Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM

236 posts, read 472,355 times

Advertisements

Citygirl,

I agree completely!!!!!

75 degrees and warmer is outstanding weather. We are on Day what 180 or so of the year and it hasnt been 75 degrees or warmer here but 10 times so far this year, maybe, depending on where you live. That is one aspect. Temperature.

The other aspect is sunshine. The one that really is the kicker, to me. I like to see the sunrise and Mt Rainier when wake up and driving to work. I'm not keeping track but I would say on the 28th Day of June I have woke up to about 5 sunrises scattered throughout the month of June. Waking up morning after morning of gray skies is taxing. Does that mean I cant go out and do all that I like, No. I took the advice and get out almost everyday, (allergies are making me pay but so what take a pill and go on with the day).

I remember when I moved here from Augusta in late June, I went from wearing shorts and t-shirts to wearing sweatshirts and sweats all year long. That has been my trend the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
75 degrees is my cut off too! But I've always said 75 and WARMER.

I actually kept my house thermostat set at 75 year round
I would have a hard time dealing with my apartment being at 75 F in the summer. That is when I get hot.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
My sister-in-law lives in Yuba City. She made a comment on Facebook yesterday about the 105 degree temperatures that they were having. Last summer they were paying up to $1000 a month - yes, a month - for electricity. (Pool, 2500 sg ft house w/ cathedral ceiling, A/C.)

I thought yesterday was pleasant here. Not too hot. The breeze felt good as I was grilling dinner. I was comfortable under my blankets in bed with the window open a little, with a cat curled up by my feet. Right now my office window is open and I'm comfortably cool. And it feels good to know that I won't be using a drop of oil for heat until next October, and that I'll only have to put in the window rattler A/C for a month or so this summer to cool the house down in the late afternoon/early evening.

I'll take this climate over 100+ temperatures in the summer any day.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
My sister-in-law lives in Yuba City. She made a comment on Facebook yesterday about the 105 degree temperatures that they were having. Last summer they were paying up to $1000 a month - yes, a month - for electricity. (Pool, 2500 sg ft house w/ cathedral ceiling, A/C.)

I thought yesterday was pleasant here. Not too hot. The breeze felt good as I was grilling dinner. I was comfortable under my blankets in bed with the window open a little, with a cat curled up by my feet. Right now my office window is open and I'm comfortably cool. And it feels good to know that I won't be using a drop of oil for heat until next October, and that I'll only have to put in the window rattler A/C for a month or so this summer to cool the house down in the late afternoon/early evening.

I'll take this climate over 100+ temperatures in the summer any day.
My sentiments exactly. I am not that fond of temps going to 100+ degrees. However, if the humidity is high, that makes it worse.

A few days ago, I walked back from school to my apartment. I immediately started sweating, to the point where I had to take my shirt off. I couldn't take it. One of the worst things about the southeastern climate is that no matter what you do, it doesn't really matter. I could take a hot shower, wear clean clothes, put on good deodorant(such as old spice) and I will still end up sweating and the deodorant won't work. One will get sweaty and the aroma of deodorant can't hold up. Part of why most people in the South drive. It is simply too hot to walk anywhere. I don't have a choice. I don't have a car, nor can I afford one, so I walk. Part of the reason Seattle's climate has more of an appeal with me.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
On the other hand, some people really can't stand hot weather. I prefer to be outside when temperatures are 75 degrees or cooler.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,705,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
$1000 a month?? How inefficient is her system?? I spent $350 a month in Seattle to keep it warm and I thought that was outrageous!

Our electricity bill this month is.........$32! HA! I didn't need the heater or the AC hardly in the last 30-45 days. (No Pool but cathedral ceilings and 2700 sqft)

Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
$1000 a month?? How inefficient is her system?? I spent $350 a month in Seattle to keep it warm and I thought that was outrageous!

Our electricity bill this month is.........$32! HA! I didn't need the heater or the AC hardly in the last 30-45 days. (No Pool but cathedral ceilings and 2700 sqft)
The AC hasn't worked in my apartment and the bill was at least $150.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Funny, the weather affects me because i am outdoors driven, just like plants we also thrive on sunshine. I hear people here complain when it hits 75 and they are sweating. From what I see people who sit indoors on computers all day or play video games dont care how it looks out. Other people who like to run, bike, walk dogs, go to the playground are the ones I see that care....again its just what I observe,

But no need to get defensive, this forum has been striving because people are keeping it mature and giving there perspectives...

I observe the exact opposite of you...

One of the countless advantages of living in the Seattle area...the weather is rarely bad enough to keep most people from enjoying the outdoors.

When I lived in Texas and the southeast I hated the weather from May through October because it was too hot to enjoy being outside.

With a few exceptions, I'll take the maritime climate of the PNW anytime over the weather anywhere else in the country.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,933 times
My electric bill was $16 last month for my 1-bed. I don't think I'll ever move to the burbs. I wouldn't be able to afford life!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
My electric bill was $16 last month for my 1-bed. I don't think I'll ever move to the burbs. I wouldn't be able to afford life!
I wish mine's was that low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area