Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times

Advertisements

So funny to walk into a store where all the employees think theyre better than everyone else. Youre the one working at wal-mart, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
So funny to walk into a store where all the employees think theyre better than everyone else. Youre the one working at wal-mart, not me.
Maybe you need to strike that and reverse it, as most CSRs view (and rightly so) most customers as acting better then they are.

News for you: A persons worth as a human being has absolutely NOTHING to do with the amount of pieces of green printed paper he/she has been able to accumulate in his lifetime.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Maybe you need to strike that and reverse it, as most CSRs view (and rightly so) most customers as acting better then they are.

News for you: A persons worth as a human being has absolutely NOTHING to do with the amount of pieces of green printed paper he/she has been able to accumulate in his lifetime.
I disagree with the first sentence. The clerks are paid to wait on the customers. So even if they don't care for the customer feeling superior, they have been hired to play the part of someone with a subservient role. It's like being in a play, you play the part you're cast for. Honestly, some people just don't know their place.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I disagree with the first sentence. The clerks are paid to wait on the customers. So even if they don't care for the customer feeling superior, they have been hired to play the part of someone with a subservient role. It's like being in a play, you play the part you're cast for. Honestly, some people just don't know their place.
Wow, I've never seen it put better.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
WRONG. Csrs are paid to serve customers, they aren't paid to be treated as lowly servants. Your attitude is why sites like customerssuck.com exist.

And you may disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that most CSRs think customers act better then them.

Are you actually condoning the customers poor treatment of poor minimum wage workers as OK ? I hope not !

Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
WRONG. Csrs are paid to serve customers, they aren't paid to be treated as lowly servants. Your attitude is why sites like customerssuck.com exist.

And you may disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that most CSRs think customers act better then them.

Are you actually condoning the customers poor treatment of poor minimum wage workers as OK ? I hope not !
temazepam never really said to treat the CSRs poor. He was just pointing out that many CSRs forget where their place is; and that is to help customers in shopping, selecting, and transacting.... nothing less.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
temazepam never really said to treat the CSRs poor. He was just pointing out that many CSRs forget where their place is; and that is to help customers in shopping, selecting, and transacting.... nothing less.

Just by your language you are saying that CSR's are subservient to customers.. CSR's don't need to be reminded of "their place" they get that in training...if CSR's were treated with respect there would'nt be any surly behavior from CSR's... everyone has a bad day on both sides...but no where on the CSR's uniform is a target but alot of folks seem to think there is.
Where I work you cannot transact anything with customers off the clock that is a set in stone rule. Customers don't seem to understand this... and think I am making excuses by saying this so I get rude behavior as I am walking out the door.
I work in a convience store and often work by myself.. I can not leave my store and show you how to re-set your gas pump or pump your gas for you. I also can't let you leave your purchase front n center on the counter while you use the restroom... and if we are are out of your brand of what ever and I tell you that..it's the truth. We don't have a store room or an inventory hidden somewhere..what you see is what we have...so please, don't ask me to go look for whatever it is I told you we don't have. If you are going to write a check please have it ready when you get to the register...and your ID. Please don't get mad at me if your credit card or check is declined...I will run it one more time..then try it as credit..no more after that. Please don't just walk off and leave your stuff on the counter...then come back after you have called your bank and get upset because I put your stuff away. Please don't get upset because we have a $20.00 limit on cash back and really, please don't get upset if you try to circumvent the system and try to get what you want by making multiple purchases and the COMPUTER says no..after I did the same thing already.
And I have to ask this..why do people think it's ok to break a $100.00 bill at a convience store?? If you are getting $50.00 of gas..yes. But a newspaper and a $100.00 bill... really??? AND you don't ask if we can break a $100.00 bill you just hand it to me..no warning. We don't carry that kind of money in our drawer and we are not allowed to decline a sale so I am put in a situation where I have break store policy or turn down a sale...and either one could mean my job. I have been trained on how to deal with a transaction like that with gas..but there is no time to re-coup for a newspaper or candy bar. One person could literally empty my drawer with a $100.00 bill. This makes it nearly impossible to do business afterward...I would rather decline one unreasonable sale and lose one customer so that I can make the next 5 after that and keep those 5 customers coming back. If you must use a high dollar bill at least Please at least say something..then please don't be upset if you have to wait for your $97.00 in change.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Just by your language you are saying that CSR's are subservient to customers.. CSR's don't need to be reminded of "their place" they get that in training...if CSR's were treated with respect there would'nt be any surly behavior from CSR's... everyone has a bad day on both sides...but no where on the CSR's uniform is a target but alot of folks seem to think there is.
Obviously training isn't working.

Some customers are idiots and that's okay. But a CSR being an idiot is absolutely inexcusable irregardless of how the customer is behaving. While both can have bad days, only the customer can excess their freedom of behavior, while and employed individual (CSR, in this case) cannot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post

Where I work you cannot transact anything with customers off the clock that is a set in stone rule. Customers don't seem to understand this... and think I am making excuses by saying this so I get rude behavior as I am walking out the door.
I work in a convience store and often work by myself.. I can not leave my store and show you how to re-set your gas pump or pump your gas for you. I also can't let you leave your purchase front n center on the counter while you use the restroom... and if we are are out of your brand of what ever and I tell you that..it's the truth. We don't have a store room or an inventory hidden somewhere..what you see is what we have...so please, don't ask me to go look for whatever it is I told you we don't have. If you are going to write a check please have it ready when you get to the register...and your ID. Please don't get mad at me if your credit card or check is declined...I will run it one more time..then try it as credit..no more after that. Please don't just walk off and leave your stuff on the counter...then come back after you have called your bank and get upset because I put your stuff away. Please don't get upset because we have a $20.00 limit on cash back and really, please don't get upset if you try to circumvent the system and try to get what you want by making multiple purchases and the COMPUTER says no..after I did the same thing already.
And I have to ask this..why do people think it's ok to break a $100.00 bill at a convience store?? If you are getting $50.00 of gas..yes. But a newspaper and a $100.00 bill... really??? AND you don't ask if we can break a $100.00 bill you just hand it to me..no warning. We don't carry that kind of money in our drawer and we are not allowed to decline a sale so I am put in a situation where I have break store policy or turn down a sale...and either one could mean my job. I have been trained on how to deal with a transaction like that with gas..but there is no time to re-coup for a newspaper or candy bar. One person could literally empty my drawer with a $100.00 bill. This makes it nearly impossible to do business afterward...I would rather decline one unreasonable sale and lose one customer so that I can make the next 5 after that and keep those 5 customers coming back. If you must use a high dollar bill at least Please at least say something..then please don't be upset if you have to wait for your $97.00 in change.
There's a lot of management issues with all that above. For example, there's no set policy to handle the $100 bill issue when there clearly should be.

Your store should be called an inconvenient store. I've never heard of it being convenient for the customer to pull out the check and write it up before getting to the counter.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Here's what I expect from a clerk: do your job. Nothing less. I don't expect to have my butt kissed and I don't expect a clerk to act like a friggin' slave. If your job is to ring up my purchase, please do so. If your job is to clean, please do so. If your job is to re-stock shelves, please do so. Etc.

Here's what I provide as a customer: politeness, courtesy, and money to spend in your store so you can continue to have a job. I'm not an a-hole but it's your job to help me. Would it kill you to smile? Or say thank you?

I've worked retail myself. I am by default always polite and courteous to clerks and they have to push me REALLY hard for me to behave otherwise towards them.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Obviously training isn't working.

Some customers are idiots and that's okay. But a CSR being an idiot is absolutely inexcusable irregardless of how the customer is behaving. While both can have bad days, only the customer can excess their freedom of behavior, while and employed individual (CSR, in this case) cannot
Sorry, but "freedom of behavior" does not include putting one's hands on a worker. If a customer got physical with me, I would have every right to defend myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products