Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times

Advertisements

Or throwing things at workers simply because they can't break policy for you. In my tenure in retail, I saw sucky customers throw food items at my perfectly nice co-workers who didn't do a thing to deserve it. I always maintained the stance that "anything you throw at me, be prepared to have come right back at you". That's actually assault, and I would have called the police had it been me.

NJ, your post sounds as if you condone bad behavior in customers, simply because they are the customer. Did it ever occur to you that if customers behaved civilly to employees there wouldn't be threads like this (or sites) with multitudes of employees complaining about you guys. And we DO have a right to vent about our jobs just as you do. Doesn't mean we should all "just go out and get another job if you don't like it". Everybody has aspects of their job that they hate, and everybody should be allowed that safe place to vent. You never hear doctors, police etc being told that if they don't like this or that, that THEY should just quit and find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Obviously training isn't working.

Some customers are idiots and that's okay. But a CSR being an idiot is absolutely inexcusable irregardless of how the customer is behaving. While both can have bad days, only the customer can excess their freedom of behavior, while and employed individual (CSR, in this case) cannot.

There's a lot of management issues with all that above. For example, there's no set policy to handle the $100 bill issue when there clearly should be.

Your store should be called an inconvenient store. I've never heard of it being convenient for the customer to pull out the check and write it up before getting to the counter.
It is Never okay to be an idiot and take your frustration out on the CSR..and this behavior usually has NOTHING to do with the Customer Service they are recieving at the time..
I don't care how you try to rationalize it..it is never ok...it is never OK for the customer to "excess their freedom of behavior" whether it be to a CSR, your neighbor or the person walking too slowly across the intersection.

There is a set policy that handles the $100.00 dollar bill issue..read my post again...

Then you wouldn't mind standing behind someone while they filled out their information on a check like the date, and who the check is to and what it's for??? Most people think it's terribly inconvenient to wait because that info could have already been filled in, that way all they have to do is fill in the amount at the register. And some grocery stores have even had signs posted to please have your check filled out before coming to the register and at one point there were registers that did not accept checks at all for that very reason...that was when everyone wrote checks..today, not so much.

Where do you come off with this sense of entitlement that you can treat anyone any way you want?? Didn't your Mother teach you manners?? I can guarantee no CSR takes the job or goes to work with the mindset "of who can I mess with today..." I cannot say that about some customers. Your whole attitude blows me away...I am saddened and dismayed that people actually think it's ok to treat people poorly.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Sorry, but "freedom of behavior" does not include putting one's hands on a worker. If a customer got physical with me, I would have every right to defend myself.
I agree 100%. I didn't realize that is the kind of behavior we were discussing (nor do I feel it was implied it in the quoted post). I thought it was all verbal/attitude.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Or throwing things at workers simply because they can't break policy for you. In my tenure in retail, I saw sucky customers throw food items at my perfectly nice co-workers who didn't do a thing to deserve it. I always maintained the stance that "anything you throw at me, be prepared to have come right back at you". That's actually assault, and I would have called the police had it been me.

NJ, your post sounds as if you condone bad behavior in customers, simply because they are the customer. Did it ever occur to you that if customers behaved civilly to employees there wouldn't be threads like this (or sites) with multitudes of employees complaining about you guys. And we DO have a right to vent about our jobs just as you do. Doesn't mean we should all "just go out and get another job if you don't like it". Everybody has aspects of their job that they hate, and everybody should be allowed that safe place to vent. You never hear doctors, police etc being told that if they don't like this or that, that THEY should just quit and find another job.
I should clarify a little because I obviously was too ambiguous or didn't realize the type of behavior being discussed here.

I agree with you 100% that if a customer gets physical, throws items, threatens (in any manner) or makes you feel unsafe, THAT is a major problem.

But if a customer insists you run his/her credit card 3 times even though you and the rest of the world knows it won't work, or if the customer doesn't have their check written out, or if the customer suggests you check the back room, or just treats you like a machine that just transacts, it's not a big deal. I understand it might annoy you but that's life. Customers are clueless about how retail outlets work just like you and I are clueless about how a technician works.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
It is Never okay to be an idiot and take your frustration out on the CSR..and this behavior usually has NOTHING to do with the Customer Service they are recieving at the time..
I don't care how you try to rationalize it..it is never ok...it is never OK for the customer to "excess their freedom of behavior" whether it be to a CSR, your neighbor or the person walking too slowly across the intersection.
Okay, I'll commit that my explanation was poorly executed and thus misunderstood by you and others. I've addressed this in the post above to some extent.
Quote:

There is a set policy that handles the $100.00 dollar bill issue..read my post again...
"And I have to ask this..why do people think it's ok to break a $100.00 bill at a convience store?? If you are getting $50.00 of gas..yes. But a newspaper and a $100.00 bill... really??? AND you don't ask if we can break a $100.00 bill you just hand it to me..no warning. We don't carry that kind of money in our drawer and we are not allowed to decline a sale so I am put in a situation where I have break store policy or turn down a sale...and either one could mean my job."

The policy of not carrying $100 worth of change in the the drawer disables you from completing a sale. Additionally, you have a policy where you are not allowed to refuse a sale. So if you cannot complete it and you cannot refuse it, what action satisfies both policies? It appears that you don't have a policy to handle the situation.

Quote:

Then you wouldn't mind standing behind someone while they filled out their information on a check like the date, and who the check is to and what it's for??? Most people think it's terribly inconvenient to wait because that info could have already been filled in, that way all they have to do is fill in the amount at the register. And some grocery stores have even had signs posted to please have your check filled out before coming to the register and at one point there were registers that did not accept checks at all for that very reason...that was when everyone wrote checks..today, not so much.
Personally, I don't mind it as long as the person got in line before me. First come, first serve.

Honestly, I've never seen a sign like that, nor have I seen someone actually pay anything retail with a check (maybe it's not common in the North East, I dunno).

If there is a sign posted, then I think the customer should respect the sign and follow directions. But if there is no sign, I don't think it should be expected of customers.
Quote:

Where do you come off with this sense of entitlement that you can treat anyone any way you want?? Didn't your Mother teach you manners?? I can guarantee no CSR takes the job or goes to work with the mindset "of who can I mess with today..." I cannot say that about some customers. Your whole attitude blows me away...I am saddened and dismayed that people actually think it's ok to treat people poorly.
I tend to try treat everyone as a peer. This only changes when someone is incompetent (and I mean, really incompetent to actually get to me). I'm generally patient and never in hurry, so I typically just do everything leisurely. This includes both, when I pull my credit card out of my wallet at the register, and when I have to wait for the CSR to ask her manager how to manually transact a credit card when the machine is broken. I'm not so concerned with time when I'm out and about.

My point was not so much that customers should be Moderator cut: language deleted , it's more that CSRs should always treat their customers as they're employer would expect them to no matter what a jerk the customer is being (sans the unsafe, threatening activities I mentioned in the post above.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-29-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. I didn't realize that is the kind of behavior we were discussing (nor do I feel it was implied it in the quoted post). I thought it was all verbal/attitude.
Verbal abuse should not be acceptable either and it happens a lot. Nothing like being called incompetent or a stupid b**** because you won't break a company policy for a customer who thinks they are special and entitled to exceptions.
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
So funny to walk into a store where all the employees think theyre better than everyone else. Youre the one working at wal-mart, not me.
So many customers have this sort of attitude and sometimes it amazes me. Do they really think everyone in retail is a loser who can't do any better and therefore it's ok to treat them like dirt?
It never crosses their minds that all kinds of people work in retail for all kinds of reasons? Some day they might wind up wishing they hadn't been rude to the PT cashier who turns out to be their daughters teacher, or the bosses teenage kid working as a bagger to pick up some spare cash, or the EMT that responds to their accident that works PT as an overnight stock clerk. Right now we have a cashier working towards a license as a phlebotomist, woe to anyone in her future that has behaved like a jerk towards her. Karma baby!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
And I have to ask this..why do people think it's ok to break a $100.00 bill at a convience store?? If you are getting $50.00 of gas..yes. But a newspaper and a $100.00 bill... really??? AND you don't ask if we can break a $100.00 bill you just hand it to me..no warning. We don't carry that kind of money in our drawer and we are not allowed to decline a sale so I am put in a situation where I have break store policy or turn down a sale...and either one could mean my job. I have been trained on how to deal with a transaction like that with gas..but there is no time to re-coup for a newspaper or candy bar. One person could literally empty my drawer with a $100.00 bill. This makes it nearly impossible to do business afterward...I would rather decline one unreasonable sale and lose one customer so that I can make the next 5 after that and keep those 5 customers coming back. If you must use a high dollar bill at least Please at least say something..then please don't be upset if you have to wait for your $97.00 in change.

Like I said....I am trained on how to handle a $100.00 dollar bill.

I can't just go into the backroom "looking for something" because you don't believe me when I say I don't have it...that sets me up all kinds of thievery.... Because I am working by myself, that IS going above and beyond.
People that use convenience stores are there because it's just that...and they don't want to stand in a 4 deep line because someone doesn't have their check ready or can't manage their bank account.
I also take exception to the fact that you say you treat everyone like a peer yet you launched that diatribe about CSR's..and how they have don't a right to have a bad day..which is it? The fact that you don't remember those signs in grocery stores tells me just how young you are. But you did look awfully funny..I have't seen anyone back peddle that fast in a long time.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
or just treats you like a machine that just transacts, it's not a big deal. I understand it might annoy you but that's life. Customers are clueless about how retail outlets work just like you and I are clueless about how a technician works.

That's a dealbreaker for me. Sorry if you don't want to hear this NJ, and I do appreciate your trying to understand the CSRS side here..but the minute I am treated "like a machine that just transacts", I mentally, physically and spiritually vacate for the duration of that transaction. I mean, it's what the customer wants, right ? I'm not doing this on purpose, but because I realize the intent isn't a human and genuine one and I want the transcaction over as quickly as possible. Hopefully to get on with the next customer who IS a human being.

We aren't asking customers to be "how retail outlets work". We are merely asking for civilized interactions with our customers. Many of whom we actually enjoy serving.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That's a dealbreaker for me. Sorry if you don't want to hear this NJ, and I do appreciate your trying to understand the CSRS side here..but the minute I am treated "like a machine that just transacts", I mentally, physically and spiritually vacate for the duration of that transaction. I mean, it's what the customer wants, right ? I'm not doing this on purpose, but because I realize the intent isn't a human and genuine one and I want the transcaction over as quickly as possible. Hopefully to get on with the next customer who IS a human being.

We aren't asking customers to be "how retail outlets work". We are merely asking for civilized interactions with our customers. Many of whom we actually enjoy serving.
Based on the responses here, I'm clearly failing to understand the CSRs side. Might help if I had ever worked in retail... but I've only been a customer.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Based on the responses here, I'm clearly failing to understand the CSRs side. Might help if I had ever worked in retail... but I've only been a customer.
And the truth comes out...
on this thread maybe you should have just listened..
What we have been saying, how we feel about our jobs and our customers is very real. We are not allowed a voice at work for good reason...but the moment someone took the opportunity to say something the sh*t hit the fan and of course we were wrong..again. When you take away a persons voice or the ability to use it you demean that person and no one deserves that especially just because they work behind a counter.
I have to say that I admire you admitting that you have never worked Customer Service...you could have continued to hide behind your ill concieved notions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products