Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Yeah well there is logic in having contempt for people who buy a house and see its value increase 20-30x in about as many years and gloat about it. They are the people who support the policies that create the housing shortage. They engage in NIMBYist activism, blocking building projects in their area, complaining it would impact their "quality of life" with increased traffic etc. The underlying philosophy being "I got mine, now keep everyone else away from me". They are unconcerned about housing shortages because solving that "problem" would hurt their personal financial portfolio.
If I owned a nice home hers perhaps my opinion would be different. Just sayin there is another side.
In SoCal I think a lot of our housing woes are partly a result of the failed immigration policies of the last 30+ years but its not very popular to promote the MAGA platform so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
As expensive as homes I've gotten in San Diego, let's count our blessings. Take a peek at homes for sale in Irvine, Laguna Beach, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, most of LA, Santa Barbara, Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Marin County, and even the East Bay, and you'll quickly see that we still have some of the most affordable real estate of California's big Metro areas. In my Eastbay Suburban Hometown, I just saw a shabby tract home from the early 1970s, never remodeled and completely original, under 2200 square feet, hit the market for $1000000, get 200 people at the first open house, and sell within 5 days for $1,250,000, a total fixer with practically zero usable landscaping and no pool. And by the area standards, that's a deal. You'll pay 2 million dollars for the same house in Silicon Valley. That same style of home might be $750,000 in Poway, seemingly expensive for what it is, but a bargain by California standards.

The problem isn't so much our prices but rather the jobs and the salaries being somewhat Limited. We've all heard the moniker of the sunshine tax, meaning that people are willing to take lower salaries in order to live here, and although there are many other places in California and the Southwest that are just as sunny and pay much higher salaries, people are drawn to a particular lifestyle in San Diego and rarely come here because of a job transfer, but rather because they want to move here specifically, and that certainly does drive down salaries. You would think that would make us a no-brainer for tech company expansion looking to capitalize on our highly educated Workforce and cost of living. As this is happening only in moderation, I think San Diego is still somewhat of a misunderstood and Hidden Gem in California, permanently Typecast as primarily a vacation and Military town, even though we are much more International and highly educated than the stereotype.

We could put up with even higher real estate prices if the jobs and salaries made up for the affordability Gap, but then we would be dealing with even worse traffic and congestion, and part of our appeal is that as bad as our traffic is, we are nowhere near as bad as the rest of the state or even much of the country. Our medium size metro area lifestyle is a part of the appeal.

We will certainly continue to have Growing Pains like everywhere else.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People can still own a home, for cheap it's just not going to be in San Diego. In many States you can still get a decent house for under 50 grand.

I'm cashing out in two years tops. Probably buy both my kids a house in one of those areas so they won't have to deal with a mortgage payment. We can always come back here to visit.
My guess is that these 50K houses will be in undesirable areas with no economy: rust belt, ghettos, middle of nowhere with horrible climate, or some combination of these.

If not, I'd be curious to see some examples.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
My guess is that these 50K houses will be in undesirable areas with no economy: rust belt, ghettos, middle of nowhere with horrible climate, or some combination of these.

If not, I'd be curious to see some examples.

Pick a State and do some research. Here is a random one https://www.century21.com/real-estat...p=REN032310893
another https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...earch/Tyler_TX

Let me guess, anything but S Cal ~ is no economy: rust belt, ghettos, middle of nowhere with horrible climate, or some combination of these.

Thus why housing here now starts at 500 grand.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-29-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Pick a State and do some research. Here is a random one https://www.century21.com/real-estat...p=REN032310893
another https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...earch/Tyler_TX

Let me guess, anything but S Cal ~ is no economy: rust belt, ghettos, middle of nowhere with horrible climate, or some combination of these.

Thus why housing here now starts at 500 grand.
For Tyler, TX, all I'm seeing is empty lots for 50K.

For Scottsbluff, NE: It's a town of 15,000 with medium incomes of 30K and 20K for males/females. I feel like a family of two would be giving up more in income by moving there, than they'd be saving by not having a mortgage. Plus, at the end of your mortgage, you have a house in SD, but in Scottsbluff, you got the same 50K house you paid for in the beginning.

Of course, that depends on what you do: if you are a writer or an eBay merchant, location probably does not affect your income much.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:

For Scottsbluff, NE: It's a town of 15,000 with medium incomes of 30K and 20K for males/females. I feel like a family of two would be giving up more in income by moving there, than they'd be saving by not having a mortgage. Plus, at the end of your mortgage, you have a house in SD, but in Scottsbluff, you got the same 50K house you paid for in the beginning.

Of course, that depends on what you do: if you are a writer or an eBay merchant, location probably does not affect your income much.
But, as I stated, one can still get a home for 50 grand in a safe area. If home ownership is reason #1 then it's still out there. Why people think it will ever go back to that in S Cal is beyond me cause that ship sailed in 1970. There are 50 grand houses all over the US. It's just not going to be on the coast, any coast. Well, actually the Florida panhandle still has some great deals.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM

1AngryTaxPayer, if you leave, the illuminati win.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
I have two friends that move to Tyler from the SF Bay Area...

One family and one single guy.

The single worked for Fedex and owned a 900 square foot home in the East Bay... he was really not tied here and started looking for options...

Bought 160 acres outside of Tyler... and built his own home... no permits required... sold off 60 acres several years later and realized enough to cover the cost of his 100 acres and the home he built...

Over the last 10 years all of his California family has joined him in Texas... he married and said moving to Tyler was the best thing that ever happened to him... raises horses/livestock and has his contractor's license... always enough business.

In fairness... he got his grub stake from selling his 900 square foot home so California made it possible to realize his dream...

Old 01-29-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have two friends that move to Tyler from the SF Bay Area...

One family and one single guy.

The single worked for Fedex and owned a 900 square foot home in the East Bay... he was really not tied here and started looking for options...

Bought 160 acres outside of Tyler... and built his own home... no permits required... sold off 60 acres several years later and realized enough to cover the cost of his 100 acres and the home he built...

Over the last 10 years all of his California family has joined him in Texas... he married and said moving to Tyler was the best thing that ever happened to him... raises horses/livestock and has his contractor's license... always enough business.

In fairness... he got his grub stake from selling his 900 square foot home so California made it possible to realize his dream...
SHHHHHH I heard Tyler is a skeeter infested, hot swamp

Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
The latest Case-Shiller index shows SD had the 4th highest price increase among 20 cities.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...ows-2018-01-30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego