Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,237 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying in Vallejo. My max price range is in the low 200's. This is what I can responsible afford with a good downpayment and a mortage that isn't taking up too much income.

I've been looking in Vallejo and it seems that Vallejo offers a number of beautiful, architecturally interesting homes in this price range.

So, I am wondering what your opinions of the city are. I'd be looking to purchase in one of the nice neighborhoods. The homes I've looked at are in the 180-225 range.

So, share any and all opinions. In this an ok area to live? I am a single guy in my 30s.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM

7,375 posts, read 3,834,249 times
The city filed for bankruptcy last year. Vallejo has a checkered past, worse since Mare Island was closed. As a young, single guy, I can think of several places I would rather live. Walnut Creek, maybe Oakland Hills, but these are expensive areas. Do you plan to work in the North Bay? Have you looked at Benicia? Or across the straight at Martinez?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,489 times
I only know of Vallejo from the perspective as a married person with a toddler. Vallejo is not somewhere I'd choose to live with children, but if that's not an issue for you, then you might get some good deals there. I know there are some beautiful old Victorians as well as some very attractive old bungalows, if that's your thing.

Your options are always much more open when you are a single male without kids, lol.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM

31 posts, read 129,162 times
I am buying in Vallejo because it's all I can afford too. I'm an artist and plan to enjoy a having home of my own, that isn't far from San Francisco and Berkely/Oakland, my favorite towns here. Currently, Vallejo doesn't have much to offer as far as amenities, but once I got over the idea of crossing the bridge to get the Bay Area Amenities, it's fine. And, in my case, that means groceries too. I don't shop Raley's or Safeways. I prefer to support independents, and find the quality is better too. So I'll plan my shopping trips and combine them with other errands. Not so bad. Owning one's own home is a great thing.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 32,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeixeGato View Post
I only know of Vallejo from the perspective as a married person with a toddler. Vallejo is not somewhere I'd choose to live with children, but if that's not an issue for you, then you might get some good deals there. I know there are some beautiful old Victorians as well as some very attractive old bungalows, if that's your thing.

Your options are always much more open when you are a single male without kids, lol.
ok has anything changed since this post. there are tons of homes up for sale in vallejo right now and its ridiculous 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom houses for under 60,000 something crazy must be going on there.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ415 View Post
ok has anything changed since this post. there are tons of homes up for sale in vallejo right now and its ridiculous 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom houses for under 60,000 something crazy must be going on there.
I guess it depends on the condition and location of those houses. They might be completely trashed and/or in neighborhoods that are really scary. Who is selling those houses? Were they occupied by recently deceased elderly people who had lived there for several decades? Are they young professionals who have decided they made the wrong choice? Are they empty nesters who are downsizing?

The answers to these questions could tell you a lot.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 AM

31 posts, read 129,162 times
Default hello, people wanting to buy in vallejo, read this!

Go to the town and check it out. I recently bought. It's fine. I'm in a good neighborhood. You have to go there and do the legwork. Figure out what neighborhoods you feel ok with. Your realtor can help you with this. You can get a home in a decent neighborhood for under $200. It might need some work, but it's doable.

Vallejo has no amenities to speak of, if you're used to the "bay area" life. It has plenty of big box stores, so that's convenient, but no cool restaurants, coffee shops, etc. There's some decent restaurants, but not like we have here in Oakland/Berkeley. Maybe one day it will grow up, but it's not now.

If you're the kind of person that needs to be entertained, it may not be for you. If you like the idea of homeownership, having a garden, a place of your very own, a home base, it's great. I don't mind driving a 1/2 hour to see friends, or get my Berkeley/Oakland fix. I have my own place, plenty of room to garden, and it's way better than renting.

Investigate. It's a short drive. Explore. Get a realtor, they can tell you a lot. Test the water yourself. It's not in another state, it's a short drive. Go, see , do, find out if it's right for you.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firtree View Post
Go to the town and check it out. I recently bought. It's fine. I'm in a good neighborhood. You have to go there and do the legwork. Figure out what neighborhoods you feel ok with. Your realtor can help you with this. You can get a home in a decent neighborhood for under $200. It might need some work, but it's doable.

Vallejo has no amenities to speak of, if you're used to the "bay area" life. It has plenty of big box stores, so that's convenient, but no cool restaurants, coffee shops, etc. There's some decent restaurants, but not like we have here in Oakland/Berkeley. Maybe one day it will grow up, but it's not now.

If you're the kind of person that needs to be entertained, it may not be for you. If you like the idea of homeownership, having a garden, a place of your very own, a home base, it's great. I don't mind driving a 1/2 hour to see friends, or get my Berkeley/Oakland fix. I have my own place, plenty of room to garden, and it's way better than renting.

Investigate. It's a short drive. Explore. Get a realtor, they can tell you a lot. Test the water yourself. It's not in another state, it's a short drive. Go, see , do, find out if it's right for you.
This sums it up really well.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
An uncle had a bakery downtown Vallejo but moved to a larger building in the western part of town. I don't recall any problems going to the movies downtown w/ cousins. But that was before Mare Island was closed.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
I think it great to see people moving to areas they can actually afford, instead of constantly trying to stretch out their incomes to afford the "best places".

I live in Redwood City, which is probably the "local minimum" as far as affluence near Silicon Valley. It is what we can afford (and save$) and my family is going to make this is a better place to live. I wish you all moving to Vallejo the same luck we have had and honestly you are making me want to check the place out with those prices...

Last edited by Mach50; 03-21-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland