Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 05:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,994,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think it was even analyzed for that list, the author just assumed it was left off because it was low it seems. I am actually genuinely curious, I actually had a tough time finding lists with it on it but I don't think because its COL is low but rather it just wasn't analyzed.

I did come across this:
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index
I am glad you are at least genuinely curious, as I am.

I am skeptical about that list you provided because of the methodology they used to gather data. They rely on visitor entered data and so its rankings are only as good as the number of people who actually visit the site and enter data for each city. "What makes us unique is that we collect the prices that we use to calculate our cost of living index from visitors like you. Naturally, the more data entered, the more accurate the index and the calculations will be."

I trust the rankings from Mercer more because they are a professional global consulting firm and have been ranking COL for a long time. Here is the list they have for 2015:

https://www.imercer.com/uploads/GM/c...654/index.html

Tokyo is 11th most expensive for COL. SF is 37th most expensive.

Interestingly, Tokyo dropped 4 places from 2014. While SF jumped up 37 places. If it keeps going at that rate, it will surpass Tokyo.

NYC is the most expensive American city on the list at #16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Living in a "Safe" area of Houston is like living in Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill. That's how big and spread out that city is. All the safer area's are miles outside of the city So comparing it to small compact cities like Oakland or SF makes no sense. Houston is 600 Square miles compared to Oakland which is only like 80.

Don't you live in SF? You're calling those houses small which are all probably bigger than your house. Also how large of a house do you want? What's the obsession with 4000+ Square foot homes when you only have 1-4 people living with you? That is a complete waste of space. That Houston Heat is not just regular heat. You say that but unless you've spent actual time in it, you don't understand.
Not true, there are safe areas within Houston as well and if you go to the surrounding cities, your money goes VERY far, unlike here where you still get crap even way out in Brentwood.

I live in SF and I think SF is way over-valued, but I can understand people making housing sacrifices to live in an urban city like SF. However, it's become so expensive that there are many other urban cities that are more worth it. What makes the Bay Area pretty unique is you can drive an hour out and still have to make housing sacrifices while still paying a crap load of money.

It's not just about house size, it's about quality and location. You proved it here, $450,000 buys you an old ugly home way out in no man's land, while $450k,000 and even much less can buy you a nice place in/near the city center.

I've lived in multiple cities in Florida, as well Australia and a few other cities. I know what hot/humid summers feel like. I spent this summer in Asia, which makes humidity in the South seem like child's play. I absolutely hate the cold, I hate the fog, I find it depressing and literally painful when it's cold outside. When I lived in Florida and Australia, I actually looked forward to summer because it meant pool and beach weather and other water activities. Plus, virtually every single home has air conditioning unlike here where the weather is cool almost year-round and then when we finally get our 30 days of summer, I'm dying inside my home at night because virtually no homes have air conditioning.

With that being said, there are plenty of other cities besides Houston, where your money goes a long way and in my opinion offer a better standard of living than here, ESPECIALLY Brentwood. Geez, $450k to buy an old ugly home and still live out in the middle of nowhere is crazy in my eyes, but when the average home in SF is $1.2 million what choice do people here have?!

Last edited by bmw335xi; 10-27-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
don't care much for the Bay area...sorry, far far far from the best place in the world. Southern California is INFINITELY better than the Bay area which is my opinion.

It's funny when people post ridiculous stuff like this. You would have to pay me money to leave SoCal and move to the Bay area.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
don't care much for the Bay area...sorry, far far far from the best place in the world. Southern California is INFINITELY better than the Bay area which is my opinion.

It's funny when people post ridiculous stuff like this. You would have to pay me money to leave SoCal and move to the Bay area.
I would also choose SoCal, especially parts of Orange County and San Diego.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I am glad you are at least genuinely curious, as I am.

I am skeptical about that list you provided because of the methodology they used to gather data. They rely on visitor entered data and so its rankings are only as good as the number of people who actually visit the site and enter data for each city. "What makes us unique is that we collect the prices that we use to calculate our cost of living index from visitors like you. Naturally, the more data entered, the more accurate the index and the calculations will be."

I trust the rankings from Mercer more because they are a professional global consulting firm and have been ranking COL for a long time. Here is the list they have for 2015:

https://www.imercer.com/uploads/GM/c...654/index.html

Tokyo is 11th most expensive for COL. SF is 37th most expensive.

Interestingly, Tokyo dropped 4 places from 2014. While SF jumped up 37 places. If it keeps going at that rate, it will surpass Tokyo.

NYC is the most expensive American city on the list at #16.
Yeah but then you see these cities in 3rd world countries of Africa listed above SF. And this list varies so much more than the other one you linked to. Just so many different methodologies when it comes to lists of international cities like this.

One thing I'm a bit more interested is the metropolitan area as a whole because while SF city isn't out of this world crazy expensive, I really think it's the extremely expensive suburban areas that set the Bay Area apart nationally and likely internationally. I'm guessing it's even harder to find a report/list like that though.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
probably because you would need the money in order to afford relocation to the Bay Area.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,303,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Here's what 1.5MM gets you in one of the best suburbs within a reasonable commute of Manhattan, again, compare to Marin prices.
131 Hampton Road, Garden City, NY For Sale | Trulia.com
That's a really nice house in a great neighborhood with a fantastic half acre lot and its less than 20 miles from mid-town Manhattan. Compare to Cupertino in the same price range. Bay area suburbs are insanely overpriced compared to NYC suburbs.

Example 1 Cupertino, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Example 2 Cupertino, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 10-27-2015, 05:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Basically you're paying La Jolla prices to live in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc... I get the proximity to jobs and all but still; small lots, small/avg size homes, very average/bland looking community, etc.. It's kind of comical in a way.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
probably because you would need the money in order to afford relocation to the Bay Area.
In which case it would be a LOT of money, perhaps equivalent to winning a lottery because that is the kind of money you need to move there these days...

Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Now if only your opinion counts why should the rest of us even bother.
No, just you neednt bother because your post added nothing but perpetuated yet another unnecessary tangent started by Sav858 of course.

Here's a thought. Refute a point I made instead of acting 'likealady' going off the deep end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland