Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Uptown Charlotte is definitely more vibrant/interesting than DT San Jose.
True, but Santana Row beats Uptown Charlotte over the head with an ugly stick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:56 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
As someone who lives in NC and visited San Jose in August, I honestly find Charlotte to be more interesting (especially in the center city area). Of course Charlotte is not close to the gold standard for unique or exciting cities, but it's a notch above SJ. If you factor in SJ's proximity to other interesting communities and nature then living in SJ could overall be more exciting but CLT is also a lot cheaper.
Cool story bro Always gotta prop up the city you're from. I do the same with San Jose

Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM

353 posts, read 437,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Ehhh, I tend to like Jane M's Orlando comparison more.
Thank you. I got slammed big time for that.

I actually like Jacksonville and Tampa is good too. Anything beats the hell out of ****ty Orlando. Maybe cause I grew up there.

It's hard, really to compare cities. You like what you like. SJ is not so bad, but for a BIG city (pop wise) it doesn't have that "city feel". It feels much more suburban. Which, again, is not necessarily bad. you can find your happiness anywhere.

I use to think Gainesville Florida was cool. (And, actually, I still do. Have a soft spot in my heart for that place).

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,928,573 times
Quote:
Actually, Downtown SJ beats Uptown Charlotte since most of the places to eat are none existence after 10PM. It's mainly on Thyron st. and South Ward. Downtown SJ is way more artsy and entertaining with a lot more restaurants than Charlotte's Uptown. 300 vs 180.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,928,573 times
Quote:
San Pedro Sq. Market KO the 7th St. Market! Plus there's SoFA Market in Downtown SJ! Whole Foods thrives in Downtown SJ with a cool draft beer place upstair outside diagonally from the grocery store, and Uptown Charlotte has no Whole Foods yet, along with Trader Joes'.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,781 times
San Jose is not boring...There are many things to do in the city and around the bay area...Some people are just bored wherever they live or they expect every city in California to be like Chicago or NYC.

California Cities sprawled outwards mostly,but things are changing nowadays in creating a more urbanized core,but honestly I don't want our cities resembling Chicago or NYC,I want California cities to remain unique.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM

536 posts, read 639,758 times
Quote:
Cool story bro Always gotta prop up the city you're from. I do the same with San Jose
I'm from Winston-Salem, not Charlotte, so no.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Pedro Sq. Market KO the 7th St. Market! Plus there's SoFA Market in Downtown SJ! Whole Foods thrives in Downtown SJ with a cool draft beer place upstair outside diagonally from the grocery store, and Uptown Charlotte has no Whole Foods yet, along with Trader Joes'.
That's why I referred to Center City Charlotte, not Uptown Charlotte, which includes South End and Midtown/Elizabeth. Uptown is getting a Whole Foods and already has a Harris Teeter, while South End has Publix.

DTSJ may have more restaurants but overall Uptown Charlotte is cleaner, fancier, and nicer all around. The streets are some of the cleanest downtown streets I've been to in America. Uptown Charlotte's parks and plazas are also better.

I'm not a Charlotte booster though, so I will admit I wish Charlotte had more soul and character--it feels very corporate and suburban all around. But so does San Jose.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Charlotte has the SouthPark area developments (such as Piedmont Town Center), Birkdale Village, and Ayrsley which all rival Santana Row. When I visited SJ in August I went to Santana Row because I heard it was one of the nicer and more vibrant areas and I was shocked to discover it was only three blocks long. It's really not much for a city the size of San Jose. A good foundation though.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
Quote:
Uptown who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose