Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm in Centralia right now (emergency happened and have to return not just to CA but San Diego). I am going to enjoy it for now. Had some very heavy rain down here in Lewis County earlier. Little bit of thunder too.
I'm about 30 miles southeast of Centralia and it's been pretty quiet here - other than a bit of a sprinkle within the last hour.

But I have driven that stretch of I-5 through Chehalis/Centralia during heavy rain and it can be nasty. Drive safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 19,397 times
Mannnn... Think I missed it. :-/

Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHadder View Post
Mannnn... Think I missed it. :-/
Summer will be back on Saturday. It's still early September. Expect nice weather until late September or early October. There are nice and sunny days even in October, but the temperature drops and will be 60 instead of 75.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm about 30 miles southeast of Centralia and it's been pretty quiet here - other than a bit of a sprinkle within the last hour.

But I have driven that stretch of I-5 through Chehalis/Centralia during heavy rain and it can be nasty. Drive safe.
Thanks cinebar. Yeah it was pissing rain earlier, mostly in the morning. My relatives showed me where the water has come in padt floods. My step bro pointed to the home depot, a good distance from the freeway and said they had three feet of water once. Hopefully it will be ok when I have to drive out.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thanks cinebar. Yeah it was pissing rain earlier, mostly in the morning. My relatives showed me where the water has come in padt floods. My step bro pointed to the home depot, a good distance from the freeway and said they had three feet of water once. Hopefully it will be ok when I have to drive out.
Oh, no........Home Depot and Walmart both had way more than three feet of water; the water was up roof-level. There are aerial photos of that flood showing just the roofs of those two stores showing above the water; I'll see if I can find some.

Do you know where the Yardbirds Mall is? There used to be a lot of antique/collectibles dealers in the mall, kind of a flea market thing, and during the same flood that I mentioned above, after it was all over, I was talking to one of the cashiers that was working in the Shop 'n Kart grocery store (also in the mall) and she told me how they escaped the water by going into the attic and they could hear glass breaking as the water knocked over the tables of glassware and stuff. What a mess.

That was really hard on a lot of small business owners; Walmart and HD re-opened pretty quickly but the small guys took much longer to recover......and some never recovered at all.

I-5 was flooded and traffic was being diverted up Highway 12 and over White Pass.

I wish I could remember what year that was; I moved up here eight years ago and it was probably the second or third winter that I lived here. If I can find some pictures, I'll post them (or links to them).

Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

I-5 was flooded and traffic was being diverted up Highway 12 and over White Pass.

I wish I could remember what year that was; I moved up here eight years ago and it was probably the second or third winter that I lived here. If I can find some pictures, I'll post them (or links to them).
That was 2007.

Actually traffic wasn't so much diverted. The trucks stayed on i5 and there was long lines of them just...waiting for the waters to recede. They were the first to go, regular traffic either had to wait or find another way.

2 things I really remember of that flooding: the water being so high, a kayaker was basically eye level with that Pe Ell exit sign. And the cows... very sad.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
That was 2007.

Actually traffic wasn't so much diverted. The trucks stayed on i5 and there was long lines of them just...waiting for the waters to recede. They were the first to go, regular traffic either had to wait or find another way.

2 things I really remember of that flooding: the water being so high, a kayaker was basically eye level with that Pe Ell exit sign. And the cows... very sad.
You're right about the year; I came across that when I was looking for the Walmart/HD pictures (I moved up here in October 2005, so my guess was pretty close).

Lots of livestock lost. A sheep dairy lost all but one of their sheep. There is a story about an elderly woman who raised some kind of hounds and she lost all but a couple of very young puppies out of one litter and that was by keeping them with her while she literally sat on top of a dresser with the rising waters below her. I think she lost 30 or 40 dogs.

The following year, it also flooded but didn't do as much damage; in fact, I think it missed Walmart and HD completely, while hitting - again - some of the same small businesses hurt the year before.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Heavy rain, thunder, lightening here in the "south sound" area, and it's only 5A.M....

Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Heavy rain, thunder, lightening here in the "south sound" area, and it's only 5A.M....
Yup.

I woke to thunder this morning, too, although I haven't actually seen lightning yet - but my eyes haven't been open very long.

I don't think the heavy rain has hit us......yet.

They're predicting temps near 90 by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
Is your ark built yet? Today into tomorrow morning will feature record setting rainfall for much of the area. As of the latest data, thunderstorms still a good bet (which is already in progress in parts of the area) but the biggest action will happen later thisafternoon into tonight. If we can get a period of clearing with some sun, this will destabilize the atmosphere further, thus resulting in stronger thunderstorms developing that may be accompanied by hail up to dime size, gusty winds to 40, maybe up to 50mph. Best chances for thunderstorms between 3pm until midnight, but a flash or two of lightning is possible until daybreak tomorrow. I mentioned earlier about possible tornadoes, while not a zero chance, chances are lower than what yesterdays data implied. Across the Cascades, a remotely better chance as will the hail and damaging wind threat.

The biggest story by far, will be the flash flooding that we'll be contending with. This WILL BE a big deal and will rival some of the more notable flooding events in the last few years, especially in the mountains. If you have plans of heading into the mountains, with the exception of I-90.. I strongly suggest you delay your trip until the weekend at the earliest. Hwy 410 to Yakima and Hwy 20 to Mazama and Okanagon in particular are at risks for landslides by thisevening and may be subject to road closures for the next few days, so please plan ahead!! If the latest data verifies.. up to 6 inches of rain may fall in these areas between thismorning through Friday night.. simply epic for this time of year!!

Along the I-5 corridor, I'm looking at anywhere from .75 to 2 inches through Fri. night total. On the Oly. Pen. locally up to 5 inches possible in the mountains. Not sure where the traditional areas where flash flooding can occur, but wherever they are, it will likely happen.

We should start to clear out by Sat. AM, Sunday should have at least some decent amounts of sun, and next week.. gorgeous and warm, more common for early Sept. and a pretty good stretch of dry weather for all of next week.. you'll need it. Stay safe .. and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area