Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 03:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Don't be silly. Everybody knows they track all of us so they know where we are when it's time for the jack-booted thugs in the black helicopters to round all of us sheeple up and lock us in the FEMA camps.
I think that is what some folks here are worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 03:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
If your phone is on they can track you. Doesn't anyone watch the ID channel? They can even locate places you were days later.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Exclamation *

Yes its the govts dream having everyone use these!!

This is why they took out most pay phones TO FORCE THE USAGE OF THIS GARBAGE!!

Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Or we just take the proper precautions.
Give us some examples of some proper precautions to ensure the government isnt listening to our cell phone conversations or isnt tracking our computer activity or watching us trough satellite.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:10 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Give us some examples of some proper precautions to ensure the government isnt listening to our cell phone conversations or isnt tracking our computer activity or watching us trough satellite.
You can't ensure it. As I said before, all you can do is reduce the possiblity. You can mostly eliminate the exposure you give, but you won't be bullet proof. So it's all about just drastically reducing what could be seen.

I use a VPN. That's one simple way. You can also use Tor. And apps do exist for secure communications, although they do require that the other person be using it as well...so that doesn't really work for me since nobody else in my social circle really cares much about this topic. But apps like Signal do exist. There's a bunch of similar apps as well, mostly things that do the same thing as the regular app...but with added privacy. Apple is pretty good, iMessage is surprisingly safe (as all messages are encrypted), although a few days ago a report did say they do log contact info for up to 30 days. Encrypting your hard drive is also another option. As far as protecting yourself from getting your accounts hacked (which I think more people are concerned about than being spied on) you can use a password manager to create strong passwords and use two-factor authentication.

I don't do all of these things, as some of them are worth it and some of them aren't. But I do some of them. It's really a personal decision on which ones you want to do, if any at all. I will say that I have nothing to hide, I don't have an information sensitive job or anything like that, but the subject of privacy is something that greatly concerns me and I think the "I have nothing to hide" argument is a pretty lame one.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:50 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes its the govts dream having everyone use these!!

This is why they took out most pay phones TO FORCE THE USAGE OF THIS GARBAGE!!
I'm happy to help, my cell is so much more convenient then a pay phone ever was.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:52 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
In the last three days I went to work, the post office and the grocery store I could care less if the government is tracking me.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Watched a 60 Minutes episode recently that showed just how easy it is to hack some ones phone.=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnSt2TOyeg

Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Encryption? The Poles broke the German Emiga code in 1932. US intelligence broke the Japanese code in WWII. Do you think NSA is not capable of breaking any code in existence??\

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You can't ensure it. As I said before, all you can do is reduce the possiblity. You can mostly eliminate the exposure you give, but you won't be bullet proof. So it's all about just drastically reducing what could be seen.

I use a VPN. That's one simple way. You can also use Tor. And apps do exist for secure communications, although they do require that the other person be using it as well...so that doesn't really work for me since nobody else in my social circle really cares much about this topic. But apps like Signal do exist. There's a bunch of similar apps as well, mostly things that do the same thing as the regular app...but with added privacy. Apple is pretty good, iMessage is surprisingly safe (as all messages are encrypted), although a few days ago a report did say they do log contact info for up to 30 days. Encrypting your hard drive is also another option. As far as protecting yourself from getting your accounts hacked (which I think more people are concerned about than being spied on) you can use a password manager to create strong passwords and use two-factor authentication.

I don't do all of these things, as some of them are worth it and some of them aren't. But I do some of them. It's really a personal decision on which ones you want to do, if any at all. I will say that I have nothing to hide, I don't have an information sensitive job or anything like that, but the subject of privacy is something that greatly concerns me and I think the "I have nothing to hide" argument is a pretty lame one.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Encryption? The Poles broke the German Emiga code in 1932. US intelligence broke the Japanese code in WWII. Do you think NSA is not capable of breaking any code in existence??\
Read what I said. Of course the NSA can still hack it, but you can reduce the possibility of it occurring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology