Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM

126 posts, read 156,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Thanks, kids. Cardiff, wish I could provide a success story, but mine just got worse.

My buyer's loan, which we've been waiting on since the original closing date on Monday, fell through. He was pre-approved so we don't know what was going on. He's trying with another mortgage broker who is allegedly flexible and fast … but I have to have the funds by May 14 so I don't lose the Florida house.

My realtor says he's never had something like this happen in 41 years in the biz.

What a mess.

Cardiff, you must keep us posted because now I'm also terribly worried about that poor pregnant wife.
Pre-Approved or Pre-Qualified? If they were pre-approved it means they had a commitment from a bank contingent on finding a property, passed underwriting, and the housing payment being an estimate. Unless they are trying to borrower more than they were approved, or the housing payment increased (larger taxes than expected), something else happened. I would see if you can find out why, seems like a convenient way to back out of purchase "I couldn't get financing". Most banks using conventional loans have nearly identical guidelines, fed loans like FHA are the same, the only subtle differences in approvals is how much they want to stretch the guidelines.

Pre-Qualified means some guy wrote on a piece of paper they could afford it, had a banks letterhead on it, really means nothing in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Yes, that must be it -- pre-qualified.

Theoretically my realtor is trying to find out what happened, but of course I haven't heard from him since this morning, so I will spend my third weekend hanging in limbo, waiting for something that never happens.

His mortgage broker told us for WEEKS that it was just matter of some paperwork here, resolve a glitch there. All of it lies, apparently.

No one will return my calls, no one gives a $hit, I'm just here to provide entertainment for these idiots who get to play with people's lives for fun.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
someone should have told the buyer not to purchase the big screen tv and home entertainment center until after closing.

Are you selling a condo? One thing that some banks freak over is the percentage of owner occupants. Has to be 51% owners. This is true for VA loans.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
someone should have told the buyer not to purchase the big screen tv and home entertainment center until after closing.

Are you selling a condo? One thing that some banks freak over is the percentage of owner occupants. Has to be 51% owners. This is true for VA loans.
Well, according to the buyer's realtor late this afternoon, it's because he works for Starbucks and they're transferring him at his request to our area -- but the underwriter wanted a letter from Starbucks saying so, and they have a policy where they don't do that to avoid lawsuits.

At this point I don't trust or believe anyone or anything they say. They've all been lying to us all along.

And no, not selling a condo -- single family home.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Surely the guy who works for Starbucks has a letter or email from his company about his transfer--whether they would issue a new one for the mortgage underwriter or not--
he can't be doing this w/o some type of written confirmation from his company...

Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Surely the guy who works for Starbucks has a letter or email from his company about his transfer--whether they would issue a new one for the mortgage underwriter or not--
he can't be doing this w/o some type of written confirmation from his company...
Damn, that is an excellent point.

You know, I've had it up to here with the lies, deflections and delays. I'm going to do the unthinkable-- I'm gonna call the seller and find out exactly what's going on, because I don't trust his realtor or mortgage broker as far as I can throw them.

It may not be the "done" thing, but I'm past caring. We're the only people who care about us. Our realtors are waiting for a check, but we're the ones sitting around in empty houses with our entire lives on hold.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM

You go.

Waiting with bated breath to hear what you learn.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Damn, that is an excellent point.

You know, I've had it up to here with the lies, deflections and delays. I'm going to do the unthinkable-- I'm gonna call the seller and find out exactly what's going on, because I don't trust his realtor or mortgage broker as far as I can throw them.

It may not be the "done" thing, but I'm past caring. We're the only people who care about us. Our realtors are waiting for a check, but we're the ones sitting around in empty houses with our entire lives on hold.
Good for you. I'd call too.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:39 AM

Well, what an interesting morning.

Right after I posted here, I got a phone call from the new mortgage broker. The idiot broker who messed up everything handed it off to someone outside his company THANK YOU LORD. I had told my realtor I wanted direct contact going forward because I was tired of the "Any day now" third-hand reports, followed by days of silence, followed by the big let-down on Friday afternoon.

And she called! She seems sharp as a tack, hinted that this isn't the first time she's put out a fire for this mortgage company, and said she would "do what we have to" to close on May 14 -- just in time to wire the funds to Mr. Psycho Seller by the extended deadline of May 15. Her company doesn't care about a letter from Starbucks, plus she's already run the basics by HER underwriters and they said it's doable. No going out of house to somebody somewhere far, far away.

She promised to update me regularly, since I explained that never knowing the details until everything goes to hell on Friday at 5 pm was unacceptable to my cardiovascular health.

I am breathing again!

So then hubby and I sat there trying to figure out the new logistics of closing here on May 14 and FL on May 15 … then gathering one college student from her dorm on Long Island on Friday, May 16 and hitting Boston for oldest's graduation on May 17.

We already have plane tickets because we thought we'd have been in FL for two weeks by that time. But even if we drive down before the closing and move into Motel 6 with our cats, we couldn't leave them alone in a hotel while we head back up north. And it would be tricky to get the keys on Thursday morning in time to make flights out of Fort Myers at noon.(Hubby to NY and Daughter #1, me to Boston for a company meeting followed by hubby and D#1 meeting up in Boston for D#2 graduation…. yes, it was complicated as hell to begin with.)

SO we decided it would be easiest if somehow we could stay here right through that weekend and THEN move. I called the landline phone# I found for the buyers on the Internet, having met them once and thinking they are really nice people. No answer and no way to leave a message, so I went to Facebook, found her, and paid $1 to send a message to her inbox even though we're not friends.

Just as my realtor is walking in the door to discuss all the new developments, my phone rings and it's Elsa, one of the buyers. She's terribly sorry for what this has put us through, terribly grateful for our patience, and more than willing to let us stay in "their" house for five days or so!

They have a 10-year-old daughter, and they weren't planning on moving in until after school gets out anyway!

Now I just have to try to get the airline to refund some of the cost of those tickets, and cross fingers that Stacey the Competent Mortgage Broker can do what she says she can.

I can breathe again.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Mail away closings? I find the in person closings in Florida both quaint and antiquated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area