Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Question for weather experts (and i don't feel like digging through 50 pages of posts) :

has there been any trend that indicates Seattle/PacNW weather has been changing..say warmer summers, colder winters, etc? for example i've read that the weather in London is definitely different than it was say 10 years ago - reasons for this can be debated, but wondering if there has been a similar phenomenon in the PacNW
I think it's changing - I'm not sure how, but I think it is everywhere.

EVERY season I lived there my husband would say, "This weather isn't normal for PNW" IT felt all over the map

But I'll put the two cents in for Sac to tell you in the last 3 years, Spring has been much more wet and cold (for our area) and the summer has been cooler (this august average is 15 degrees less than normal) and fall is starting so late - about Mid November.

Something is definitely afoot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specificnorthwest View Post
Question for weather experts (and i don't feel like digging through 50 pages of posts) :

has there been any trend that indicates Seattle/PacNW weather has been changing..say warmer summers, colder winters, etc? for example i've read that the weather in London is definitely different than it was say 10 years ago - reasons for this can be debated, but wondering if there has been a similar phenomenon in the PacNW
Well, I can't say for sure that it's changing overall - but I can tell you this much: I NEVER EVER thought I'd see an official high of 103 here in Seattle (and 5 degrees or more HIGHER in some of the surrounding area) as we saw last year. As I've already posted at one point - that's HIGHER than it's been at any time over the last 5 years on our land in SE Arizona!

Ken

Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM

129 posts, read 388,559 times
from what i've been able to gather, the consensus is that the PacNW will be getting warmer and wetter

wondering if this has been noticable at all to thise who have lived hear for 10+ years (realizing this would be a purely anectodal asessment)

Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Personally, I think the El Niño's effects gotten stronger, and usual weather pattern been more... skewered/unpredictable.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:33 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,162 times
I can definately say that springs have been cooler than normal, summer starting later than normal, winters being about average, Octobers being warmer and Augusts being MUCH cooler than normal.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times
Default Is it typically windy in Seattle?

I'm from San Francisco (although not living there now). Is it anything like that?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,010 times
Seattle is not normally windy but occasionally we get storms that can knock down trees. Here's a link to a Washington and California wind maps. It looks like on average Seattle gets less wind than San Francisco.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...aps/wa_80m.jpg

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...aps/ca_80m.jpg

Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Seattle does get wind, yes oh yes. November here is a season in itself. It's the season of very high rainfall and powerful wind storms. A couple of years ago a tree in front of my apartment building was blown over in the wind. Luckily no damage was done, and it was a pretty big tree, too.

Ever heard of Galloping Gertie? Thank a windstorm for that coming down, too! And in November no less!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Personally, I think the El Niño's effects gotten stronger, and usual weather pattern been more... skewered/unpredictable.
This winter they are predicting La Nina, the opposite of El Nino. Colder than average temperatures with higher than average precipitation. Can we all say snow? I hope the greater Seattle area is more prepared this time than last!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
This winter they are predicting La Nina, the opposite of El Nino. Colder than average temperatures with higher than average precipitation. Can we all say snow? I hope the greater Seattle area is more prepared this time than last!
Yes, I've posted a link earlier talking about that. It's going to be record setting apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
There's saying this coming winter is suppose to set up snow records...

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Winter Forecast 2010-2011: Heavier Snow for Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit, Normal Snowfall for NYC, Philly and D.C. (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/34891/winter-2011-heavier-snow-for-c.asp - broken link)

I just hope we don't have the same problems that we did in 2008. Snow in Seattle sucks so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area