Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Definitely!

Except if you are a technofobiac jokes aside, it's really crazy, I already thought that I was in a lucky generation back in the 80-90s with computers and all but what will come will be mind blowing.
Back in the 80's and 90's I did not think about this much and in a way I am glad i did not. Its hard enough waiting 10-20 years it would be impossible if I know what I did today in 1984 and had to wait that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it is the norm in the US but here McDonalds (I don't go there very often though but they have this since maybe 2 years) usually have this kind of computers where you can can order and pay, then you queue anyway (with your ticket).

I was at a restaurant this week end (not a Mc Donalds "restaurant") and when the waitress came to take the order, she had this little handheld computer to type in what we wanted. All I could think was, why am I not doing this with my smartphone, bypassing all that? Especially when you try to hail one for an extra coffee and they are really busy...
It could even be like Ãœber, an application that takes care of the billing and all.
Its not the norm yet but will be soon and then actual robots will take the place of workers. I have read the cost of each robot could be about 10,000 dollars. Not much in the grand scheme of things if that figure is correct.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
One of the things I talk about is how automation will change the service sector and this decade. When I saw this news story I had to post it as things are changing fast now.

This is from CNET:

Would you like some microchips with that burger? McDonald's Europe strikes another blow against human interaction by installing 7,000 touch-screen computers to take your order and money.

The link: McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers - CNET
Yeah, although this really isn't that high-tech. Placing orders using machines has been around for over 60 years, so this shouldn't be a huge shock...

Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What you fail to understand seems to be that a lot of parts make up computer performance.

Halve speed, double efficiency and you have the same performance. Performance is on an exponential run since over a hundred years.

Will it stop? Will it continue? Only the future will tell but I'm betting it will (barring super volcanoes or something). CPU Speed is only a sub measure, ditched by Intel because today's trends is in energy efficiency. Think smartphones here, wearables, laptops, IoT computer nodes, the list goes on where you want energy efficiency instead of Ghz but you know what? Computer performance haven't trembled in its crazy growth by it so I'd say that it is your claim (cpu speen is stagnating so cpu power isn't augmenting exponentially) that is invalid.
Actually, CPU speed isn't the only thing that's levelled off. If you look at the Herb Sutter article, you'll see that computation per unit energy, according to some measurements, has become flat as well.

Perhaps Intel is using measures for which that is not the case (i.e. it is still on an exponential curve). But then the question is: Why should anyone think that measure is more relevant to a potential singularity than any of those that have become flat?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yeah, although this really isn't that high-tech. Placing orders using machines has been around for over 60 years, so this shouldn't be a huge shock...
Not like it is today. This is all new and advancing fast.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Not like it is today. This is all new and advancing fast.
What's new about placing orders with a machine?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I will let other people debate the CPU speeds. The main thing I care about is tech getting smaller and faster as it has since i was a kid in the 1970's and the computers took up entire rooms. This decade is now known as the wearable tech decade and the 2020's will be known as the nanotech decade. I plan on merging with the nanotechnology by 2025, only about 11 years away.
And it's not going to happen unless you're very wealthy. Dream on!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, CPU speed isn't the only thing that's levelled off. If you look at the Herb Sutter article, you'll see that computation per unit energy, according to some measurements, has become flat as well.

Perhaps Intel is using measures for which that is not the case (i.e. it is still on an exponential curve). But then the question is: Why should anyone think that measure is more relevant to a potential singularity than any of those that have become flat?
You really sound like people in the past who said computers have or had stopped advancing exponentially and why. Like you they were convinced they were right and look at us. Today we have google glass so with al their reasons in the end they were wrong. Just like in the 2020's we will have nanotechnology changing our lives dramatically.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
And it's not going to happen unless you're very wealthy. Dream on!
To be honest I am in the so called 1% so I do plan on being among the first to do it. Just not when it's in beta testing.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You really sound like people in the past who said computers have or had stopped advancing exponentially and why. Like you they were convinced they were right and look at us. Today we have google glass so with al their reasons in the end they were wrong. Just like in the 2020's we will have nanotechnology changing our lives dramatically.
Their arguments were very different from mine so I argue that your argument suffers a hasty generalization fallacy.

In the 1980's and 1990's, CPU speed was one of the main things championed by Kurzweil, among others, as representing the pinnacle of technological advancement. It certainly wasn't being used as an argument against futurism, at least, not in the sense of data (Note here the distinction being made between data and forecasts which is important as you seem to have difficulty with this).

So your analogy between the anti-futurist arguments of the 1980s and the argument I am making is an apples to oranges comparison and thus invalid.

Next argument please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology