Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Unless you were black, Chinese, a native American, an immigrant, or a woman. Unless you were nearsighted, had a chronic disease, or liked laboring in a factory 12-hour days, six days a week. But for us white guys in the upper middle class, it was a great time to be alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Unless you were black, Chinese, a native American, an immigrant, or a woman. Unless you were nearsighted, had a chronic disease, or liked laboring in a factory 12-hour days, six days a week. But for us white guys in the upper middle class, it was a great time to be alive.
Another liberal come slummin' here at SS&P.

No need to explain about the blacks, women, and immigrants who prospered during this era....no, couldn't be.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Another liberal come slummin' here at SS&P.

No need to explain about the blacks, women, and immigrants who prospered during this era....no, couldn't be.
Actually, no. Sorry that you think anyone who disagrees with you to be a liberal commie. Your problem, not mine.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,071,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have a book originally published in the late eighteenth century about a ship's voyage to Nootka Sound which is off the coast of present day British Columbia. The book includes a list of the crew with names, ages, and heights. The average height of an adult male is about 5'5'' which isn't much above the average for women today. I'm sure that one of the reasons for the heights of the crew is the fact that little people could scurry up the rigging more easily than bigger people. However, nutrition plays a larger role in this. People were taller in 1880 and they're still taller today because they're eating better. Japanese today are larger than those born before the war for the same reason..

There's a rather amusing video that Jas. Townsend & Son did on Youtube about the use of cheap fillers used by bakers back in the really old days (18th century and earlier). Some of these fillers were actually toxic. It's true that there's nothing new under the sun. Aristophanes wrote about insurance fraud nearly twenty-four hundred years ago.
Yes, I think nutrition plays a larger role.

Some of the undisturbed orchards on old homesteads still have high concentrations of lead arsenate. They knew it was toxic.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, no. Sorry that you think anyone who disagrees with you to be a liberal commie. Your problem, not mine.
Are you sure it doesn't work that way? You were certain of it in the other thread where you stereotyped everyone as a member of the tinfoil hat brigade.

By the way, he didn't write "commie" but it's interesting that that is what you saw.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Modern decayed culture and modern technology are inexorably intertwined. My goal is to allow myself to live a pleasant and productive life eschewing as much of present day culture and technology as is practical. I've always done this to a great extent so I'm expecting a good measure of success.
I guess that 1880's Internet was much more advanced than I ever dreamed.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM

If people are discussing the difference between the size and weights of people today as opposed to the past I recommend viewing some 60's and early 70's movies.

Even the people they considered fat, like Ernest Borgnine, are not close to fat by today's standards.

This is not just the stars. Look at the people in the background and the outside shots.

Of course even the muscular people also were not as muscular as they are today as a general rule.

I know there will be exceptions but just look at some of these movies.

Bullitt and The Warriors are probably good looks.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Modern decayed culture and modern technology are inexorably intertwined. My goal is to allow myself to live a pleasant and productive life eschewing as much of present day culture and technology as is practical. I've always done this to a great extent so I'm expecting a good measure of success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I guess that 1880's Internet was much more advanced than I ever dreamed.
Reading comprehension problem or all-or-nothing thinking problem?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Reading comprehension problem or all-or-nothing thinking problem?

The Internet is not needed. It is wanted. It is a comfort. There are actually books available.

The Internet opens a can of worms that invalidates this entire premise from the power that is required to run the internet and PC's to the petroleum used in the plastics that make up a lot of the electronics.

He dislikes modern day culture but wraps himself in it.

Unless you are saying the Internet is NEEDED?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
stereotyped everyone as a member of the tinfoil hat brigade.
Ya should know that me tin foil hat is doing very very well at keeping the gov'ment from reading me mind. You got to keep those "commies" out....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness