Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
You got one of those Korg Tritons ? I play a Gibson Dove and SG. Got a small Roland RS 70 . Thing is hands down the acoustic with a fresh set of strings and my flutes are by far superior in depth. Best concert I have been to last was Dylan at the UCB Gym as I was in an acoustic sweet spot..
Not sure how this has anything to do with this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM

425 posts, read 366,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not sure how this has anything to do with this discussion.
Good point

Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Berkeley does have some pretty seriously nutty people in it - some of whom are rather scary in their fanaticism. It makes San Francisco look conservative by comparison.

But it's by no means a bad place to live. A few extremists shouldn't tar the reputation of the entire city.
Thanks for bring this back down to earth majoun. You're right about this. Berkeley for the most part is like most other cities and if one were to visit there, they would be surprised.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for bring this back down to earth majoun. You're right about this. Berkeley for the most part is like most other cities and if one were to visit there, they would be surprised.
And Tom Bates would be on that list of lunatics who sucks up to the nuts on the extreme left and was caught red handed stealing Daily Cal papers from the main Sproul distribution box because it contained and endorsement for mayor which was not him. Just so we can get down to earth here the political infrastructure is a joke. He is an abomination.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
And Tom Bates would be on that list of lunatics who sucks up to the nuts on the extreme left and was caught red handed stealing Daily Cal papers from the main Sproul distribution box because it contained and endorsement for mayor which was not him. Just so we can get down to earth here the political infrastructure is a joke. He is an abomination.
Political corruption is the order of the day is most large cities. Try living in San Diego for a while then you will realize Berkeley politicians are amateurs.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Political corruption is the order of the day is most large cities. Try living in San Diego for a while then you will realize Berkeley politicians are amateurs.
Yeah , I dunno man , Berkeley seems to garner more national and international attention and ain't that 90% of politics and business ? In one sense you are correct Berkeley city politics are amateur , and ripe for a real coupes. Thing is as I said what with the publicity such a thing would be a big deal media wise . You want to get down to earth ? Try watching a whole community morph and pop a level or two as far as collective integrity goes and watch the rest of the world tremble at the ramifications. The News hour already has their camera set ups here ready to transmit daily. Call it a flashback , call it what you may , it is coming.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah , I dunno man , Berkeley seems to garner more national and international attention and ain't that 90% of politics and business ? In one sense you are correct Berkeley city politics are amateur , and ripe for a real coupes. Thing is as I said what with the publicity such a thing would be a big deal media wise . You want to get down to earth ? Try watching a whole community morph and pop a level or two as far as collective integrity goes and watch the rest of the world tremble at the ramifications. The News hour already has their camera set ups here ready to transmit daily. Call it a flashback , call it what you may , it is coming.
Well having lived in both cities I can speak from experience. Berkeley gets attention because of it's political leanings only. Oakland too for that matter. Without the level of developement like SD has with politicians making illegal deals and embezzling on that kind of level. Trust me, on this this one.

I don't see these sort of things coming out of Berkeley:

Quote:
A series of financial scandals has rocked the city in recent years. A 2002 scheme to underfund pensions for city employees, the San Diego pension scandal, led to the resignation of newly elected Mayor Dick Murphy[92] and to the filing of criminal charges against six pension board members.[93] Those charges were finally dismissed by a federal judge in 2010.[94] In an unrelated scandal, two city council members, Ralph Inzunza and deputy mayor Michael Zucchet—who was to take Murphy's place—were convicted of extortion, wire fraud, and conspiracy to commit wire fraud for taking campaign contributions from a strip club owner and his associates, allegedly in exchange for trying to repeal the city's "no touch" laws at strip clubs. Both subsequently resigned
San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this doesn't even mention the issues politicians have had with developers. Berkeley really isn't much worse than other cities in this regard.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Well having lived in both cities I can speak from experience. Berkeley gets attention because of it's political leanings only. Oakland too for that matter. Without the level of developement like SD has with politicians making illegal deals and embezzling on that kind of level. Trust me, on this this one.

I don't see these sort of things coming out of Berkeley:

Come to think of it I know of this guy who worked and lived with a judge in San Diego. He was working on his bar and the stories he told me about this lady and her conduct were pretty wild. This same fellow claimed had been in Israel and witnessed an Israeli rocket take out a Palestinian food market.It drove him mad and eventually all he pursued was a fix . Before all this happened after he met Jimmy Paige years prior . Is there a connection ? JK I don't doubt your assessment of San Diego. I spent a couple weeks during summer as a kid doing athletic competition stuff for a few years in the area . It still amazes me how small this world is when it comes to times , places and people.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Rabbi, I am still trying to understand you. But don't quite get what you mean: What kind of "coupes" [cars] are you referring to? Or do you mean: coup d'etat? I assume the latter and wonder what kind of take over of the Berkeley city politics are you suggesting? Why would "the rest of the world tremble at the ramifications" of Berkeley morphing? Morphing into what? Are you talking about the PBS "News Hour" setting up cameras and waiting for some kind of revolution in Berkeley? What "is coming"?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Come to think of it I know of this guy who worked and lived with a judge in San Diego. He was working on his bar and the stories he told me about this lady and her conduct were pretty wild. This same fellow claimed had been in Israel and witnessed an Israeli rocket take out a Palestinian food market.It drove him mad and eventually all he pursued was a fix . Before all this happened after he met Jimmy Paige years prior . Is there a connection ? JK I don't doubt your assessment of San Diego. I spent a couple weeks during summer as a kid doing athletic competition stuff for a few years in the area . It still amazes me how small this world is when it comes to times , places and people.
A couple years ago TIME magazine said that San Diego was the most corrupt city in the Western US and compared its level of corruption with Detroit's (and that was when Kwame Kilpatrick was still mayor of the D).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland