Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:59 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I just don't understand how this is not concerning to people.

I'm not a "person of interest" (anymore). but I don't think people understand that there is a trend towards the criminalization of very average (boring) citizens.

Between your cell phone data, credit/debit transactions & ALR's tracking your driving routine we have zero privacy.

Does it not bother anybody that it's very easy for military/law enforcement to know where you were on Saturday at 2300, Monday at 0900 & where you will be today at 1400?

Is it because you think you are not "doing anything wrong" so therefore it's ok? Because it won't take much for things to change & a very average (boring) citizen to be on somebody's radar.
No it doesn't bother me at all if the government knows my routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
No it doesn't bother me at all if the government knows my routine.
Not yet, it doesn't.

Maybe because right now you are able to play by the rules. You don't see yourself as ever NOT being a person who plays by the rules because maybe your a good law-abiding citizen.

Thats great but while YOU have no intention on changing who you are the laws are in a constant & fluid state of changing. More laws, more ways to break a law, more of our rights being taken away.

There are things we do every day that in other countries are considered criminal.

Right now we (barely) have due process, there is such thing as "probable cause". If we were to enter a state of Martial Law even YOU could be considered a criminal.

Right now everything you do is being sorted & organized into a database. Databases that are nortoriously being hacked into & accessed. If the government can know your routine; ANYBODY can know your routine.

And there is always the potential that we may, within our lifetime, have a government that you will not want to know your routine.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Not yet, it doesn't.

Maybe because right now you are able to play by the rules. You don't see yourself as ever NOT being a person who plays by the rules because maybe your a good law-abiding citizen.

Thats great but while YOU have no intention on changing who you are the laws are in a constant & fluid state of changing. More laws, more ways to break a law, more of our rights being taken away.

There are things we do every day that in other countries are considered criminal.

Right now we (barely) have due process, there is such thing as "probable cause". If we were to enter a state of Martial Law even YOU could be considered a criminal.

Right now everything you do is being sorted & organized into a database. Databases that are nortoriously being hacked into & accessed. If the government can know your routine; ANYBODY can know your routine.

And there is always the potential that we may, within our lifetime, have a government that you will not want to know your routine.
You're right if I ever decide to become a criminal mastermind I will definitely be sorry I didn't take your warning more serious. I really don't think that's going to happen though.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
If you are that paranoid about government tracking you then lose the phone,the computer,the car, your credit and debit cards,not sure what you can do about satellite surveillance or hyper listening devices.Face it if you want to fully function in todays technological society you will have to live with the possibility of being tracked by government if they so desire.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are that paranoid about government tracking you then lose the phone,the computer,the car, your credit and debit cards,not sure what you can do about satellite surveillance or hyper listening devices.Face it if you want to fully function in todays technological society you will have to live with the possibility of being tracked by government if they so desire.
All we can do is reduce the possibility. Nobody will ever be 100 percent bullet proof, but there are steps you can take to make sure your communications are more secure.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Maybe you're fine. But what happens when your aging mom or dad gets a restriction on their driver's license preventing them from driving in the evening hours?

Tell Mommy she can't drive at night with her cellphone or the guv'mint will know she's breaking the law and may lose her license.

But then, do you really want Mum to drive at night without a cell phone?

Old 09-28-2016, 03:59 PM

I really doubt that with all the problems this country has the Government will waste time on a elderly woman driving in the dark. This post has taken a turn towards the ridiculous.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:13 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I really doubt that with all the problems this country has the Government will waste time on a elderly woman driving in the dark. This post has taken a turn towards the ridiculous.
Never underestimate a government's capacity for pedantic and punitive actions against the easiest target, which are law-abiding people. See my previous message for my solution against being tracked, but still having a phone with you to use.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,574,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"Hello, Uncle Sam? Can you help me find my phone?"
Hahahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The guy who's being paid to monitor my phone has fallen asleep from boredom.
Was he the retired Donut man (Time to make the donuts...) from Dunkin Donuts?

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,542 times
People not caring about things like this, or making it out to be a joke is the reason it's a problem in the first place. These are the same people who claim to be 'proud to be american', yet they have no clue that they are completely backwards from what true american ideals are supposed to be. the founding fathers are rolling in their graves. i doubt we will ever be the land of the free or the home of the brave ever again. a shame for all the blood that was shed for our freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology