fiction ones more on city-data.
Actually, he IS speaking factually. His experiences/expectations mirror mine. Thing is, the society today glorifies the type of boorish behavior and anti-social tendencies, then turns around and says "We need to DO SOMETHING about this...."

Of course, THEY don't want to be the one to do anything....

Old 06-06-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Actually, he IS speaking factually. His experiences/expectations mirror mine. Thing is, the society today glorifies the type of boorish behavior and anti-social tendencies, then turns around and says "We need to DO SOMETHING about this...."

Of course, THEY don't want to be the one to do anything....
He may or may not at the moment. Past post history of the poster makes it hard for me to separate fact from fiction.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I was looking at Google Maps photos of the funeral home across the street and looks like I found a class photo of the group where so many were killed and injured. It looks to be from an opening / remodeling ceremony for the home from Oct 2020 when they would've been 2nd grade. 95% sure I recognise four kids from the images of those killed and a couple others might be too. I about fell out of my chair when I saw this. Really hits hard to see kids together smiling for a group photo when so many of them later died together.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...!14m1!1BCgIgAQ

Old 06-06-2022, 04:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Its political because POLICIES matter. The lax gun laws in this country, especially Texas, are contributing to this bloodshed.
If that is true. Why do cities with epic gun laws often have the worst crime and murder rates?

Old 06-06-2022, 04:42 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Pretty sure it's common knowledge that guns were often in pick up trucks at high schools in the south back in the 50s or 60s. I have heard the same stories from relatives.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:33 PM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Pretty sure it's common knowledge that guns were often in pick up trucks at high schools in the south back in the 50s or 60s. I have heard the same stories from relatives.
Kids in high school in the 50s and 60s were not carrying rifles with advanced optics, loaded with 30 round magazines and another couple hundred rounds on stand by. GTFO with these leave it to beaver comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio