Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,826 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Have been reading this thread for a week or so and it has so much good and insightful information! It really did help answer questions I didn't want to bug the recruiter about.

Needless to say, I was offered a job at Amazon on Monday (June 8th) and am waiting to hear where I'll be placed as I am open to relocating.

Questions I'm hoping someone could answer for me (I will be a Sr. HRA for reference):

1. How long does it generally take to hear back on where I'll be placed? I start July 13th and would like to start planning. The new recruiter said I would hear back midweek next week, but I was wondering if there is any chance that I would hear back sooner. Also, how close do they match you with the locations you put in your top three? Has anyone ever gotten placed somewhere they had lower in their preference list?

2. In regard to the sign-on bonus, how does that work? It it taken out of your annual pay and given to you as an advance on your check, or is it an actual bonus added on to your annual salary?

3. What is training like and is it paid for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 PM

27 posts, read 95,494 times
^^^Sign-on bonus should be in addition to your base pay and can be given one off or added to your monthly pay-check

Old 06-14-2015, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 15,374 times
Hi All,

I am from Sydney and recently got an offer as TPM.

I am very excited to move to Amazon but the only concern i have is the offer they have given me. The base is $126k plus some sign on bonus and then shares. I wanted to know how much negotiations i am able to perform or that doesn't work out in Amazon.

The help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Old 06-15-2015, 03:29 PM

127 posts, read 165,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-syd View Post
Hi All,

I am from Sydney and recently got an offer as TPM.

I am very excited to move to Amazon but the only concern i have is the offer they have given me. The base is $126k plus some sign on bonus and then shares. I wanted to know how much negotiations i am able to perform or that doesn't work out in Amazon.

The help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
I'd haggle, for sure, but others may have better experiences with Amazon.

Is 126K the going rate for a TPM? Seattle is nowhere as expensive as Sydney, so it's a decent salary in absolute terms, and I suspect the 'extras' will add substantially.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 15,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post
I'd haggle, for sure, but others may have better experiences with Amazon.

Is 126K the going rate for a TPM? Seattle is nowhere as expensive as Sydney, so it's a decent salary in absolute terms, and I suspect the 'extras' will add substantially.
Thanks Frank for your reply.

I agree that cost of living will be a bit cheaper in Seattle compared to Sydney.

The only thing bothering me and hence Some more money:
1) medical is free in Sydney
2) Child care is subsidiesd
3) The biggest is my wife will not be able to work as H1B spouses can not work.

With all the above scenarios i think getting 10K more should be good. But i am not sure how it worka here if i ask more then Amazon can say no.

Any suggestions?

As this is a very different culture than Australia.

Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-syd View Post
Thanks Frank for your reply.

I agree that cost of living will be a bit cheaper in Seattle compared to Sydney.

The only thing bothering me and hence Some more money:
1) medical is free in Sydney
2) Child care is subsidiesd
3) The biggest is my wife will not be able to work as H1B spouses can not work.

With all the above scenarios i think getting 10K more should be good. But i am not sure how it worka here if i ask more then Amazon can say no.

Any suggestions?

As this is a very different culture than Australia.

Thanks
I've never not countered first offer from an employer here. They can only say no.

My monthly medical insurance payments are pretty much in line with the % you pay in Australia for medicare, and the out of pocket expenses aren't high if you have a good policy.

We had same problem with my wife and not being able to work when we first got here. That is a serious nightmare. Feel free to DM me if you have specifics - it's not the easiest transition at first!!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
feel free to counter. if you're an experience hire (not college), they are open to some negotiation. you can always ask for more base or more stock. they may be more receptive to more stock...

Old 06-17-2015, 11:05 PM

42 posts, read 60,659 times
Hi RVD or anyone else who can provide input,

I had my onsite loop today which consisted of a brief intro with the recruiter, 5 formal interviews, and an informational lunch with a team member. The questions themselves weren't particularly different from anything I've encountered at other jobs but the level of detail that they try to get out of you made it challenging. The bar raiser definitely stood out as the toughest interviewer and I left feeling very uneasy after that one.

Anyways my question is, do you think it's necessary to send out the follow up thank you note to each interviewer? I've always done this basically because all the job sites recommend it but I have no idea if it means anything. I know when I interview people, I rarely get notes and when I do, it has zero bearing on my decision.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawksLOB View Post
Hi RVD or anyone else who can provide input,

I had my onsite loop today which consisted of a brief intro with the recruiter, 5 formal interviews, and an informational lunch with a team member. The questions themselves weren't particularly different from anything I've encountered at other jobs but the level of detail that they try to get out of you made it challenging. The bar raiser definitely stood out as the toughest interviewer and I left feeling very uneasy after that one.

Anyways my question is, do you think it's necessary to send out the follow up thank you note to each interviewer? I've always done this basically because all the job sites recommend it but I have no idea if it means anything. I know when I interview people, I rarely get notes and when I do, it has zero bearing on my decision.
I've never done it, and when I've been hiring people and they've sent me thank-you notes, I find it creepy to be honest!!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM

153 posts, read 220,393 times
I have been going through this thread a bit and it is very long! Which may be why I have not found what I am looking for. I am currently a CS major at the University of Arizona and I am interested in what it takes to get an internship with amazon. For that matter an internship at any decent place in Seattle. I will be looking for one for next summer. If anyone has any advice on how to stand out, where to look other than Amazon, or what extracurricular activities that may be sought after I would appreciate it a great deal. I have about a semester before applications need to start going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area