Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 04:42 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Lots of Tech Jobs moving into SF. Many of the companies down in the valley have offices in SF now.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Larkspur/4...9/home/1192338
So a basic home with basic amenities? What a ripoff! Did you even look at the house I posted?

How about we go up to 2MM... a mansion
58 Washington Avenue, Garden City, NY For Sale | Trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:48 PM

540 posts, read 653,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
So a basic home with basic amenities? What a ripoff! Did you even look at the house I posted?

How about we go up to 2MM... a mansion
58 Washington Avenue, Garden City, NY For Sale | Trulia.com
I wouldn't call that home "Basic". The homes you posted look nice on the outside but inside are dated and need renovation.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Bisaro TMF aren't you from the NYC area?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, I was simply putting likealady's comment into perspective. Thusfar your posts to me simply look like sour grapes and demonstrate extreme hypersensitivity, like an open wound.
No, Likealady had her opinion and you went off into defensive mode and tried to label her as a Troll. Now if only your opinion counts why should the rest of us even bother. We all have our likes and dislikes. It doesn't make our posts anymore troll-like than yours. We could all get along if we would listen to others thoughts and not immediately try to prove them wrong, bad or unworthy.

Oh, and your hammering the other posters look far more hypersensitive than what they said.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have friends and family in Houston. One of them lived in San Francisco. One of them lived in Alameda. Crime in Houston isn't that bad because it is spread out, unlike San Francisco or Oakland. If you live in a nice area, it's really safe. If you live in a bad area, it's dangerous. However, most parts you don't have to worry about crime flowing one street over into an area perceived as nice like you see constantly in Oakland and San Francisco. And I would take the heat over the cold fog any day.

The houses you showed are ugly, small, old homes and you'd still be living in a town middle of nowhere with nothing special about it. It's ridiculous that living in a crappy town like Brentwood, you still have to make housing sacrifices.

(I don't plan on living in Houston, but I would rather live there than here, especially if my option was Brentwood, there are 100 cities I'd rather live than Brentwood, which are cheaper and nicer)
Living in a "Safe" area of Houston is like living in Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill. That's how big and spread out that city is. All the safer area's are miles outside of the city So comparing it to small compact cities like Oakland or SF makes no sense. Houston is 600 Square miles compared to Oakland which is only like 80.

Don't you live in SF? You're calling those houses small which are all probably bigger than your house. Also how large of a house do you want? What's the obsession with 4000+ Square foot homes when you only have 1-4 people living with you? That is a complete waste of space. That Houston Heat is not just regular heat. You say that but unless you've spent actual time in it, you don't understand.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Bisaro TMF aren't you from the NYC area?
I used to Live there yes.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
SF is left out because it didn't even make it on the list. But if you want other lists, I can furnish them. But what would be the point- you don't want to believe that SF isn't that expensive in the global scheme of things. Some people believe what they want to believe.
I don't think it was even analyzed for that list, the author just assumed it was left off because it was low it seems. I am actually genuinely curious, I actually had a tough time finding lists with it on it but I don't think because its COL is low but rather it just wasn't analyzed.

I did come across this:
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index

Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 PM

Up until 5-10 years ago Bay Area still had relativevly affordable and desirable suburbs (i.e.. Walnut Creek) but now that a dump in Sunnyvale is 600k++ that ship has sailed. NY's economy has not grown nearly as fast and it is also much larger and more built out, but generally is not nearly as dynamic in terms of it's real estate market. NY has a lot of artificial controls (high downpayment requirements, high closing costs, high taxes, rent control, historic overlays, complex EIR process, NIMBYs) that slow the ability of the market to move. That's largely true outside of Manhattan of course, which makes it's own gravity, although most of the action there is new construction lux condo towers, and a LOT of luxury rentals going in over the last few years.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-27-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:12 PM

I don't even think you can get a dump in Sunnyvale for anything less than $750K, at least not a SFH.

East Bay prices are really high imo but Silicon Valley/Peninsula just take it to a whole new level.

$750+ a sq foot for a home zoned with a Middle School and High School rated 5 out of 10.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...5/home/1580965
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...ngs-ML81520125

Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
East Bay prices are really high imo but Silicon Valley/Peninsula just take it to a whole new level.

$750+ a sq foot for a home zoned with a Middle School and High School rated 5 out of 10.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...5/home/1580965
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1...ngs-ML81520125
That's horrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland