Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 PM

31 posts, read 129,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think it great to see people moving to areas they can actually afford, instead of constantly trying to stretch out their incomes to afford the "best places".

I live in Redwood City, which is probably the "local minimum" as far as affluence near Silicon Valley. It is what we can afford (and save$) and my family is going to make this is a better place to live. I wish you all moving to Vallejo the same luck we have had and honestly you are making me want to check the place out with those prices...
Ah, Redwood City... I grew up on the Peninsula. I have many memories of Redwood City from back in the day.... It's certainly changing. The little main street they've "refurbished" is nice, and the Thai restaurant there (can't remember it's name) is yummy. My sis still lives on the Peninsula, so I'm over that way fairly often. We're really lucky living here I think. If one can avoid rush hour traffic, it's easy to get to so many enjoyable places.

Congratulations for getting your home there! Many blessings and success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM

37 posts, read 219,315 times
I currently live in Vallejo and am a local realtor. As with any city there are good and bad areas. Vallejo has filed for bankruptcy and it is not yet known how it will really impact the city. The schools are decent but not the best in the county. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,017 times
Smile There are nice places to live in Vallejo!

Ok, there are lots of great areas to live in Vallejo, I dont know why people think all of Vallejo is a getto. Thats like saying all of Oakland is a getto and all of San Francisco is a getto. Not true, we have newer homes in Vallejo east of the freeway, and also on Mare Island, as well as at Hiddenbrook country club. There are two historic districst w/victorians and arts and craft houses. Say out of North Vallejo, that is where one of our largest concentrations of poor people live, who have to rely on section 8. There are spotty pockets that I would not live West of the Magazine St exit off the freeway, and a small pocket known as "Millerville." This is no different than Oakland or San Francisco or even parts of Berkeley. Vallejo has a bad rap that people like to perpetuate, but it has less crime than both Oakland and San Francsico per capita. I never hear any one say they are staying away from San Francsico because it's crime riddern, but there are some very scary parts of San Francisco. Oakland and San Francisco have had a lot of murders in the last couple of years 100+ Vallejo murders actually dropped 30 percent last year, and have been dropping just about every year. A lot of good people live in Vallejo and do a lot of volunteer work, we have a large artist community as well... Come see, you never know what you might discover

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,017 times
Default Yes there are good areas of Vallejo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random707 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying in Vallejo. My max price range is in the low 200's. This is what I can responsible afford with a good downpayment and a mortage that isn't taking up too much income.

I've been looking in Vallejo and it seems that Vallejo offers a number of beautiful, architecturally interesting homes in this price range.

So, I am wondering what your opinions of the city are. I'd be looking to purchase in one of the nice neighborhoods. The homes I've looked at are in the 180-225 range.

So, share any and all opinions. In this an ok area to live? I am a single guy in my 30s.

Thanks
I cant belive that so many people are down on Vallejo! There are great people and places to live in Vallejo. One of the biggest problems that Vallejo has to get control over, is the fact that when Mare Island closed in the early 90's no major employeer replace the military. When Mare Island closed, houses went pretty cheap, and out of town investors bought up Victorian homes in the historic district and filled them with section 8 housing as well as "group homes." The investors figured they would have guaranteed rent, and then later flip the houses of lots of money, fact of the matter is they "pooped in their own bed" so to speak. We want lots of new home owner to buy our beautiful historic houses and plant gardens and bring back our historic districts. There are many good areas of Vallejo, just like in Oakland and San Francsico

Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,272 times
Default Vallejo - good idea for enterprising spirits

OK... So I think Vallejo offers a lot for the money for a lot of reasons. I live in Vallejo and have for about 6 years. First lets talk about the prices- you can get a nice house in the price range you speak of. If you are into older homes like Victorians , or arts and crafts it gets even better. If you are into fixers even better. See Vallejo Homes and Vallejo Houses for sale to look around.

Also, you should consider a startegy many don't think about- Vallejo has a lot of properies that are nice older homes with a second building in the back (for a rental) or even two extra rentals. I live in a 2000 sq foot victorian in the old down town. it is beautiful. It is a double wide lot with two cottages in the back and a second house next to mine. I pay no mortage at all (the rent covers it) and actually prefer this set up to having my yard totally to myself. We are like a big family, but because my buliding is separate i don't feel at all like i am in a rental.

I think you will see big appreciation in the next upturn also. Of course, I don't have a crystal ball. A little hgistory is in order. When the naval shipyard shut down in the 90's the entire economic structure of Vallejo collapsed. Then, people started moving in and fixing etc... This downturn has seen the prices drop, but the city looks much nicer than it did in 2000 for instance . In other words its has not reverted back to the previous condition. The next upturn will finish the transition in my opinion.

Also, Vallejo has great weather (the best) and easy acces to SF- I took the ferry to work for 5 years.

All this being said- I would suggest that you make sure your realtor knows the lay of the land talks straight with you about neighborhoods etc... There are plenty of great areas in town- just make sure your in one.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,622 times
We are also looking into moving to Vallejo for the good home prices. We took our first trip there last weekend and saw some of north vallejo which seemed mixed, and we saw a really cute neighborhood we liked just west of 80 on Arkansas, Illinois, and Inidiana streets. We also liked the nieghborhood near there that looked safe on Fairmont and Edgemont streets and surrounds. Are those good safe neighborhoods to live in?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Vallejo is such a dump. Basically anything West I80 is no safer than Fallujah, Iraq. You know all the black gang members who got muscled out of the Iron Triangle in Richmond, and the Oakland hood rats? They all moved to Vallejo when housing got too expensive closer to the Bay.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 AM

31 posts, read 129,115 times
Personally, I think "Mr. Fantastic" should be banned from posting about Vallejo. He doesn't even live here if his location stats are correct, and you can always find him trashing Vallejo somewhere. Sheesh, there are great people living here. Lots of creatives, young couples w/kids, older couples without kids, folks who want a real home and cannot afford Marin, Oakland, Berkeley or San Francisco. As with any urban town, pay attention to your neighborhoods. Get a good realtor and ask about the areas. There's lots of nice neighborhoods here.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Where are the nice neighborhoods in Vallejo? Somerset? Alden Heights? Those are all East of I80. The East Side of the City is okay, but still has a lot of overspill in terms of crime and gang violence because of all the trash living on the West side. A high school kid just recently got put into a coma at Jesse Bethel High School by samoan gang members. Not exactly the hallmarks of a "safe" city.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Where are the nice neighborhoods in Vallejo? Somerset? Alden Heights? Those are all East of I80. The East Side of the City is okay, but still has a lot of overspill in terms of crime and gang violence because of all the trash living on the West side. A high school kid just recently got put into a coma at Jesse Bethel High School by samoan gang members. Not exactly the hallmarks of a "safe" city.

people have gotten murdered and shot at in Beverly Hills. What's your point? A rich white kid in Hillsborough almost pulled a Columbine a couple months ago at Hillsborough High, a rich white school. It's obvious you're scared to death of poor minorities if you honestly believe that living or even being in a poor black/latino neighborhood is a death sentence. It's also obvious you're extremely sheltered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland