Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 03:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
A lot of line hold ups are the store's fault. Cashiers who can't or won't ring in certain products. Stuff that scans in at the wrong price, but the cashier can't or won't take the customer's word for it. Bad swipe machines. Stupid loyalty programs that have people digging for their cards to get the advertised sales. Not enough cash registers open.

I hate long lines too and just shop when the store is dead.
Or no matter what, they are required to ring EACH piece of something.... I ran into this a Christmas at the Dollar Store. People were buying gift bags by the boat load. And the cashier was NOT PERMITTED to count the bags and enter into the register 35 x1.00, which wold have saved loads of time.... no -- they had to run each and every bag over the scanner and wait for the chime, so we were all held hostage by the slide *boop*, pick up, slide *boop* 35 times. Over and over and over.....with multitudes of people.

That's when I discovered that people have been trained out of annoyance of inefficient staffing, and ridiculous policies -- because almost every single person had their phones out and were texting and reading or sharing videos....or whatever one does with a smart phone.

I don't have a smart phone, so I got to be one of the annoyed. And I made a promise that I would never ever do this again.

It's rather the chicken/egg thing -- is the service bad at places because they know we are enamored of our technology and now they can get away with it because won't complain, or have we become enamored of our tech, because it's the only way we have to cope without going postal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:47 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Speaking of Walmart, I cannot stand how they now put razor blades in a security case that the cashier isn't allowed to open. They have to call a manager to open it. So you spend 20 mins in line and finally get rung up and everything loaded in the cart...then you can't leave until a manager comes over to open the case with the razors in it. In my case, it took another 5 mins. I have never bought razor blades in Walmart again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I have a feeling Walmart is by far not the only one doing it. Our local market - a NW chain - does the same thing. I found this out a few weeks ago and was surprised. I didn't even know stores were doing this.

But why would a cashier leave post to do this? Or are you referring to a floor clerk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Our grocery store HEB, doesn't lock up the razor. I hated when Wal-Mart started locking up their more expensive flea products like Frontline. They were cheaper there than at the vet, but what a hassle.

So I just order online now - free shipping and no tax.
You can thank rampant theft of these items. There are crews that wipe these things off the shelves and then sell them at flea markets or to small mom and pop stores that couldn't buy them if they had to pay the going rate.

A lot of the reason I shop online is I ran into a few years where I would buy something, get it home and what was in the box wasn't the product. I bought a brand new scale once, got it home and found out the person who bought it last thought it was a great idea to put the old scale in the box and take it back. Target never checked.

Cleaning supplies were returned at Home Depot, emptied of product and refilled with water. I would return them, too.

I went to buy new toilet seats -- almost ALL the boxes were opened... and I went somewhere else. Now, when I buy something at a store, I ask at the counter to open the package, if the package is openable. I do my best to buy things that are not openable -- glued shut. Taped shut, I pick boxes that look like they haven't been manhandled. If they look like they've been manhandled, that's when I demand to open the package to make sure what I am buying is what I'll be getting.

While this sounds just awful -- I hardly ever do this because I do most of my large shopping online. And I wouldn't do this wen the store is packed -- if the store is packed I'd corral a floor salesperson and make her help me. .

Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I have a feeling Walmart is by far not the only one doing it. Our local market - a NW chain - does the same thing. I found this out a few weeks ago and was surprised. I didn't even know stores were doing this.

But why would a cashier leave post to do this? Or are you referring to a floor clerk?
Oh I meant that the actual blades come in their own plastic case. You take the whole little case off the shelf and bring it to the register where someone unlocks it to take the blades out. I understand theft is the reason they do this, but why can't the cashier be given a key? Instead they have to call for a manager and the customer has to stand there like a fool for a few minutes until the manager comes to unlock it.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
I agree with th OP. I'll even bag my own groceries. Not only does it save time, it also saves me a lot of frustration. Sure, avocados, apples, and tomatoes are all fruit. However, they shouldn't be placed in the same bag!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM

194 posts, read 273,123 times
How about when there are two sides of self checkout lanes sharing the same lane and people stand in line in the middle to wait until a register is available? Ummm no, pick a side. You can't stand in line for both sides at one time. I pick a side and ignore them and then they get all mad thinking I cut in from of them. Duh! Middle isn't a choice!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
How about when there are two sides of self checkout lanes sharing the same lane and people stand in line in the middle to wait until a register is available? Ummm no, pick a side. You can't stand in line for both sides at one time. I pick a side and ignore them and then they get all mad thinking I cut in from of them. Duh! Middle isn't a choice!
Actually I've seen that method work really well here. We typically have 4 self checkouts and usually one line forms and it flows really well when everyone moves to the first available one. Probably depends on the layout of the store though. One major drugstore chain just adopted this for their checkout counter.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
The subject of this thread is "Customers Who Hold Up Lines Need To Go" but the real problem is when the person behind in line needs to go.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Actually I've seen that method work really well here. We typically have 4 self checkouts and usually one line forms and it flows really well when everyone moves to the first available one. Probably depends on the layout of the store though. One major drugstore chain just adopted this for their checkout counter.
I agree. That is how it works here... just like at the bank.
First available.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Yep, actually it's the most efficient way for everyone. Keeps the line moving.

I understand getting frustrated from time to time but some posters really need to chill. To get that wound up at anyone in your way at any time can't be good for you. You share a planet with lots of other people, get used to it. No doubt you are sometimes in someone else's way as well.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
The military commissaries do this and it works great! One line in a controlled looping line and the one in front goes to the next open register. They usually have a counter that will tell you which register is open.

Because even with this great system that has worked for years, there are people that want you to rush up to a register as soon as they see someone has all their groceries on the belt.

I had to tell one lady behind me that I wasn't going to rush up to a register that wasn't done with their order. I told her I didn't like people breathing down my neck when I was paying, so I give others the same respect. This isn't Walmart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products