Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post

You can always tell what type of service to expect by looking at how the cashier area is set up. Learned that years ago. If they face out toward thier door then they want you to come and have a fast easy get away. If they are in the back of the store they want to walk all through the store and possibly see other items on the way out for impulse buys.

Just think about where you are shopping and how the registers are set up. You might start to think about how that company REALLY sees its customers.
I have to disagree...you don't need any merchandise between the register and the door. Too easy for a grab and run that way. The thing that peeves me about Wal-Marts is they have...what, 24 registers? And at peak, they'll only have about half those registers open! I want to get my stuff and go, not stand in line for half an hour...or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have to disagree...you don't need any merchandise between the register and the door. Too easy for a grab and run that way. The thing that peeves me about Wal-Marts is they have...what, 24 registers? And at peak, they'll only have about half those registers open! I want to get my stuff and go, not stand in line for half an hour...or more.
I was refering to most of the Mall stores with the cashier in the back of the store and the long walk down, they would normally hire one rep to stay at the front cleaning straightening and greeting to deter theft.

Same concept is having the Clearence items in the back to draw the customers to the back of the store they have to walk through all the new stuff first. Lots of stores use various retail tricks to get a customer into the store and keep them there and once customer makes the purchase out they go.

stores with the cattle shoot registers... they will never have all registers open. During the Holiday/Christmas season they will get more folks to ring up customers, but it is all a cash flow play with the numbers situation.

Every business has a cost of doing business ratio. I am not talking about basic business costs but more of the in-take verse the cost of loss. best easier example would be if you call in to a tele-sales company like HSN, ShopNBC, ValueVision ( if it still operates ), or even an infomercial.

They have a an hour of products on air. They have an idea as to how well each product will sell within that hour due to previous sales. They look at staffing. How many reps we have to answer phone line. they look at all the percentages. and make a choice of whether they need 500 people taking calls for that hour or not. They even take into consideration dropped/lost calls. Every business has a % of customers who call or walk in but do not buy anything.

Now to continue, if they decide that they have too many reps on the phones to handle the call load they might offer some time off or not schedule extra reps. A big ticket item will not need 500 reps on the phone but product like a special oven cleaner will need 1000 reps. So they might ask for more reps to work that hour or so.

Stores work on the same concept except thiers is a game with certain days, sales offered, time of the year, and % of walk-in walk-out customers. They want to keep there cost of paying a store clerk down while cost of product purchases up in comparison. it is a horrible teeter-totter dance that doesnt' always work... cause you have to always factor in sick calls, no shows and skill of employees.

I can understand being aggrivated with all those check out and no one to man them. But most no frill shopping stores think it is ok for you to stand in a queue for a short while ( once again the % of time play here ). Your waiting in a queue is all a numbers scenerio when you boil it all down.

If they get the numbers and math right everyone is happy! They make money and you get the convience you deserve. If they get it wrong, you might have to wait longer or they might loose money with having too many reps working without enough cash flow coming in. In both scenerios the business loses money except if they get it right.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I worked at the service desk and as a cashier for six years. The one thing that bothered me the most was this, and it happened several times. It would be a 90 degree day and usually a big sweating woman would be in my line and pay me with a wad of bills that she would pull out of her bra. Nice and sweaty money.
I personally don't think that having to expose myself to someone elses body fluids is a part of the job.
Not to mention peoiple that cough and sneeze right in your face. That happened numerous times.When I was behind the service desk, I did not care,as soon as they walked away, I grabbed the can of Lysol and gave the area a spray, and hoped they saw me do it.

After news reports of Swine Flu, they gave us Germ-X at every register.
I try to use it a lot.
I've had women pay me with money out their bras...yuck. It was disgusting.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM

426 posts, read 1,283,018 times
Default Please Don't

Purple Love,thanks for agreeing. I find it hard to believe that people that do that could be so dense.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I thnik that we all ahve seen customers and clerks that behaved badly.It does excuse either really.The rest of us have to pay for eaxch of them like the one that checkout the snapping cutomer thus delaying the customer behind;really smart.I am sure he/she will be a checker for his/her lifetime and miserable.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
After news reports of Swine Flu, they gave us Germ-X at every register.
I try to use it a lot.
I've had women pay me with money out their bras...yuck. It was disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Purple Love,thanks for agreeing. I find it hard to believe that people that do that could be so dense.
the only time I have ever used the "club" pocket for my money was when I did go to clubs to hangout when I was younger. But I will say a modified my bra to hold money so it would not get wet.

One of the dirtiest/germiest items we handle on a daily basis in life no matter your job will be money. Coins and bills.

So I don't see why the big the big hoopla with bags on the floor etc. Most people just go into a store grab a cart and head out shopping. They pick up items that have been in a warehouse, picked up by others, place said item into cart where most likely some bratty kid had been placed into and carted around before they came in and picked that cart. Then after all that they go through a lane with others who have done the same thing.

I can understand being upset with coughing in the face, that is a bit too nasty. I would have just back way up each time they coughed in my direction or handed them a box of tissues. Or asked them to cough a different direction. then again being who I am I tend to be a bit too direct.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
the only time I have ever used the "club" pocket for my money was when I did go to clubs to hangout when I was younger. But I will say a modified my bra to hold money so it would not get wet.

One of the dirtiest/germiest items we handle on a daily basis in life no matter your job will be money. Coins and bills.

So I don't see why the big the big hoopla with bags on the floor etc. Most people just go into a store grab a cart and head out shopping. They pick up items that have been in a warehouse, picked up by others, place said item into cart where most likely some bratty kid had been placed into and carted around before they came in and picked that cart. Then after all that they go through a lane with others who have done the same thing.

I can understand being upset with coughing in the face, that is a bit too nasty. I would have just back way up each time they coughed in my direction or handed them a box of tissues. Or asked them to cough a different direction. then again being who I am I tend to be a bit too direct.
I'd probably lose my job if I asked someone to cough in another direction.
Some customer would make a stink...get a manger...you know the rest.

I agree with the part in bold.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'd probably lose my job if I asked someone to cough in another direction.
Some customer would make a stink...get a manger...you know the rest.

I agree with the part in bold.
that is why I don't work face to face retail anymore. I tend to be really direct at times. Heck I have friends who have known me for years and they still have a problem with it. Funny thing... I have gotten better over the years.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I wish the clerks would do the same instead of sneezing all over. Then they start bagging your groceries.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM

621 posts, read 3,206,874 times
I haven't read through all of these so if I repeat..I'm sorry: I was a server/waitress for many, many years and have so many pet peeves I can't list them all here:

-Please don't come in 5-10 min before we close. If you do, don't camp. I want to go home too, not wait for you all to stare into each others eyes. We would close at 11, have people walk in at 10:55 and wouldn't leave until 12:30 or later.
-If you order something and don't like it, say so right away. Don't eat all of it except one bite and THEN say you don't like it. So many people want a free meal.
-Please tip appropriately and know what an appropriate tip is. Here in VA a servers salary is $2.13/hr + tips. So we truly live off our tips.
-And please, please when I ask if you are ready to order and you say yes, be ready to order. Don't continue to stare at the menu and keep me standing there when you are truly not ready to order. If you need a few more mins please let me know, because I probably have a lot of other things to do, not stand there and wait for you to decide on what you want.
I could go on and on, but these are the big ones for me. I no longer wait tables as I got burned out and don't have the patience for rude people anymore. I truly believe everyone should work some sort of retail for atleast a month and they would probably be a lot nicer when they went out in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products