Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 07:12 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,349,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You must be joking. Looks? Ugh. She has NO chance against DeSantis. Period.
Well Andrew Gillum was an idiot and look how he nearly won. Fried is obviously smarter than him.

Don't underestimate the pro marijuana crowd. If she campaigns on that it will bring everyone out of the woodwork to vote for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
https://www.politico.com/states/flor...effort-1391534

Don't worry, we've got it under control.

What we dont have under control is the local politicians taking payola from developers to allow very tall building along our coastlines....probably never will. Some day, the only way to see the sea in our area, will be from a boat!

I'm boat shopping right now, but what will the rest of you do?
Florida has a RINO problem. The state house and senate have a large majority of RINOs. A number of our Republicans would be more like moderate democrats in many states.

Oh and I agree about that. What do you think about the Sun Seeker resort going up in Port Charlotte? Was supposed to be time shares but the county made them make it hotel rooms instead.

Some of us don't think it will take off. The problem is they were marketing this as something on the Gulf LOL when the Gulf is 20 miles away. What you get is a view of the dark blue, brackish looking water of Charlotte Harbor. People will be disappointed when they book a vacation there not knowing the Gulf isn't nearby and it's not on a beach.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:17 AM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Florida has a RINO problem. The state house and senate have a large majority of RINOs. A number of our Republicans would be more like moderate democrats in many states.

Oh and I agree about that. What do you think about the Sun Seeker resort going up in Port Charlotte? Was supposed to be time shares but the county made them make it hotel rooms instead.

Some of us don't think it will take off. The problem is they were marketing this as something on the Gulf LOL when the Gulf is 20 miles away. What you get is a view of the dark blue, brackish looking water of Charlotte Harbor. People will be disappointed when they book a vacation there not knowing the Gulf isn't nearby and it's not on a beach.
The Villages near Ocala is nowhere near a harbor or beach, and its still growing like bonkers...residents love it there. Florida is growing so fast right now, anything, and everything, will sell/rent....no matter how ill-conceived.

I was out and about yesterday, & I've never seen so many people in Downtown Venice....snowbirds and newcomers....mostly 70+'ers. They were holding a shuffle-walk convention on West Venice Ave., that was posing as an Art Festival. Venice needs to install some moving sidewalks downtown.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:03 AM

6 posts, read 6,885 times
Quote:
I know its hard to discuss zoning issues w/o getting in to politics, but can we try?

Statewide politics has little to do with Siesta Key zoning...I think.

Hope you're kidding ! Zoning is steeped in total politics, just ask Pat Neal or Carlos lol

With respect, you're very wrong if you think statewide politics had nothing to do with Siesta Key.

Wow

Old 11-07-2021, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 6,885 times
BTW, any assertion that the place can look like Manhattan without people from NY is silly.

Look at the invasion now in Palmer Ranch, Downtown SRQ Condos, Lakewood Ranch, Univeristy Park - the number of these idiots is staggering!

Drive much? Shop much? Go out to eat? (hint : they're the most rude and loud)

Old 11-07-2021, 12:05 PM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlattPheatt View Post
Hope you're kidding ! Zoning is steeped in total politics, just ask Pat Neal or Carlos lol

With respect, you're very wrong if you think statewide politics had nothing to do with Siesta Key.

Wow
With respect, you are off...look up the recent Lido Key beach replenishment project...where the sand came from...just off Siesta Key, and who had to approve it...Florida State Army Corps of Engineers. That was a very political situation that took years for the politicians and theri lawyers to resolve.

Look at State Road 758 that runs through Siesta Key, & its hisory...very political:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_758

State laws prohibit disturbing Sea Turtle nests all along Siesta key's beaches.

The state regulates building codes on Siesta Key, and that is very poltical.

The state regulates the utility companies there...politics comes into play there too.

The State is knee deep into a lot of things that are political on Siesta Key.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The Villages near Ocala is nowhere near a harbor or beach, and its still growing like bonkers...residents love it there. Florida is growing so fast right now, anything, and everything, will sell/rent....no matter how ill-conceived.

I was out and about yesterday, & I've never seen so many people in Downtown Venice....snowbirds and newcomers....mostly 70+'ers. They were holding a shuffle-walk convention on West Venice Ave., that was posing as an Art Festival. Venice needs to install some moving sidewalks downtown.
LOL, a shuffle walk?

This is my main beef about Southwest Florida. When I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2001, yea SWFL still catered to the older crowd. However, there still seemed to be a decent handful of younger people under 50. Census data also backs up that SWFL keeps getting older for median age. Since moving back to SWFL in 2015 it seems to have got a lot older since then!

Old 11-07-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlattPheatt View Post
BTW, any assertion that the place can look like Manhattan without people from NY is silly.

Look at the invasion now in Palmer Ranch, Downtown SRQ Condos, Lakewood Ranch, Univeristy Park - the number of these idiots is staggering!

Drive much? Shop much? Go out to eat? (hint : they're the most rude and loud)
That's how New York and New Jersey are in general. Rude. They think because they're from NY or NJ they're the best because it's home to the NYC area.

Well if so why is that place ran like a sh*thole?

I dunno, but people say the west coast is more midwest and upper south retired people. I gotta disagree. I see many more Northeastern people here in SWFL than I do from NY, NJ, PA, MA versus places like MO, KY, IN, IL, IA, OH, WV, KS, etc.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:36 PM

67 posts, read 54,607 times
New Yaawk, NJ, Mass etc....They used to stick close to I-95 because that's what AAA told them to do back when they handed out those nice little maps, coupons and pamphlets. The middle country people stayed closer to 75 for the same reasons. Now it's not so important. Also, They are fleeing their own mess, and fleeing the new england mentality, which is very overwhelming on the other coast of Floduh so they are flooding over to this side. Also, much less in the way of destructive weather. They are slow learners, but catching on. Sarasota will be Miami in a few years. They will recreate what they are trying to outrun. It's inevitable.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:19 AM

26 posts, read 22,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMC81 View Post
New Yaawk, NJ, Mass etc....They used to stick close to I-95 because that's what AAA told them to do back when they handed out those nice little maps, coupons and pamphlets. The middle country people stayed closer to 75 for the same reasons. Now it's not so important. Also, They are fleeing their own mess, and fleeing the new england mentality, which is very overwhelming on the other coast of Floduh so they are flooding over to this side. Also, much less in the way of destructive weather. They are slow learners, but catching on. Sarasota will be Miami in a few years. They will recreate what they are trying to outrun. It's inevitable.

yep, it's already there in downtown srq, and already there in tons of key developments in Lakewood Ranch. Pretty obnoxious to shop at WF, in DT, WF on Univ and the new Publix in LWR near Lorraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area