Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The question isn’t how many become unemployed. The question is: for how long.

And the answer is: this will be the shortest recession in modern history.
This
I don't see the unemployment spike lasting very long
My daughter is going in for a job interview either today or tomorrow at Vons.
Lots of big companies or still hiring, even in this environment.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
It’s interesting when they will crackdown on Costco’s too. Or shut down it’s parking lot and only accept drive Thru pickups. I saw on the news in Santee Costco is a far worse situation than even the weekend crowds at trails with long lines going in with large amounts of people especially elderly standing in close quarters and more lines for things like toilet paper inside together in addition to the checkout line the parking lot is pretty packed too.
Closing down the boardwalk only forced more traffic on the narrow crowded sidewalks of Mission Blvd. Not good. Wouldn’t a better alternative be to close down parking lots or blocking many spaces between open spaces(they already did that on Sunday), using lifeguard PAs to remind people to not get to close to others, sealing the beach fire rings, and maybe setting up crowd control metering for drivers coming down from the freeways in the worst case scenarios would be a better idea don’t you think?

I probably shouldn’t give more ideas though.
Actually Costco is doing a great job (the ones I’ve seen) yelling are people and getting everyone to stand six feet apart while they are in line.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This
Right. In fact, as previously linked, Kroeger is actively - as in right now today as we write - during this COVID19 crisis - hiring 10,000 new employees ... average better than $15 hour plus benefits. Walmart is similarly hiring.

Kroeger and Walmart not your kind of job and pay? Yeah. But point is, those jobs / pay scales are the ones most hit by these short term layoffs (restaurant workers, et al).

The country will be back to work very shortly.

Construction has mostly never stopped during this.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Right. In fact, as previously linked, Kroeger is actively - as in right now today as we write - during this COVID19 crisis - hiring 10,000 new employees ... average better than $15 hour plus benefits. Walmart is similarly hiring.

Kroeger and Walmart not your kind of job and pay? Yeah. But point is, those jobs / pay scales are the ones most hit by these short term layoffs (restaurant workers, et al).

The country will be back to work very shortly.

Construction has mostly never stopped during this.
Let's see how the travel industry is affected by all of this. For a city that needs tourism as a major industry, I don't get the sense that people are going to immediately feel like they can/want to jump into an airplane and visit America's finest city.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,315,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Actually Costco is doing a great job (the ones I’ve seen) yelling are people and getting everyone to stand six feet apart while they are in line.
Though still incidental contact is at times unavoidable in tight quarters both inside and outside in line. Shopping Carts might still get infected no matter how much you try to wipe them. And its an enclosed building never the less. A Costco run is still much more dangerous than open space which allows people to gain Vitamin D and strengthen their immune system after being couped up at homes, apartments, condos, high rises, home offices, or workplaces if they still need to go. 65 and over hour had resulted in a lot of seniors converging in line during that hour.
Also why not have lifeguard PA systems or helicopters use the PA to remind people of the dangers and block spaces between parking spaces instead. I heard people getting sick after making a Costco run, but not yet a trail run.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This
A friend just moved to Sacramento and started looking for a job. She already got one last week. Despite what some think, it’s not all death and destruction out there.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though still incidental contact is at times unavoidable in tight quarters both inside and outside in line. Shopping Carts might still get infected no matter how much you try to wipe them. And its an enclosed building never the less. A Costco run is still much more dangerous than open space which allows people to gain Vitamin D and strengthen their immune system after being couped up at homes, apartments, condos, high rises, home offices, or workplaces if they still need to go. 65 and over hour had resulted in a lot of seniors converging in line during that hour.
Also why not have lifeguard PA systems or helicopters use the PA to remind people of the dangers and block spaces between parking spaces instead. I heard people getting sick after making a Costco run, but not yet a trail run.
Stores are now doing special hours for seniors, including Costco. I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick after going to Costco.

You simply can’t shut down food stores and that will not happen. PA systems and helicopters sound like a police state and an extreme fear reaction. I’m not going to be afraid of going out or going to a store, if I need to. We do weekly shopping and we will be going either Friday or Saturday.

I understand the need for precautions, but not letting fear rule your life.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:40 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,458,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
eIf we stay locked down for 6 weeks there will be nothing to come back to.

The more dire modeling I've read shows that in the absence of a vaccine, a return to normal in such a short span of time would be equivalent to having never shut down at all, defeating the whole purpose of trying to stem the spread. The big problem right now is all the uncertainty in the variables.

link

Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,458,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Stores are now doing special hours for seniors, including Costco. I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick after going to Costco.

Brief, casual co-mingling among people is unlikely the main vector for the virus. Nonetheless, I'm glad stores have put these measures in place. The latest data I read says that more people in the 18-49 year range are testing positive than the higher age groups now. But that shouldn't be a surprise if we assume that the older groups have heeded the warnings from weeks ago and stayed out of the public as much as possible.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:34 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Let's see how the travel industry is affected by all of this. For a city that needs tourism as a major industry, I don't get the sense that people are going to immediately feel like they can/want to jump into an airplane and visit America's finest city.
Of course travel / tourism will take a hard hit ... and then it will recover. Although I do wonder about the cruise ship industry. But then I’ve never gotten how that’s such a thing anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego