Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Exactly, why would the government care about what I'm doing?
I dont know. Maybe one of these folks who believe it is so can fill us in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Yeah, the "I have nothing to hide" argument is so weak and full of BS. Saying you don't care about your privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

If someone claims to have nothing to hide...then please DM me all of your passwords to your e-mail and social media accounts so I can sift through them and publish whatever I want at will.

Clearly there are some people in this thread who are saying things they don't actually believe.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I dont know. Maybe one of these folks who believe it is so can fill us in.
It's not that the government cares, but the fact that it is happening. The why doesn't matter.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:28 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah, the "I have nothing to hide" argument is so weak and full of BS. Saying you don't care about your privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

If someone claims to have nothing to hide...then please DM me all of your passwords to your e-mail and social media accounts so I can sift through them and publish whatever I want at will.

Clearly there are some people in this thread who are saying things they don't actually believe.
I do mean I have nothing to hide, my FB page is public and if you were sitting at my kitchen table I would let you read my email. I don't care if the government can track me!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
I've received no less than three notifications in the last week from my bank, a merchant, and Yahoo mail that my credit card, password, and security questions "may" have been compromised.

As a result, for my own safety, I have been issued another credit card, (necessitating update to all my online accounts using my CC,) and have been asked to change my passwords for any account having the same PW as that which may have been compromised, (who has a different password for each and every account??)

This is because these companies cannot keep control of their own data.

Of course, any cellphone data the Gov't could keep on us would be MUCH more secure from landing in the wrong hands.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
The NSA made note of that incident according to some posters here.
I suspect the dog was an NSA undercover agent.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I just don't understand how this is not concerning to people.

I'm not a "person of interest" (anymore). but I don't think people understand that there is a trend towards the criminalization of very average (boring) citizens.

Between your cell phone data, credit/debit transactions & ALR's tracking your driving routine we have zero privacy.

Does it not bother anybody that it's very easy for military/law enforcement to know where you were on Saturday at 2300, Monday at 0900 & where you will be today at 1400?

Is it because you think you are not "doing anything wrong" so therefore it's ok? Because it won't take much for things to change & a very average (boring) citizen to be on somebody's radar.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I just don't understand how this is not concerning to people.

I'm not a "person of interest" (anymore). but I don't think people understand that there is a trend towards the criminalization of very average (boring) citizens.

Between your cell phone data, credit/debit transactions & ALR's tracking your driving routine we have zero privacy.

Does it not bother anybody that it's very easy for military/law enforcement to know where you were on Saturday at 2300, Monday at 0900 & where you will be today at 1400?

Is it because you think you are not "doing anything wrong" so therefore it's ok? Because it won't take much for things to change & a very average (boring) citizen to be on somebody's radar.
It is a concern because someone could use personal information for nefarious purposes. We all know that.

However, the genie is out of the bottle. The government has access. So the question is now not how do we hide, but how do we ensure that is NOT used for nefarious purposes?

Technically, the government is US. No, that's not complete reality, but we do have to be vigilant.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:22 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
Quote:
The question is WHY would the government want to know about the lives of regular citizens? Can you explain your position on that.
Don't be silly. Everybody knows they track all of us so they know where we are when it's time for the jack-booted thugs in the black helicopters to round all of us sheeple up and lock us in the FEMA camps.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Default Everyone with a Cellphone

The danger for ordinary, law-abiding persons having their locations being constantly tracked is this: There will be a map showing where every one of them was and at what time. These can all be instantly separated and called-up by a computer program, so the idea that the massive amount of files will make them unusable, is not valid. If there was a crime committed at a certain time and place, anyone whose personal location map showed them to have been in the vicinity, would put them on a "person-of-interest" list and they would be investigated. Maybe, for lack of a good suspect, they would decide they could pin it on you. Anytime you might go into a restricted area, they could detect it.

Eventually, private landowners, such as timber companies, could tap into the system, to know that you took a little walk into their woods. Suppose you went for a stroll along your own street late at night. That could be considered suspicious behavior and they'd put you under surveillance. The possibilities for innocent people being railroaded are endless. With continuous GPS data flowing, they could tell that you were speeding, or ran through a traffic signal and issue you a citation electronically. Even if your car was older and without GPS, your cellphone would become your own Judas goat.

I'm getting one of those RF signal blocking pouches and will keep my cellphone in it at all times, except for the rare occasions I'm making an outgoing call. I will bolster its function by making an aluminum insert out of one of those flexible oven trays. These shielded pouches will also prevent auto thieves from pinging your key-fob inside your house at night and grabbing the code for opening and operating your car. These outlaws now have hacking devices that will work up to 100 feet of distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology