Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM

119 posts, read 184,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I don't doubt that at all.

The difference is I'm not in Oakland. I am a disinterested observer in Fresno.
Okay. Well I don't know anything about Fresno except that there is lots of good produce there.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcatgirl View Post
He didn't say that EVERY person there wanted to live in San Francisco. He said there were people there that were priced out of S.F. which is probably true.
Do note his generalization. I'm not disputing that some have left SF for Oakland due to housing prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I think it's because Oakland is cheap. Much cheaper than S.F, and I've pointed this out on numerous occasions. People move to Oakland as a 2nd choice because they got priced out of places like S.F. Most of my Oakland tenants have previous addresses in S.F.
In response to my post:

Quote:
I don't disagree with the bolded really.

However we do have people flocking to Oakland to make it as the housing is cheaper there than anywhere else in the bay area generally relative to the rest of the Bay Area. So while we point out that the housing is cheap and a draw, you think it's not a desirable place to live. It's desirable partially due to that very same cheap housing, Doc, which compensates for the crime rate for some people. In addition to the other fine things that you enjoy to talk about sometimes. Including that little sandwich shop.

And there are still safe and desirable places to live in Oakland. While crime may be random on a personal basis, I'm pretty certain it's more concentrated in some areas than others.

I'm not going to count up every crime as I'm lazy.

But like I say, in Fresno the further north you go, the safer you are generally. I'm in Sunnyside (technically the county) in the SE and 5 miles from the Bulldog gang territory and I'm OK over here.
Quote:
Okay. Well I don't know anything about Fresno except that there is lots of good produce there.
That's fine. I just point it out cause I'm here in Fresno.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times
I didn't generalize, it's my opinion based on my tenant situation in places I rent. It's also been pointed out in magazines like Forbes (which of course must be lying, except when they write feel good pieces about Oakland).

Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM

Yeah you did. I pointed out the cheap housing along with the goodness going on. You just settled on the "cheap" argument in your statement.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
That can't be the only reason people choose to live in Oakland as there are other even cheaper alternatives. I agree there is a portion of the population that live in Oakland because they were priced out of SF. In my area, Jack London, I would say its around half the population that live here because they can't afford SF. However they chose Oakland over just as cheep or cheaper areas Like Berkeley, or San Leandro, or Albany or various other east bay hoods. Not withstanding I wouldn't say for the majority of the populace Oakland is a second choice.
Not really. Oakland is cheap and close to the job center (DT SF). No Other alternative offers that.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Thread title - please stay on topic. We have strangers in our midst and it's easier to locate them when we all stay on topic.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM

119 posts, read 184,856 times
Quote:
Do note his generalization. I'm not disputing that some have left SF for Oakland due to housing prices.

In response to my post:

That's fine. I just point it out cause I'm here in Fresno.
He is entitled to his own opinion. Just like we are.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I think it's because Oakland is cheap. Much cheaper than S.F, and I've pointed this out on numerous occasions. People move to Oakland as a 2nd choice because they got priced out of places like S.F. Most of my Oakland tenants have previous addresses in S.F.
Man, you hit it right on the nose! So true yet people are afraid to admit it to themselves.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
He is entitled to his own opinion. Just like we are.
I am entitled to dispute his opinion on crime in Oakland.

(driving back towards the topic.)

Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM

295 posts, read 461,593 times
That is far from true. There are nearly 400k people living in the city and a good majority of them live there on their own accord with no relation to SF. Downtown Oakland is also a jobs center with many people working there. A good portion of Oakland residents I'm sure have no ties at all to the city of San Francisco for work or otherwise. There are plenty of other locations people who want to get into the city quickly can live. Anywhere along the BART line can get you into the city very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland