Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
ummm ever heard of employee theft?
Cleaning supplies? Really?...anyway, how are employees supposed to clean these "nasty" bathrooms if they can't get into the supply closet TO do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Cleaning supplies? Really?...anyway, how are employees supposed to clean these "nasty" bathrooms if they can't get into the supply closet TO do so?
I have known employees to steal the darnest thing from paper napkins to basic supplies to store merchandise.

Normally a company would have its own cleaning supplies somewhere if the ones in the closet are locked up all day till offical cleaning crews arrive. If there is a spill situation you just tell management.... let them deal with it. If you are an employee of a store/company with locked up cleaning supplies here is your chance to shine... suggest that they purchase a simple cleaning tray stocked with a roll of paper towels, spray etc. for the employees to use and keep that in a secure but accessible location.

for a short time ( about 2 years ) even my company had a sign in and out cleaning supply bucket keep behind the department office area. You wanted to clean up your area. for even a shorter time only the supervisor could sign it out. LOL That was a pain! Now each team has its own small supply caddy for our compter areas which make it easier... but we do have a 24/7 cleaning crew as well for the bigger problems.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Otherwise I will scan even slower (even if the coworker has helped me and gone away) just for spite.

I once interrupted a checker while she was scanning my items and talking to a coworker. She had double scanned the item. After I corrected her, she gave me a nasty look and started reading each label before scanning each item and smirking at me as she did it. I was pissed... but she was right... there was nothing I could do...

Except walk out with the other $200 worth of food on the conveyor and in the cart (about $400 + total) and explain to the manager on my way out why I was going to the grocery store across the street.

Ahhh... that was SWEET!
If you'll re-read my post, I said I was talking to a co-worker about something involving the order at hand, and that the customer snapped his fingers in my face and loudly said "HELLO!".

If Id rung something up double and he'd had a question, fine. I dont mind. But if you're one of those customers that's going to snap their fingers in my face and treat me like a servant because Im trying to get your order right, I dont care how much money you're spending-I truly dont want you at my register. There's always another customer to replace you.

And I doubt she got in too much trouble if she told the manager she was just trying to be careful since one of you items got double-scanned. You just made yourself look like an impatient jerk.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
I dont care how much money you're spending-I truly dont want you at my register.

And that's why some folks will always be employees and never the boss.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 AM

I like it when the customer goes up to the boss with the intention of throwing their weight around...and gets rebuffed there too. When you're WRONG, you're WRONG...no matter how high you want to go.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 AM

When employees are coming through with powered machinery, that beeping noise you hear means to get OUT OF THE WAY. We don't want to see you get hurt, but don't be oblivious to your surroundings. Please--for the love of God!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Whoa, where do you ever get this idea? I think some of you are taking this a little too far. It is still the responsibility of the cashiers and baggers to bag the groceries. (I don't believe any of your managers would tell you otherwise, would they?) If I feel up to bagging my own groceries I'll go through the U-scan. OTOH if I've had a long eight or ten hours on my feet at my own job, and I have to stop at the store afterwards, yes I'm going to a regular checkout lane and expect someone else to do the bagging. Unless you are working at a bag-your-own type of place then it is still an expected part of your job.
FWIW I have been in retail many years and my son is working at a grocery store to help pay for his schooling, so I completely understand a lot of the negative feelings, but get real!
I am an extremely courteous shopper. I put things back if I decide I don't want them, I take my cart back, I say please and thank you, my phone is on vibrate and I never talk on it in line.

However, one thing I won't do is bag my own groceries, unless it is at a store where you do that (Like Aldi, Save A Lot, etc). Why? Because I am paying those prices to have you do it. Sounds crazy, I know, but, I'm not a bagger. Never have been, never will be. I don't want to do it. I will, on occasion, help , if I am in a hurry. However, I really feel that people there are getting paid to provide that service, and I would like that done.

Sometimes, it is almost like they are giving you dirty looks because you aren't helping. Sorry, pal, but, that is your job. I don't run out when the garbage man comes and help him empty the cans. I dont go down to the mailbox in my Apt Community and help him sort the mail. The list goes on.

While I agree people should be courteous, but that is one thing I cannot agree on

Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 AM

^With the way they train them to bag these days? I'd push the bagger out of the way so that I could do it myself! One of the first jobs I ever had, and I can gladly say I'm still quick and efficient at it.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
You know, we can all get the treatment we deserve if we have the luxury of choice. I worked for Home Depot for awhile as a cashier, but did not enjoy being the most lowly employee and the lowest paid employee, but the employee who gets the most flak from the customers for things totally out of my control. I also didn't enjoy being constantly scutinized by some 20 year old security employee, as well as constantly being watched by the ceiling security system, as if the company was expecting me to steal. I decided it wasn't for me.
By the same token, I do not shop at places like Walmart or any grocery store where they have no customer service, or have sensors as you walk in the door. to me, they say come on in and spend your money, thief.
I am an great, considerate customer, and I shop at places which seem to appreciate my business.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I am an extremely courteous shopper. I put things back if I decide I don't want them, I take my cart back, I say please and thank you, my phone is on vibrate and I never talk on it in line.

However, one thing I won't do is bag my own groceries, unless it is at a store where you do that (Like Aldi, Save A Lot, etc). Why? Because I am paying those prices to have you do it. Sounds crazy, I know, but, I'm not a bagger. Never have been, never will be. I don't want to do it. I will, on occasion, help , if I am in a hurry. However, I really feel that people there are getting paid to provide that service, and I would like that done.

Sometimes, it is almost like they are giving you dirty looks because you aren't helping. Sorry, pal, but, that is your job. I don't run out when the garbage man comes and help him empty the cans. I dont go down to the mailbox in my Apt Community and help him sort the mail. The list goes on.

While I agree people should be courteous, but that is one thing I cannot agree on
I personally have no problem with bagging my own, especially if the line is full. Both the cashier and customers behind me appreciate it. One of my first jobs was bagging, so it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products