Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Apparently tracking secretly started in 2010. The government has detailed maps on every cell phone user.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...fac_story.html

https://www.eff.org/issues/cell-tracking

Report: iPhones secretly track their users' locations - CNN.com

When is it too much?
I have an aluminum foil cap for you to wear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:39 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian
So it is your assumption that the government wants to know when you go to wal-mart?

That is RIDICULOUS. Just as ridiculous that the NSA is listening in on your phone calls.
Well people who think this way GIVE THEM ALL THE POWER THEY NEED TO CONTINUE!!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:41 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, ALL cell phones have been traceable since they were invented you don't need GPS, it's called triangulation learn more about how technology works before you start with conspiracy theories. That's how mobile phones work. You can't make or receive calls without 3 cell phone towers knowing your exact location....

You use the internet, you are immediately traceable, since data packets have to go SOMEWHERE. Cell phones now use IP, so your voice is now the same data packets coming through your Ethernet port or WiFi. The government has been able to track you since the telephone was invented.
The government never approves any new technology unless they're going to benefit from it.

My roommate's wife took off from their home, in L.A., with the kids. Where did they go? Yup! They were found through tracking cellphone towers to a suburb of Atlanta. If I had been the wife, I would have hurled that phone into the Mississippi River as I crossed it!

I read a True Crime book, involving a man who killed his wife. "I was no where near the murder site that night!" Through cellphone towers they proved he was there at the night of the murder!

I love my privacy, nothing to hide, but, increasingly, I leave my "spy" at home, for long walks, bike rides.

My co-workers: "Isn't that dangerous, you could get robbed!"
Me: I don't have a land line at home anymore, and what if they steal my cellphone?

Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

That is RIDICULOUS. Just as ridiculous that the NSA is listening in on your phone calls.

You haven't been paying attention. Its been proven that their employees did exactly that with out authorization od any kind. Its folks like you that give them the power, because you think they are honest just because they are working for the Government. Good luck with that.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well people who think this way GIVE THEM ALL THE POWER THEY NEED TO CONTINUE!!
It's those darned "well people" who are causing these problems.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The guy who's being paid to monitor my phone has fallen asleep from boredom.

Mine too!

Since I have nothing to hide I don't concern myself with it. Plus if I ever get kidnapped I hope I can be found quickly.....

Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Mon: Work > Home > Tae Kwon Do > Home
Tues: Work > Home
Weds: Work > Tae Kwon Do > Home
Thur: Work > Home > buddies house > Home
Fri: Work > Home > Bowling Alley > Home
Sat: Cedar Point > Home
Sun: Home

There..now you all have my tracking info, too. Pretty dull, right?

If the NSA tracking my phone saves ONE life... it's worth it to me.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Ok so here is how my day went on 9/10. I stopped by the mosque in my Onstar equipped vehicle and used my phone several times. I used the GPS navigation to find the nearest Home Depot. I purchased 400 lbs of fertilizer, some box cutters, some nails and galvanized pipe with threaded ends and bought matching end caps then picked up some big gas cans and paid for it with my chip credit card. Got back in the car and found my way to the nearest gas station. Went ahead and filled the car and the gas cans so I would be ready to go to the airport. I got there just in time to park in the garage to pick up my friends Mohammed and his friend that didn't speak English. We then circled the airport about 3 times as we were lost, those guys in the long robes seemed to point a lot and yell but I don't understand much Arabic.

So we get home and filled the lawn mower with gas and cut my 20 acres, then fertilize the lawn. We used the nails and box cutters to fix a few pieces of trim around the house. After we cut the grass we fertilized the 20 acres. We fixed the irrigation pump and tuned up the sprinkler system and blocked off a few zones we didn't need with the end caps. Boy my friend Mohammed works hard and his friend did good work also.

See it is completely feasible officer! Sorry you had 30 officers show up with that warrant signed by a judge. Do you want to use my phone to call the Chief and let him know how good my lawn looks now?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:32 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Mon: Work > Home > Tae Kwon Do > Home
Tues: Work > Home
Weds: Work > Tae Kwon Do > Home
Thur: Work > Home > buddies house > Home
Fri: Work > Home > Bowling Alley > Home
Sat: Cedar Point > Home
Sun: Home

There..now you all have my tracking info, too. Pretty dull, right?

If the NSA tracking my phone saves ONE life... it's worth it to me.
If you think it's just your phone's location, then sure...think that way.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:41 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The government never approves any new technology unless they're going to benefit from it.

My roommate's wife took off from their home, in L.A., with the kids. Where did they go? Yup! They were found through tracking cellphone towers to a suburb of Atlanta. If I had been the wife, I would have hurled that phone into the Mississippi River as I crossed it!

I read a True Crime book, involving a man who killed his wife. "I was no where near the murder site that night!" Through cellphone towers they proved he was there at the night of the murder!

I love my privacy, nothing to hide, but, increasingly, I leave my "spy" at home, for long walks, bike rides.

My co-workers: "Isn't that dangerous, you could get robbed!"
Me: I don't have a land line at home anymore, and what if they steal my cellphone?
LOL, I got annoyed with myself for carrying my phone everywhere, especially on walks. Why do I need a phone? If I drop dead of a heart attack, someone will come across my carcass, and likely they'll have a phone. I like to check the time, but hey, they make these things called watches. I could get one.

So, a couple of weeks ago I am on vacation with a friend who has two dogs. I'm an early riser, she is not. When I said I was going to take a walk on the beach in the morning, she said, "Can you take Louie with you?" I said sure, would be nice to walk a dog. I only have cats.

I left the house, deciding to leave the phone home, because why would I need it? Well, I would have needed it because Louie took exception to walking with me, and as I led him up over the dunes, he suddenly slipped his head out of his collar and ran like a bat out of hell for the road. There I am, trying to chase a dog that I cannot possibly catch, in a place he doesn't know how to get back to, and I can't even call my friend to come out and try to lure her dog back. He got about a quarter mile down the road, and my yells brought out a few people who helped sort of herd him into a yard where there was another dog, and when he went to sniff that dog, the owner grabbed him for me. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I CARRIED him back to the house. I will never ever again take another person's dog for a walk, but if I did, I would take my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology