Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times

Advertisements

Oakland gets criminals who don't live there. Sunday night on Channel 7 during a story about Graffiti cleanup, they talked about how people come all the way to Oakland from elsewhere to tag. During that 880 Sideshow thing a few months ago, some of the people were from Vallejo. During the Occupy stuff, many causing trouble weren't from Oakland. Whether or not it's a significant # of criminal I don't know but it's clear Oakland does get people coming from the outside who commit crimes within its city limits. Anyone who tries to deny that is just flat out ignorant.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oakland gets criminals who don't live there. Sunday night on Channel 7 during a story about Graffiti cleanup, they talked about how people come all the way to Oakland from elsewhere to tag. During that 880 Sideshow thing a few months ago, some of the people were from Vallejo. During the Occupy stuff, many causing trouble weren't from Oakland. Whether or not it's a significant # of criminal I don't know but it's clear Oakland does get people coming from the outside who commit crimes within its city limits. Anyone who tries to deny that is just flat out ignorant.
On two occasions, I have caught people dumping trash and both times, they were white people that didn't live in Oakland... one was from San Leandro, a retired man cleaning out the back of his truck at a vacant home... he matter of fact said, how could anyone tell what he dumped from what was already there

The other time was an older woman dumping tree branches and yard trimmings in the creek off golf links... she was from Castro Valley.

In a nutshell... outsiders view behavior unacceptable anywhere else as OK as long as it is in Oakland.

Even back in my college days, I had friends tell me that would dump unwanted cars in Oakland... mostly along the embarcadero and or along railroad avenue... not so much a problem anymore with the price of scrap...

The same goes for dumping unwanted pets...

Why would someone even think it OK to use Oakland as a dumping ground???

Just read this...

There are anywhere from 3,500 to 4,000 parolees living in Alameda County, and about 1,700 to 1,800—or nearly half—of those parolees live in Oakland. Approximately 50-100 people are released from prison to Oakland every week.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,365 times
That's a lot of anecdotal information. Not saying it's not true, but this goes back to the thread where ssmaster was trying to argue that most of the crime in Oakland was being caused by parolees.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Doc:

Is you is gonna point out anecdotal information
because that's what you use as you arrive at your conflation
of your opinion into fact
based upon where your tenants was at
as they come to you to rent your homes
as around Oakland you say you roam
I'm not for believing your objection
say Doc do you need a blue pill for your...
Now you is funny
sometimes that's true
but Doc I am surely onto you.
Ultrarunner has noted before
that they in Oakland find criminals dumped at their door
I find that to be plausible
and quite possible
so to your objection I do say
tttthhhhppppptttttt
there now I feel better so you will find
that I will happily discuss Oakland Crime
until I feel Doc overload
then I will possibly write another poem.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Doc:

Is you is gonna point out anecdotal information
because that's what you use as you arrive at your conflation
of your opinion into fact
based upon where your tenants was at
as they come to you to rent your homes
as around Oakland you say you roam
I'm not for believing your objection
say Doc do you need a blue pill for your...
Now you is funny
sometimes that's true
but Doc I am surely onto you.
Ultrarunner has noted before
that they in Oakland find criminals dumped at their door
I find that to be plausible
and quite possible
so to your objection I do say
tttthhhhppppptttttt
there now I feel better so you will find
that I will happily discuss Oakland Crime
until I feel Doc overload
then I will possibly write another poem.
beautiful

Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Irvine is 1 in 10 persons and Oakland is 2 in 10.

So that means that 8 in ten Oaklanders are not poor. Meanwhile 800,000 people in the city of LA are poor. WOW.

Thank you for sinking your own battleship. Yet again.
And yet LA doesn't have nearly the crime culture that Oakland has. Like I said early, some places just have a culture of crime that statistics really can't explain. Poverty is pretty strongly correlated with crime, one of the strongest correlated as metrics go, yet LA has no where near the crime rate that Oakland does. There's more at play than simply poverty.

I don't think LA has quite the same income inequality as Oakland does, but that's just me throwing stuff out. The data is out there, I just don't have it. I'm not sure anyone even parses it? At a state level, I know it is, just not sure about for individual cities.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post

Excellent post. I've tried to argue this before, that the Oakland middle class is a thing of the past, but always get dog piled on by people claiming Oakland is some bastion for middle class "hipsters" and artist who have found a paradise in West Oakland.
Well... they are sort of middle-class, I think? Most probably have decent jobs 'n such. Will they stay or are they merely transients in the same way San Francisco has attracted the young and well-educated? Time will tell.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I don't think LA has quite the same income inequality as Oakland does, but that's just me throwing stuff out. The data is out there, I just don't have it. I'm not sure anyone even parses it? At a state level, I know it is, just not sure about for individual cities.
It's there. Go here:

American FactFinder - Search

and it type city under the bar below "state, county or place" and select "income in the past 12 months" . You can get Los Angeles and Oakland side by side, type both after another. Oakland has a bit more % on the higher incomes, but the difference isn't too big.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The only thing your map proves is that Oakland has socio-economic diversity to a very high degree. You seem to have this strange notion that people should be segregated.
Hmm, looking at that coloring book, seems Oakland is doing a fine job on the segregated score. I prefer numbers to coloring books myself. But then those tell the same thing. Oakland is more racially segregated than San Francisco. Race and income aren't the same thing, of course, but they are correlated. To me, I don't really give get all pissy about racial segregation as long as it's by choice and not redlining practices. In many cases, people just like to racially segregate themselves. Eg, Rockridge and Chabot. I don't think there's anything in and of itself wrong. Racial segregation can certainly be a symptom of racial tension, but that isn't necessarily the only explanation.

I find socioeconomic segregation more troubling. Suburbs are often criticized for being homogeneous in that respect as if it's somehow better to have a city so-called socioeconomic diversity. That map provides a very easy to understand visual representation of what I'm talking about. Yes, Oakland has income diversity in a way many suburbs do not. The problem within Oakland itself, there's relatively few neighborhoods that do have socioeconomic diversity. It isn't as bad as say El Dorado Hills (affluent enclave of Sacramento). There's more interaction and exposure to those of different classes, but it's not as if those living in the flats and the hills rub shoulders with great regularity You still get that bubble mentality of marginalization/privilege. And I don't know what the answer to that is, but clearly simply having income diversity segregated by neighborhood isn't it given the problems Oakland has.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's there. Go here:

American FactFinder - Search

and it type city under the bar below "state, county or place" and select "income in the past 12 months" . You can get Los Angeles and Oakland side by side, type both after another. Oakland has a bit more % on the higher incomes, but the difference isn't too big.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland