Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times

Advertisements

And Oakland's population is growing, not shrinking. If it was so bad, I'd expect shrinking like in the Rust Belt that happened historically, not growth.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Berkeley isn't exactly much cheaper for non-students, and Berkeley has a huge housing shortage because of students. Plus it's primarily known as a college town.

San Leandro is a bit further from S.F, so it is less of a choice for quick commuting across the bridge.

But compare housing prices of Alameda to say Eastlake, or Fruitvale. You'll find a huge difference in price.
Because those areas are less nice than Alameda. A better comparison for Alameda would be Glenview, Dimond, and perhaps Crocker Highlands. And maybe Adam's Point or Grand Lake for the areas adjacent to Webster. More comparable in demographics and type of housing.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
And Oakland's population is growing, not shrinking. If it was so bad, I'd expect shrinking like in the Rust Belt that happened historically, not growth.
Actually, it is shrinking in the "flatlands" and growing in downtown, trendier areas and so on. So basically, if you look at the trends, more affluent people (aka middle class and up) are moving to Oakland, and poorer people are leaving. It is fair to surmise, the middle class+ people do have other options, yet they are choosing Oakland consciously.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,103 times
Quote:
I think it's because Oakland is cheap. Much cheaper than S.F, and I've pointed this out on numerous occasions. People move to Oakland as a 2nd choice because they got priced out of places like S.F. Most of my Oakland tenants have previous addresses in S.F.
Must be other reasons
Quote:
I do think Oakland has desirable neighborhoods, not sure where I said it didn't.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually, it is shrinking in the "flatlands" and growing in downtown, trendier areas and so on. So basically, if you look at the trends, more affluent people (aka middle class and up) are moving to Oakland, and poorer people are leaving. It is fair to surmise, the middle class+ people do have other options, yet they are choosing Oakland consciously.
Shoot, I surmised without worrying about being that fair about it.

Ain't no one gonna tell me the only reason people are moving there because it's cheap. This is a free country and people are free to live where they desire.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
If that were true, why isn't San Jose following this theory?
Criminals for Alameda County...

Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times
So Alameda County dumps all of its criminals into Oakland?

Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
So Alameda County dumps all of its criminals into Oakland?
I don't know about all... never heard that.

The officer in Pleasanton said Oakland is better equipped to handle those released... half way houses, missions, etc...

Maybe a current Law Enforcement Officer could interject?

Reentry Services : Oakland Unite

http://jaygaskill.com/OaklandParolee.htm

Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

The officer in Pleasanton said Oakland is better equipped to handle those released... half way houses, missions, etc...

The problem of Oakland’s parolees can be solved provided there is focus and coordinated leadership
"Build it and they will come!"

Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

The problem of Oakland’s parolees can be solved provided there is focus and coordinated leadership
I don't think Oakland gets criminals from all over who stay and cause crime. A lot of the crime is clearly from gangs who have ties to the city of Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland