Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The point of gay "pride" came about because the majority of gays were (and still are to a lesser degree) made to feel ashamed of who they are (both in very blatant and subtle ways). Pride was a reaction to the intense shaming many gays experience. Is it an overreaction? Yes, I think so. I'm gay and I'm not into gay pride parades either. I don't think being gay is anything to be proud of OR ashamed of....but I do understand that humans have a way of going from one extreme to the other. When a group is shamed....they go the opposite extreme with pride. Neither extreme is healthy....but please try to understand the context in which gay pride parades came about.

Heterosexuality was never shamed in the first place, so there's no need for "straight pride". Since heterosexual people are the vast majority, almost no one is making them feel ashamed for who they are. Hence, no straight pride parades. It's a different story when you're the odd man out.

I'd say the hetero equivalent of straight pride is Mardi Gras....not exactly the same, but close enough.
I am not opposed to having gay pride parades. I am just opposed to how many in the parade dress or for the most part don't dress. I am opposed to the use of sexual objects, toys, or what have you that seem to be represented in the parades. I think it is cool that people are into what ever they want to be into. My thought is that the point would get across better if the parade was less sex driven. I don't care what a person's orientation is. Many things need to be kept in private though. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM

758 posts, read 551,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Heterosexuality was never shamed in the first place, so there's no need for "straight pride". Since heterosexual people are the vast majority, almost no one is making them feel ashamed for who they are. Hence, no straight pride parades. It's a different story when you're the odd man out.
Hmm. Guess you never heard of the Catholic church. Or Islam. Or Puritanism. Or . . .

Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM

34 posts, read 32,949 times
Thing is most people think their city is the best city in the world. Im sure people in small towns, mid size cities, cities with "bad" weather, etc still think they live in the best city in the world

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh please. Stuff your hot springs. The Napa Valley has hot springs, mud baths, day spas, not to mention vineyards and world class cuisine.

And dont blather on about green vs brown because we live in a mediterranean climate that Tokyo would KILL for.

But like I said, to each his own, its just that you dont seem to very aware.
You keep repeating that, but you seem to refuse to let her have her subjective opinion. You are either a master troll, or you are the type of person in real life who just holds on to one word in a long diatribe and keeps focusing on "but you SAID xxxx", completely missing the broader point.

So, she wants to live in Tokyo. Who cares?

You are even adamantly trying to convince her that food in SF is better than Tokyo. How could you possibly have an argument about that. SHE LIKES Tokyo food better. YOU LIKE SF food better. That's like arguing if Korean food is better than Chinese food and getting really fired up with "strong, valid arguments" (aka subjective opinions).

Relax

You remind me of
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/33kg4q/you-pc-bro

Last edited by HappyinCali; 10-28-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:43 AM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
So now this has turned into a Bash the Bay Area thread. You go to other forums and the cities you all praise have people trashing them too. There is no perfect place.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
One thing I'm a bit more interested is the metropolitan area as a whole because while SF city isn't out of this world crazy expensive, I really think it's the extremely expensive suburban areas that set the Bay Area apart nationally and likely internationally. I'm guessing it's even harder to find a report/list like that though.
Quote:
The orangest colors on the map, signifying the place where your $100 buys you the least, are in these five cities. One of them may surprise you.

1. Honolulu ($81.37)
2. New York-Newark-Jersey City ($81.83)
3. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara ($81.97)
4. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk ($82.31)
5. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward ($82.44)

Yes, Honolulu is the most expensive place to live! Honolulu is, in fact, quite densely populated; there isn’t much territory to work with between the mountains and the Pacific. It also relies heavily on expensive imports. People pay a heavy premium in order to enjoy its lovely weather.
The Real Value of $100 in Metropolitan Areas | Tax Foundation

Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
You keep repeating that, but you seem to refuse to let her have her subjective opinion.
Sweetheart we are all entitled to our opinions and others are free to call us out on them.

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

You seem to think your in a mutual affirmation support group...
https://youtu.be/-DIETlxquzY

Quote:
You are either a master troll, or you are the type of person in real life who just holds on to one word in a long diatribe and keeps focusing on "but you SAID xxxx", completely missing the broader point.
Or, Im just participating in a thread by asking questions.

Quote:
So, she wants to live in Tokyo. Who cares?
I certainly dont but you and others are resorting to cyberbullying me because you cant refute the actual points I made, which is pointless because I wont be bullied into silence or shamed into silence.

Dont like it? Put me on ignore, idgaf

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
Sweetheart we are all entitled to our opinions and others are free to call us out on them.

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

You seem to think your in a mutual affirmation support group...
https://youtu.be/-DIETlxquzY

Or, Im just participating in a thread by asking questions.

I certainly dont but you and others are resorting to cyberbullying me because you cant refute the actual points I made, which is pointless because I wont be bullied into silence or shamed into silence.

Dont like it? Put me on ignore, idgaf
Meh, not worth putting an ignore. You sometimes have good informative posts, when you are not cyber bullying girls who want to live in Tokyo.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I live in Ventura County. Although not as Orange as the Bay Area, we are the next level down. Ventura County is just west of Los Angeles County, sandwiched between LA and Santa Barbara County. Many people retire to other cheaper areas. My parents and many of their friends did just that. The original owner of our home, they had been in the home for 38 years, they sold the home and moved to Florida to a much lower cost area. Interestingly my parents were also in their home for 38 years and they left the area for the Phoenix area, moving to the city of Surprise Arizona back in 2003. My parents paid $13,000 for their home back in 1965. The original owners of our home paid $16,000 back in 1962. The home I live in is much larger than my parents old house. It had features that were still coming into their own back then, such as a laundry room with a washer and a dryer. My parents old home originally had the washer in the kitchen and the dryer was a closeline out in the back yard.

I bring that up for a bit of nostalgia. LOL.

If you offered me $500,000 for my 53 year old home that has the exact same footprint as the day it was built and still needs a lot of upgrades, you would be a little over what they are going for now. My Realtor says we could get between $460,000 and $480,000 for our home. We would never sell, well unless you offered us $500,000. LOL

Our goal is to pay off the place and make sure we are in a position to never leave. I kind of like living near the ocean.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Should the need arise, I will.

Likealady said he/she preferred Tokyo because one could be in beautiful countryside faster than driving from SF to SJ...which is a stupid point since the Marin Headlands is just across the Golden Gate Bridge.

That sort of "opinion" is nonsensical and needs to be set straight.

Are you done yet?
Preferring the food and scenery or whatever of somewhere else isn't "nonsensical" at all as it's highly subjective. It just seems more like hypersensitivity about the Bay Area on your part than anything else really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland