Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 01:28 PM

536 posts, read 639,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
In the early 2000s before the crash, Charlotte was the #2 banking city in the nation. Hard to believe it, but it's true. BOA was headquartered there for a while.
Bank of America is still headquartered there, as well as Duke Energy and Wells Fargo's East Coast operations. It pales in comparison to Silicon Valley of course but it's not too shabby for a mid-sized metro that doesn't have any historical significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givayt View Post
I would bet big that in 20 or even 10 years, San Jose looks a lot more socially vibrant with much more entertainment. Big players are placing bets now. Apple, for example, will be building big in the city. There is a lot of mixed use dense development planned in the downtown areas, like North SJ, Diridon area, etc. There will be more development in the Santana Row area as welll - the row might feel like a "real" city neighborhood in time.
Glad to hear! SJ definitely has a lot of potential but it's just not reaching it yet.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It’s not exactly new. If 238 years hasn’t been enough, I doubt the next 10 or 20 years will change much. More development like Santana Row, will just make it feel even more like one big gentrified suburb, which it is. Density ≠ vibrancy.

San Jose, California
Founded November 29, 1777
Incorporated March 27, 1850
Because it developed as a suburb of San Francisco. San Jose may be older than SF, but by 1920 SF had 506,676 people and San Jose had 39,642.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
And I'm sure Charlotte's tall buildings make it look like a bigger city than DC as well. And bigger than San Diego. Definitely bigger than Paris for sure

Except that it's NOT. Nice try though
It has a bigger city feel than SJ. It sounds like you've never visited Charlotte. Uptown's employment numbers of over 100,000 are higher than DTSJ and it is busier at night and during the weekends. I was in DTSJ in August so maybe SJSU students make it more livelier during the other seasons? But Uptown Charlotte doesn't depend on college students to make it vibrant. To be clear, I think Charlotte could still be a lot better than it is compared to small cities in Europe, but it's a notch above SJ. SJ's biggest advantage over Charlotte of course is its proximity to other interesting communities and nature.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,862,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
It has a bigger city feel than SJ. It sounds like you've never visited Charlotte. Uptown's employment numbers of over 100,000 are higher than DTSJ and it is busier at night and during the weekends. I was in DTSJ in August so maybe SJSU students make it more livelier during the other seasons? But Uptown Charlotte doesn't depend on college students to make it vibrant. To be clear, I think Charlotte could still be a lot better than it is compared to small cities in Europe, but it's a notch above SJ. SJ's biggest advantage over Charlotte of course is its proximity to other interesting communities and nature.
San Jose's main job zone is NOT Downtown. It is located in North San Jose where San Jose's tech companies are. To make a comparison regarding job numbers is asinine if you do not understand where San Jose's job zone is.

Charlotte has a bigger city "feel" in its central core. But the overall density is half that of San Jose's. Outside of Charlotte's Uptown, the rest of Charlotte is sprawly exurban.

And I'm sure there are more to SJ's advantages over Charlotte than just interesting communities and nature. Those things alone cannot explain the 5x housing price difference

Good game Shunketsu. Your town of Charlotte will always be home to the 2016 Super Bowl champion

Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Have you actually been to all of these 3? I have, as well as Santana Row. Santana Row is no match for the SouthPark area of Charlotte because it has 4 mixed-use developments within walking distance from one another on top of the SouthPark Mall. Birkdale Village is also larger than Santana Row, and Ayrsley alone is about the same size.
No, I'm only going from one of my coworkers from Charlotte who loves SR to death and says there's nothing like it in Charlotte. So I'm going to assume that any of those did not measure up to our combination of Santana Row/Valley Fair.

From the Wiki I'm looking at, Birkdale Village is 450,000 sqft of retails with 300 residentials in low-rise townhomes, surrounded by 2000 single family homes spread over 800 acres. You're still building single family homes on large lots huh? LOL, is this the 80's?

Santana Row is 600,000 sq ft of retails with >800 residences in mid-rise buildings and with 500,000 sq ft of office space, all pulled into 4 blocks of road. Santana Row is the recipient of CELSOC Engineering Excellence Award in 2004 and Builder Magazine's Project of the Year in 2003.

Santana Row pulls in 12M visitors a year. What does Birkdale pulls? LOL

By the way, Southpark Mall is 1.5M sqft of retail space with sales volume of $700/sqft. Santana Row is located across the street from Valley Fair, 1.5M sq ft of retail space with sales volume of $1,150/sqft--the highest in the state of California. Valley Fair is currently undergoing expansion to reach 2.1M sqft of retail, with almost all new expansions being luxury retail and high-end dining.

Like I said, it's not the size, it's what you pack inside that matters. And Santana Row/Valley Fair absolutely MURDERS Birkdales/Southland/Ay****ley whatever ass pretty damn good. In fact it's a joke to compare.

Quote:
I took a day trip to SJ from SF because I was really interested in seeing it, so I'm not biased against SJ. I was just disappointed in what I saw. I did like SJSU's campus though. Charlotte has pretty much everything San Jose has (it has a few things SJ doesn't have and SJ has a few things CLT doesn't have), yet it is much, much cheaper.
You spent a few hours in a city of 180 square miles. What could you possibly see? LOL. Your judgement based off of a few hours in San Jose is just as good as me making judgments on Charlotte from my coworker's inputs. Meaning, zero validity.

And back to Birddale village, I mean, seriously? 2,000 SFH on 800 acres? Good Lord Charlotte! That's exurban as hell! And this is "big-city" thinking? Here in San Jose we're building at Cottle Road 3,000 units spread over 100 acres, which is 12x more dense than your Birkdale village, and yet we consider the Cottle project to be quite suburban..

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 12-31-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 04:27 PM

Oh, and and I can't find anything on Aysley whatever. Saw some images, look like typical 3-story townhomes with 6-lane wide roads. Found something on Yelp though, 2 reviews, all 2 stars. Ayrsley - Shopping Centers - Steele Creek - Charlotte, NC - Reviews - Yelp.

Sounds like a POS. You're seriously trying to compare this crap to the Row? You gotta be trolling...

Old 12-31-2015, 05:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Because it developed as a suburb of San Francisco. San Jose may be older than SF, but by 1920 SF had 506,676 people and San Jose had 39,642.
This is the key difference. SF is a big city, developed in the pre-auto era. It will always be the dominant Bay Area city. I don't care if SJ has 2 million people, it won't have urban neighorhoods like SF.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Have you actually been to all of these 3? I have, as well as Santana Row. Santana Row is no match for the SouthPark area of Charlotte because it has 4 mixed-use developments within walking distance from one another on top of the SouthPark Mall. Birkdale Village is also larger than Santana Row, and Ayrsley alone is about the same size.
Santana Row is a suburban mall. It's Exhibit A while SJ isn't urban.
Quote:
Charlotte has pretty much everything San Jose has (it has a few things SJ doesn't have and SJ has a few things CLT doesn't have), yet it is much, much cheaper.
SJ has tons more high paying jobs, much more beautiful scenery, much nicer weather, and is close to one of the best cities in the U.S. Charlotte basically thrives on being cheap and attracting Northeasterners tired of high home prices and high taxes. It's like a Phoenix or Salt Lake of the east, the way they attract Californians sick of 900k bungalows and crazy traffic on the I-5.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Santana Row is a suburban mall. It's Exhibit A while SJ isn't urban.
No it is not. It is a mixed-use development with close to 1M sqft of office space, 600,000 sqft of retail, and 1,000 residential units atop 7-stories. That's pretty much the standard for an urban node. You don't need 50-stories, just 5-6 stories would do. Like Paris or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose