Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Didn't someone at some point say we should have a rant-yo-neighbor thread? Can I be the one to start it????

Seriously, I don't know if it is affluenza or the Eastside or what, but WOW what an afternoon. I went to the bus stop to get my kid, while there I asked the other mom how her weekend was and she said she went to see Mud and liked it. So far so good. Then using the film as a reference, she comments how she couldn't imagine living in someplace so dirty and filthy and stinky and "good for me that I don't, I like having my nice things in my bubble" (this is probably the third or fourth time this year she's talked about her "bubble"). Well to this I say, "yeah, but for so many people around the world they don't really have the choice". And this one comment sets. her. off. She kept saying "yes they do, they always have the choice to change, if they want to" I was like, "well, then how do you explain the Mexicans who cross the border in their effort to "change" and they can't succeed... some get killed along the way, some get deported and some stay but live in the shadows doing menial work, unable to meaningfully have a better life, especially since they are often separated from their families and friends?". She replies, "oh, I'm not talking about the rest of the world, that's their problem if they don't want to embrace democracy, but here, you absolutely always have the opportunity to succeed, it's not easy, but it's always available to everyone". I told her, "but not everyone has the resources when they need them and not everyone understands how to use their resources efficiently" Then she says, "well, it's not my problem and I'm certainly not paying for it". I said, "well, I understand it's your opinion, but it's not one I agree with". And then before turning away she says, "Well I have my assets and I can do with them as I please!". Whoa.

Wait, wait, that was just what happened when I picked up the first kid. The second kid was WORSE. I cross through a set of condos when walking to the school and there is this older man that sits there and gets really grumpy with parents picking up their kids park on the streets nearest the school or when the kids are let out and walk home through the property. He is literally there almost everyday (what a way to spend retirement). I got mad at him at the beginning of the year because he was scaring the younger kids, yelling at them to stay off the grass, not to be loud, etc. So I told him I didn't appreciate how he was treating everyone and he's like, "it's my property, and people like you are costing me money!" Etc..etc.. Well today, he was bothering another mom who had just pulled over to briefly let her kid into the van and he wouldn't let her pass until he wrote down her plate numbers. She was honking at him and I quickly went over there and told her that he's a freak and the best thing to do is to let him be, it's his choice to spend his retirement being a synonym-for-donkey and to just let it go. Then he bears into me, saying, he knows my name, it's been reported to the police, he's going to have me arrested for trespassing and harassment, etc.... I'm like DUDE, I was actually telling her to leave!

Seriously, I'm questioning if this is Eastside or if this is affluence... or both.... my heart breaks from this indifference and lack of consideration of the situations and needs of others both in the neighborhood and across the globe. I moved up here because it's so beautiful and the school is great and I believe in new urbanism concepts, but it seems to be that many people who move here have very little understanding of them. They just want to make their insular bubbles and never venture far from them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
It's more common on the Eastside. I live in a reasonably affluent neighborhood in Seattle but I never run into that.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
I've personally run more into that in Seattle than the Eastside actually. Some of the comments I've come across would have your head rolling because... what do you even say to that? There's never a real effective comeback because you know it does nothing. They don't get it and they won't.

But the indifference and lack of considerations et. c is a lot more widespread than the whole Eastside vs Seattle side. Las Vegas was probably just about the worst I've come across.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Not just the Eastside. I'm pretty sure I live on the grumpiest and least considerate street in Seattle. I don't drink the water, just to be safe.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Not just the Eastside. I'm pretty sure I live on the grumpiest and least considerate street in Seattle. I don't drink the water, just to be safe.
I wouldn't say it's a hard, fast rule - but you do get more of that if you rent and are new to the neighborhood. But yeah, it also has to do with the neighborhood. We only have one really grumpy neighbor, but even he tries since we're going to be here for a while.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
The first parent sounds like a typical republican. They think that people are poor because they want to be poor, and if only they worked harder they could do better. They don't understand that when you're not playing on a level field (access to good education, parents who care, consistent and clean living environment, etc) it's not fair to accuse people of "not trying hard enough". A lot of people are trapped in a cycle of poverty and poor education. We all most certainly don't have the same chances in life.

As far as the rude guy....I'd get angry, too, if kids were tromping my grass. Sounds like he's making a huge ordeal out of it. A small "please keep off the grass" sign should suffice.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I wouldn't say it's a hard, fast rule - but you do get more of that if you rent and are new to the neighborhood. But yeah, it also has to do with the neighborhood. We only have one really grumpy neighbor, but even he tries since we're going to be here for a while.
Huh. I didn't realize the being renters or merely new meant we'd have our kindnesses met with disdain. I learn more about this city every day!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
You don't love your spouse because they're perfect. You love them for who they are, and sometimes that means loving some things you don't actually like, because they wouldn't be the person you love without those qualities.

I can't help but think that most things one loves are the same. Perfection may be a nice goal, but it tends to leave one cold. We love each other because of our differences, because without them - the world would be an unnatural place. Think of it this way - maybe each one of us is actually the 'neighborhood character' in someone else's eyes!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
You don't love your spouse because they're perfect. You love them for who they are, and sometimes that means loving some things you don't actually like, because they wouldn't be the person you love without those qualities.

I can't help but think that most things one loves are the same. Perfection may be a nice goal, but it tends to leave one cold. We love each other because of our differences, because without them - the world would be an unnatural place. Think of it this way - maybe each one of us is actually the 'neighborhood character' in someone else's eyes!
That's very true. Thanks for posting it. When I think of "neighborhood character" I usually think of Leslie (shout out to any Austinites) and that guy who walks down E. Lake Sammamish PkWy around noontime wearing spring chick yellow clothing (pants, jacket, hat and gloves -all YELLOW).... I wonder if I'm the only one who's noticed him??? I don't mind characters at all .... that's kind of fun. I just feel like these two individuals are not very fun.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotis View Post
do u take happy pills. ?
who, me??? Um.... no... should I???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area