Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So LA took the guy NYC rejected?

Oh, okay.
Yup, they did. Unlike you, I actually know the history of Bratton, and don't make ignorant statements like you do. "Im hoping that Bratton will do in Oakland what he did in New York.." Yeah, get tossed out because of a corruption scandal. Your statement was ridiculously uninformed.

After he got forced out, he became a consultant. Los Angeles at the time was in the middle of a crime spike, and the Mayor James Hahn brought Bratton in as a consultant (much like Oakland has done now). He did so well in 2002, and got the dept in shape, Hahn brought him on full-time to lead the LAPD.

Bratton manage to lower crime in Los Angeles for 6 years STRAIGHT. 3 of those years, L.A had a violent crime rate lower than any California metro (S.F, San Diego, Oakland, etc), and a lower overall crime rate than ANY major metro in the U.S. He basically recreated his entire career and erased any stigma from his NYC days, which is why YOUR CITY which experienced a huge spike in crime last year, desperately brought in the former Los Angeles PD Chief to help Oakland out.

Now you're educated about his history. You're welcome.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I can't do that yet. He's been on the job for what... 3-4 months?

So far he's done okay by reducing crime by doing what he did in L.A. The gang raids in February were effective. But he's got literally 20% of the resources that L.A had (even with Federal Marshals and CHP helping), and he's working with a local government that seems to make EVERY WRONG decision.

I think Bratton is bringing a lot of his skill that made Los Angeles have the lowest violent crime rate for a major metro 3 years in a row, but with Oakland he's dealing with a different animal.
Let's explore your logic a bit there Doc. Cause it's kinda iffy.

Let's pretend Doc is hiring another Doc to work for him in his practice. Does Doc think he doesn't have a current opinion as to the work product little Doc is doing? Or can he never draw a conclusion that can be updated as needed based on current information? Can Doc not let little Doc go after an appropriate probationary period, cause you can't form an opinion?

And how do you diagnose anyone if you aren't quite sure you have the latest test in? There are such things as working diagnosis right?

Senno finds your logic about not being able to have a current opinion on Bratton bordering on nonsensical.

Good think you decided to post what you actually thought or this logic review would of gone harder.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Here's my opinion Senno buddy. I've stated it before, but here it is at a grade school level for your consumption.

I think Bratton is highly skilled. I DON'T think he will be as effective in Oakland as he was in L.A. He just doesn't have the same resources he had in L.A.

I do think he will have a positive effect, but it's too early to tell how positive. Let's give him a full year then revisit. I could see him taking the top job though if he does well this year. Oakland politicians are looking for some magic elixir to help curb crime. Maybe it is Bratton.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Yup, they did.
And even though crime is down, the grime is still there.

Quote:
"Im hoping that Bratton will do in Oakland what he did in New York.." Yeah, get tossed out because of a corruption scandal. Your statement was ridiculously uninformed.
I dont care if he wears a pink tutu and combat boots, has an affair with Jean Quan and puts their sex video on youtube.

If crime goes down as a result of his consulting, then he was worth it.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Here's my opinion Senno buddy. I've stated it before, but here it is at a grade school level for your consumption.

I think Bratton is highly skilled. I DON'T think he will be as effect in Oakland as he was in L.A. He just doesn't have the same resources he had in L.A.

I do think he will have a positive effect, but it's too early to tell how positive. Let's give him a full year then revisit.
You think he's highly skilled yet know he was forced to resign in NY and wrote a book about Giuliani's accomplishments. OK, that's a ringing endorsement of Bratton right in your posts, lol.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
You think he's highly skilled yet know he was forced to resign in NY and wrote a book about Giuliani's accomplishments. OK, that's a ringing endorsement of Bratton right in your posts, lol.
I base my opinion on what he did in L.A. It's well known he was mocked and forced out in NYC (well, most people knew). That's actually what makes Bratton so interesting to people. He failed in NYC, and redeemed himself in L.A. Not many people can do that after being publicly ousted.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM

OK. I'm happy to re-review after a year with you. I will set a diary date.

Americans is forgiving people Doc. You oughta know that. We love a good comeback.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
I base my opinion on what he did in L.A. It's well known he was mocked and forced out in NYC (well, most people knew). That's actually what makes Bratton so interesting to people. He failed in NYC, and redeemed himself in L.A. Not many people can do that after being publicly ousted.
Crime in New York went down during his tenure, whatever happened behind the scenes is secondary and if crime in NY hadnt declined, LA would NEVER have hired him.

End of story.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
And even though crime is down, the grime is still there.

I dont care if he wears a pink tutu and combat boots, has an affair with Jean Quan and puts their sex video on youtube.

If crime goes down as a result of his consulting, then he was worth it.
Yes, I'm glad Oakland is seeing early fruit from bringing in help from LOS ANGELES. Oakland could learn a thing or two about crime reduction from L.A.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Crime in New York went down during his tenure, whatever happened behind the scenes is secondary and if crime in NY hadnt declined, LA would NEVER have hired him.

End of story.
Giuliani got the credit for NYC's downturn in crime. Why do you think they kept him for 8 years and forced Bratton out after 2 years?

Actually, now that I remember it, Bratton didn't even last 2 years in NYC, it was more like 18 months as comissioner.

Also, L.A hired Bratton 6 years AFTER he left NYC, and brought him on as a consultant to see if he could have a good effect, it's not like they hired him outright. Once he proved his skill, he got hired on.

I know it pains you that Oakland is getting help from a consultant who made his name as a former LAPD Chief, but be thankful for the reduction in crime! Oakland could learn a lot from L.A in crime reduction.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 03-28-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland