Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times

Advertisements

This pisses me off. It’s only common courtesy to give people priority to park in front of their own house. Especially if you have a disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyAndJustice View Post
Asking for advice:
Our neighbors have a LOT of vehicles. They park 4 in the driveway and 3 on the street. Our house was vacant for a long time before we moved in and they got accustomed to parking in front of our house. When we moved in and I started parking there, they would literally wait until I went to the store and move a car into that spot.
We have a motorcycle in the garage, two cars in the driveway and MY car on the street for a specific reason. Our driveway is at a STEEP angle and I had back surgery a year ago because of degeneration from Lupus. I can't get in and out of the car at that incline!
We've asked nicely but the one girl is a REAL snot about it! In fact, she just left her car there for four days straight!
Any advice on dealing with them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
This pisses me off. It’s only common courtesy to give people priority to park in front of their own house. Especially if you have a disability.
Since it is a public street, about all you can do is approach your neighbor, explain that you have a medical condition that makes it difficult to get in and out of your car when parked in your steep driveway, and politely ask if they wouldn't mind leaving space in front of your house that would allow you to park your car there. If they agree, be sure to tell them how much you appreciate their understanding and cooperation.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Since it is a public street, about all you can do is approach your neighbor, explain that you have a medical condition that makes it difficult to get in and out of your car when parked in your steep driveway, and politely ask if they wouldn't mind leaving space in front of your house that would allow you to park your car there. If they agree, be sure to tell them how much you appreciate their understanding and cooperation.
Yep, know what the public street “laws” are, but common courtesy “should” trump certain laws IMO. His neighbors just seem like trash and typical a**holes. He shouldn’t have to explain himself in full detail OR ask to park in front of his own house IMO. When house hunting, we are quick to take any house of our list if the neighbors have 4 or more cars. That is just an unfriendly relationship waiting to happen.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
What about a call to 311? Are you in the city limits? Cars are not be left unattended for more then 24 hours. My parents have a neighbor that has an old truck they use for hunting trips on the weekend that they park on the side of their house (they have a corner lot). It sat there for weeks. My sister and I occasionally would need to park on the other side of the street (other neighbors with more cars in other areas that would potentially be available, mail boxes, driveways, etc). We called 311 and they ragged the car. He got the idea and moved it. Quickly.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
What about a call to 311? Are you in the city limits? Cars are not be left unattended for more then 24 hours. My parents have a neighbor that has an old truck they use for hunting trips on the weekend that they park on the side of their house (they have a corner lot). It sat there for weeks. My sister and I occasionally would need to park on the other side of the street (other neighbors with more cars in other areas that would potentially be available, mail boxes, driveways, etc). We called 311 and they ragged the car. He got the idea and moved it. Quickly.
If the poster is inside COSA City Limits, that may be the only option, given they say they already approached the neighbor, and they were uncooperative, and left their car parked there for 3 days straight in retaliation. Just understand things can go from bad to worse, if the neighbor gets tagged for vehicle storage on the street. I think you're out of options otherwise, if the neighbor won't cooperate.

So seven vehicles in one household? My gosh. How many people live in that house?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,808 times
Quote:
If the poster is inside COSA City Limits, that may be the only option, given they say they already approached the neighbor, and they were uncooperative, and left their car parked there for 3 days straight in retaliation. Just understand things can go from bad to worse, if the neighbor gets tagged for vehicle storage on the street. I think you're out of options otherwise, if the neighbor won't cooperate.

So seven vehicles in one household? My gosh. How many people live in that house?
The mom, the dad, three kids and two of the kids' friends live there.
For us it's me, my husband and our two boys (both 21).
It's one of the friends that we have the issue with. When we explained the situation, she rolled her eyes and said, "I haven't received a letter from the city telling me I can't park there." I asked her if she REALLY needed a letter from the city to be a decent person. She called me a nasty name, flipped me off and walked away.
Now she's driving a car with a disabled tag in the window and made a big production of putting on the mirror while I was sitting on the porch. As in, she put in up, looked at me, pointed to it and laughed. I think she overheard my cousin say something about petitioning the city to have that spot zoned as disabled parking.
I walk with a cane and have fallen several times getting in out of the car on the driveway incline. It's just sad that RESPECT and COURTESY have gone the way of the DoDo! I was taught differently and so were our children!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyAndJustice View Post
The mom, the dad, three kids and two of the kids' friends live there.
For us it's me, my husband and our two boys (both 21).
It's one of the friends that we have the issue with. When we explained the situation, she rolled her eyes and said, "I haven't received a letter from the city telling me I can't park there." I asked her if she REALLY needed a letter from the city to be a decent person. She called me a nasty name, flipped me off and walked away.
Now she's driving a car with a disabled tag in the window and made a big production of putting on the mirror while I was sitting on the porch. As in, she put in up, looked at me, pointed to it and laughed. I think she overheard my cousin say something about petitioning the city to have that spot zoned as disabled parking.
I walk with a cane and have fallen several times getting in out of the car on the driveway incline. It's just sad that RESPECT and COURTESY have gone the way of the DoDo! I was taught differently and so were our children!
Then call 311. They’ll get her a nice bright letter stuck to her drivef’s dude window.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 1,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I agree. My Dad and grandparents taught me you give priority to 1. the elderly, 2. the disabled, and 3. pregnant women! (Never understood the last one until I was 8 months along with the second one and had a rowdy 3 year old on my hands but I listened to him anyway!)
I guess we come from a different generation and those values just aren't getting imparted to these 20 somethings anymore!
I will, indeed, be taking the advice of others and calling 311 since the vehicle has been there since Friday evening (and she flipped me off AGAIN when she parked it there).
I didn't want to take that kind of action (and frankly didn't know who to call since we recently relocated from Phoenix), but it seems they are leaving me no choice.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:37 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
BTW.....mention that "disabled" tag, as well. If it's not legit, that's a ticketable offense.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,041 times
I understand while a lot of these *******s on here don't. I live on a street where want to be mechanics and neighbors who have 3 and 4 cars take up all the parking. my guests have no where to park. Not to mention the 3 to 4 families living in a single dwelling home and there cars. Its not right. My advice is to proactive if you have a car that you don't use that much park it in front of your house and only move it on street sweeping and if you have company that needs the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio