Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,561,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
The first parent sounds like a typical republican. They think that people are poor because they want to be poor, and if only they worked harder they could do better. They don't understand that when you're not playing on a level field (access to good education, parents who care, consistent and clean living environment, etc) it's not fair to accuse people of "not trying hard enough". A lot of people are trapped in a cycle of poverty and poor education. We all most certainly don't have the same chances in life.

As far as the rude guy....I'd get angry, too, if kids were tromping my grass. Sounds like he's making a huge ordeal out of it. A small "please keep off the grass" sign should suffice.
I hate both the far left and far right. Yeah, some on the right assume anyone who isn't driving a mercedes just isn't working hard enough. Equally ignorant are those on the far left who assume anyone not well off is that way for no fault of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,619,833 times
That's the problem with east side...it's full of "eastsiders"

Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,619,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I hate both the far left and far right. Yeah, some on the right assume anyone who isn't driving a mercedes just isn't working hard enough. Equally ignorant are those on the far left who assume anyone not well off is that way for no fault of their own.
True. Anybody who thinks the world is that black and white just isn't much for details or critical thinking.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
That's very true. Thanks for posting it. When I think of "neighborhood character" I usually think of Leslie (shout out to any Austinites) and that guy who walks down E. Lake Sammamish PkWy around noontime wearing spring chick yellow clothing (pants, jacket, hat and gloves -all YELLOW).... I wonder if I'm the only one who's noticed him??? I don't mind characters at all .... that's kind of fun. I just feel like these two individuals are not very fun.
Yellow man! Yes, I have seen him many times. Would love to hear his story.

In any "affluent" community where a large majority of residents own, there tends to be some prejudice against renters from fear that they will lower property values and lower school performance. I remember when a large complex was built a mile or so from us in the late 90s, and there was a great outcry against it.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,444,702 times
not to get too political here but i will anyway...

that first lady went a bit too far but her sentiment was right.

at least in this country, this is still the land of opportunity. most millionaires are self made and many immigrants came here with pocket change and made a living. in fact, the percentage of Asian and Indian families that immigrated to this country that came with nothing, worked multiple menial jobs for years, saved up enough to start a small business in the worst part of town, and grew that business to move to a better part of town is staggering. and guess what, their kids did well in school too so they went to college and found stable jobs and are now living on the eastside...

not that i condone this, but there are even many illegal immigrant families in the asian community who came here and found jobs that pay under the table and eventually got to a point where they started their own companies all flying under the radar of US immigration.

yes, there are socioeconomic issues and it's not a level playing field. but this isn't a 3rd world country where you are born into an untouchable class of society and your future is destined to be living in poverty.

the proof that i continue to bring up is the asian community...take a look at the chinese, koreans, vietnamese, japanese, indians, etc. who all immigrated here. i've even heard people say "i heard that the US government gave $20k to each of those koreans to start their own dry cleaners, liquor stores, etc."...uh no, not true.

RVD.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,019,214 times
Sigh.

#1 seems dense. She is in a bubble and is perfectly okay with it, and would probably melt if she stepped outside of it. She may even take happy pills. I wouldn't be able to maintain a straight face while having a conversation with her.

#2, every neighborhood has one of those. Don't accidentally throw a baseball into his yard either.

You love your neighborhood, but you don't long for somewhere more normal?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 AM

118 posts, read 295,899 times
You have to learn not to engage the stupidity.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,060,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yellow man! Yes, I have seen him many times. Would love to hear his story.

In any "affluent" community where a large majority of residents own, there tends to be some prejudice against renters from fear that they will lower property values and lower school performance. I remember when a large complex was built a mile or so from us in the late 90s, and there was a great outcry against it.
What about renters who have the largest, nicest house on the block? The one behind gates? Are they bad for property values? Or are they just insulting in another way?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,772,764 times
Curious - where is the neighborhood? The grouchy old guy lives in every neighborhood. Ever see an old movie called "The Burbs" with Tom Hanks? Every time we see an old guy carrying a little dog, we say "Queenie!".

Angelenogirl my friend that bought in West Seattle rented there first and said she did have the feeling maybe because she was renting she didn't belong as much. Then she bought a bigger even nicer house. She just wanted to rent first to see how she would like living in West Seattle.

Last edited by Seacove; 05-01-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I cross through a set of condos when walking to the school and there is this older man that sits there and gets really grumpy with parents picking up their kids park on the streets nearest the school or when the kids are let out and walk home through the property. He is literally there almost everyday (what a way to spend retirement). I got mad at him at the beginning of the year because he was scaring the younger kids, yelling at them to stay off the grass, not to be loud, etc. So I told him I didn't appreciate how he was treating everyone and he's like, "it's my property, and people like you are costing me money!" Etc..etc.. Well today, he was bothering another mom who had just pulled over to briefly let her kid into the van and he wouldn't let her pass until he wrote down her plate numbers. She was honking at him and I quickly went over there and told her that he's a freak and the best thing to do is to let him be, it's his choice to spend his retirement being a synonym-for-donkey and to just let it go. Then he bears into me, saying, he knows my name, it's been reported to the police, he's going to have me arrested for trespassing and harassment, etc.... I'm like DUDE, I was actually telling her to leave!
Hi, Flyingsaucermom! That was me that suggested a neighbors-from-hell thread. Hoo, boy, do I have some stories for you! But starting out gradually, I'll just comment on the crank in your little neighborhood turf war here. This type of territoriality seems to come with age. Idk, maybe it's hormonal. The curmudgeon thing, you know. I had an older retired couple as neighbors in the first place I bought in Seattle, long ago. They were very "turf" -fixated. First, they freaked out when I rented out the basement as a separate unit. They came over and asked the renters if the house was going to become a "commune". They were terrified, apparently.

Their driveway to their garage ran parallel to the side of my house, and they watched it like hawks, in a very obvious manner, from their kitchen window. They didn't want anyone walking on it, or parking near it. I had guests over one evening, and one parked the car too close to their driveway, though still in front of my property. The neighbor demanded we move the car, even though it wasn't obstructing anything. Fortunately, neither I nor the renters had a car, so that was pretty much a non-issue, except for the occasional visitors. We just made sure we gave those neighbors plenty of space, and went about our business.

If these are your only complaints, FS-Mom, you have it easy! Stay tuned, for more Neighbors-From-Hell stories! I'm just getting warmed up, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area