Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgdfgsdgf View Post
Give me a bit of an overview. I currently live in Boston. Is it that bad? Worse? If I want to hike and get outdoors, how likely will I be able to do that?
I read the other post which said looking for a conservative city not on the west coast with a low cost of living and easy commute. Seattle is so liberal that Trump only got 8% of the vote. And we're on the west coast. And we have one of the highest cost of living in the country. And a half hour commute means living right in downtown Seattle. And it rains here a lot and when it's not raining it's overcast. July and August are the only two reliably sunny months each year. People with SAD buy lights to treat it and when that doesn't work, they flee to sunnier places like Arizona. We don't check any of those boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
^^^^ Ditto what Seacove says. Try Boise?

Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,945,273 times
You don't want to be around come October, they only thing on your mind is how the %$# do I endure 5 more months of this ****.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 PM

320 posts, read 513,142 times
Quote:
Give me a bit of an overview. I currently live in Boston. Is it that bad? Worse? If I want to hike and get outdoors, how likely will I be able to do that?

If you're coming from Boston, you just might like it here. Yes, its overcast a lot but its still bright enough to see things (unlike overcast days on the east coast). Also we rarely get snow. And summers aren't hot at all. Yes, it rains "a lot" but we have the same average perciptation as Washington DC, its just that they get all theirs in snow in jan-mar, whereas we get sprinkles all year round. From September through March it will rain almost every day from like 4am to 6am, but its nothing like the rains back east. Its like a light shower/dusting. We don't get spring thunderstorms like they get back east.

I think you'll like it here, weather wise.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
The only thing gloomier and less welcoming than the weather is the people

Old 06-03-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
If you're coming from Boston, you just might like it here. Yes, its overcast a lot but its still bright enough to see things (unlike overcast days on the east coast). Also we rarely get snow. And summers aren't hot at all. Yes, it rains "a lot" but we have the same average perciptation as Washington DC, its just that they get all theirs in snow in jan-mar, whereas we get sprinkles all year round. From September through March it will rain almost every day from like 4am to 6am, but its nothing like the rains back east. Its like a light shower/dusting. We don't get spring thunderstorms like they get back east.

I think you'll like it here, weather wise.
Sure it's bright. Check out how bright it is on the accompanying picture to these articles.

Seattle gets a year's worth of rain in just 5.5 months... again | KOMO

Seattle Sets New Rain Records
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...w-rain-records

"The Seattle Times reports that over the past four years, Seattle has recieved 186.4 inches of rain, which is more rainfall than any other four-year period in the city's recorded history. The previous record, 180.6 inches, was recorded between 1995 and 1998."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
The only thing gloomier and less welcoming than the weather is the people
It's true. We are.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
IMO reports are exaggerated. I'm originally from CA, lived in Sea. over 20 years, and never had a problem with the weather. It can't possibly be as bad as Boston, because it rarely gets any snow, and when it does, it's usually pretty light.

That said, the weather patterns are changing. The prognosis for the future is that late fall/winter will be rainier, and summers will be dry, dry, dry. And weird heat waves have been happening the last few years. A sign of the times. Still, it's probably better than the extreme winters the NE has seen the last couple of years.

The thing that seems to bug people the most, is the very short winter days. You go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark. But the days already start getting longer by the New Year, so if you focus on the days lengthening, you can get through it. It also helps to get outside on the weekends and do some winter sports, while there's daylight. That seems to help psycologically.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IMO reports are exaggerated. I'm originally from CA, lived in Sea. over 20 years, and never had a problem with the weather. It can't possibly be as bad as Boston, because it rarely gets any snow, and when it does, it's usually pretty light.

That said, the weather patterns are changing. The prognosis for the future is that late fall/winter will be rainier, and summers will be dry, dry, dry. And weird heat waves have been happening the last few years. A sign of the times. Still, it's probably better than the extreme winters the NE has seen the last couple of years.

The thing that seems to bug people the most, is the very short winter days. You go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark. But the days already start getting longer by the New Year, so if you focus on the days lengthening, you can get through it. It also helps to get outside on the weekends and do some winter sports, while there's daylight. That seems to help psycologically.
Isn't this coming from New Mexico now though?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If anything, this spring has been too dry and sunny for my taste. We finally got a bit of rain last night and still some misty drizzle this morning. I love the outdoors, hiking, and other activities, but the rain has never stopped or slowed me down. In fact, it’s great to only have it in the 80s for July and August most years. While the shirt winter daylight bothers some people, the summer light staying so late makes up for it. Even now in early June it’s light at 5am and until 9pm.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,747 times
I lived in the Seattle area for 31 years. Pretty much hiked or biked every weekend, with the exception of high wind storms (trees and branches falling and killing you is the greatest potential hazard).

You do have to invest in lots of high tech rain gear and synthetic clothing that will keep you warm when wet. We finally joined the fad of hiking with umbrellas when it isn't windy, because hiking for hours with rain drenching the hood of your parka just gets irritating, and also even the most high tech fabric will soak through eventually. You have to carry a larger pack than most places, because you have to carry rain gear on EVERY hike.

After 3 decades of that, it finally got to me. Tired of dark dismal soggy Winter, Spring, Fall, with only two months of glorious Summer, when it could still rain on any planned hike weekend.

I live in High Desert now. Sure we have irritating dust and forest fire smoke, but its a welcome change and seems odd to be able to skip a hike due to a rare 20% chance of rain, because it will likely be dry and sunny the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area