Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:29 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,931,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Ae you there to shop or socialize?

I believe some people DO go to Walmart to socialize. I see them sitting in the front lobby talking to all sorts of people all the time. Small town and people know one another so it's not surprising. We have people who are there every single day and sometimes multiple times a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You've obviously never worked at Walmart, so listen to those of us who have.

When I hired on at Walmart as a young man, they paid me almost $1 an hour more than the mom & pop where I had previously worked, plus they had better insurance at a cheaper price, an employee discount on merchandise, and the company even paid a portion of the purchase price for those of us who participated in the stock purchase program. Also, my Dept Mgr was really easy to work for, and was very flexible and understanding when someone needed time off.

When business got slow we expected layoffs, but instead the company temporarily transferred us to other stores in the area so that we could continue working and earning money.

I stayed there for a year and a half until I became old enough to qualify for a CDL. Now I've been driving truck for 17 years, and Walmart is one of the most sought-after employers in the trucking industry. Unlike most trucking companies, Walmart doesn't have to advertise for hiring drivers; they have a steady stream of applicants who want to drive for them because of how well they treat their drivers. The stories I've heard from Walmart drivers parallel my experience as a store-level employee.

Do you ever wonder what people mean when they talk about how Walmart "treats their employees"? I do. I've asked different people what they mean and how does Walmart treat employees and not once have I got any kind of answer. Fact is they treat us pretty darn good.

I'm still waiting for our store to get "slow". Maybe for an hour or two, here and there, but "slow" to us is only two people in line instead of four. lol I told someone the other day that a "slow day" for a cashier is when we can take TWO deep breaths between customers instead of just one!

Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Walmart also pays university tuition. There was a young woman at our local store who started in high school part time. A while back she told me that she had just received her M.B.A. and was headed for Bentonville. All this was courtesy of those evil Waltons.

Ahhhh, one bennie I forget to mention! It certainly pays for those who wish to use it. We have quite a few young people taking advantage of that right now and a lot who've gone ahead.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,384,848 times
Personally, I only go to Walmart like ONCE a year.. Meanwhile since WE have "Price Matching" I can go to my usual shopping spot and get the SAME Price for same item there!! Why would I drive 12 miles out of my way to pick up one item??? NOT!!

I love the Price Matching thing .. It's been a 4+ years now, and has expanded since the beginning!! Weekly, I save a lot!! yet still get my (Loyalty) points going where they have just about everything!!!

Target didn't last long in Canada .. Walmart may find a similar experience ( tho has been up here for decades).. and THEY too Price Match as well! Our local Walmart's are huge it's difficult to navigate to find what I'm looking for!! Not as mobile for long periods of time at my age!!

So in SHORT~~ I wouldn't call myself a "WALMART" shopper much less waste time socializing (as OP Suggested) when I ever go there!!! But do interact with those fellow folks in line at Chashouts!!

Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,885,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Generally, they aren't too bad. The things I would avoid buying/getting there is meat, fish, electronics, car service, and tortillas.

meat, I agree
fish, I agree, but depending on where in the USA you live, Fish is only good at the coastal cities ...
electronics, depends on what kind. Nothing wrong with simple stuff, or ?
car service, I agree
and tortillas, why ??

Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM

15,491 posts, read 9,179,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Do you ever wonder what people mean when they talk about how Walmart "treats their employees"? I do. I've asked different people what they mean and how does Walmart treat employees and not once have I got any kind of answer. Fact is they treat us pretty darn good.

I'm still waiting for our store to get "slow". Maybe for an hour or two, here and there, but "slow" to us is only two people in line instead of four. lol I told someone the other day that a "slow day" for a cashier is when we can take TWO deep breaths between customers instead of just one!
If you think that people getting paid minimum wage with no chance to ever get a significant raise, and zero job security with a company that will fire long time employees at a whim is treating them well, then that is your opinion, not a fact.

Personally I don't shop at Walmart, because the employees I have seen are noticeably less happy than other retail employees. It's not a nice place to shop, and I don't think most people would think it's a good place to work.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM

7,674 posts, read 8,764,356 times
I guess the wealth of the owner of a company is about the last concern when a Walmart shopper decides where to shop.

Maybe we should just buy from the poor street vendors.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,266,211 times
Do I shop at Walmart?
A really surprising event today.
Just went there and everything in the refrigerated sections is being tossed due to a 6 hour power outage.
Seems a bit overboard to throw out things like carrots,cabbages, etc.
Can't believe that Walmart doesn't have generators especially here in 'thunderstorm country'!
Betcha this is going to cost as much or more than a generator.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,081,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do I shop at Walmart?
A really surprising event today.
Just went there and everything in the refrigerated sections is being tossed due to a 6 hour power outage.
Seems a bit overboard to throw out things like carrots,cabbages, etc.
Can't believe that Walmart doesn't have generators especially here in 'thunderstorm country'!
Betcha this is going to cost as much or more than a generator.
Several weeks ago our area had a major power outage that lasted for more than 48 hours in some areas. . . our Walmart stores NEVER lost power (used generators); yet one of the well known chain grocery stores lost their electricity and had to throw out all perishable items. . . .so I guess that means I should never shop at the store that had to dispose of spoiled foods?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,081,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you think that people getting paid minimum wage with no chance to ever get a significant raise, and zero job security with a company that will fire long time employees at a whim is treating them well, then that is your opinion, not a fact.

Personally I don't shop at Walmart, because the employees I have seen are noticeably less happy than other retail employees. It's not a nice place to shop, and I don't think most people would think it's a good place to work.
Um, have to wonder if it's the area you reside in that's the issue because of the many Walmart stores in our area we've never come across a Walmart employee that appears [I]noticeably less happy than other retail employees[/i]. We are always greeted friendly at the front of the store by an employee; employees throughout the store are friendly; and those at the check-out stands are also cordial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products