Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps the pizza shop should close 20 minutes earlier.

If a shop it open, it's open. Period. Its workers should be available to serve customers. If I walk in at 10:55 and the shop closes at 11, I would expect to be served. Otherwise, my business will go elsewhere.

How is it the customers' job to protect you from other customers? If you do your job well, the line will flow smoothly. If not ... oh, well. Deal with the fallout.
I never said its the customers job to protect me from other customers. Don't get pissed off than when you get bad service. Btw, our IPms were 30 IPM. You guys come in expecting good customer service but don't feel the need to come in and atleast be helpful. I guess you don't mind standing in long lines for up to a hour???

You customers take advantage of us and try to make it seem like were always wrong. Is it too hard to help bag. If you come in 5 minutes before we close, than you deserve to get bad service. Everyone whose worked in retail know a place starts cleaning up about 20-30 minutes before closing time. I'm not going to sit here and act like jsut because your a customer you shouldn't have to be nice,lazy,and disrespectful.

Customers like you derserve bad service because you give people like us nothing but headaches and bad work days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
oh my old job had ISPMs too (I believe we were expected to do about 17-19 IPM minimum and your totals were reviewed biweekly), but our bosses stressed continusouly that ISPM was no excuse to damage produce. I saw a lot of cashiers literally hurl items down the other side so hard they would bash against the far side and get damaged. at my job, you got into far more trouble for damaging a customer's food than for going below the average ISPM. no customer wants their $10 worth of heirloom tomatoes squashed by a hurried cashier (this happened so often in my store, our sups had to pull us aside one by one and tell us to be careful w/ our scanning and it wasn't unusual for one of them to step up behind you as you scan and forcibly slow you down by grabbing your hand!). and as a customer, if I see you tossing my stuff down the belt haphazardly, I will ask you to slow down, ISPM be damned, or I simply won't pay for the damaged goods and ask for it to be exchanged. as a cashier, you have to know how to be fast w/o damaging the produce. honestly, it seemed to me from your post that you were letting the bread and eggs get crushed just to prove a point

most of the time when I go shopping, I bag my own groceries, sometimes even send the bagger away, b/c of all the instances where my stuff was bagged wrongly (see the above post you quoted. I've had baggers bag MEAT and CLEANING PRODUCTS w/ my PRODUCE!), but there are days when I just don't feel like bagging, either b/c I'm tired or my hands or full or I'm otherwise preoccupied. I've worked in supermarkets on and off for 8+ years, have been a cashier, bagger, and floor sup, and trust me, I go out of my way to show respect to those in the field and don't take advantage of anything. but don't dare call me lazy for not doing something you should be doing! honestly, if this is such an issue at your store, I'd talk to a sup about why you aren't meeting your ISPM goals rather than taking it out on a customer by purposely letting their food get damaged. I have a job too, spend almost 9 hours on my feet dealing w/ my own brand of customers, I don't want to go to a supermarket an come upon a surly cashier who expects me to do their job as well (if I wanted to bag my own junk, I'd just use the self scanners. nowadays, i find myself using these more since I've become disgruntled about the quality of customer service at my local supermarket, and frankly, it's not rare that I know the produce codes better than the cashier!).

trust me, I've done my fair share of complaining about customers, even right here in this thread. and while it would be great if customers unloaded their baskets (my major cashier pet peeve as stated in this thread, moreso than customers who don't say hi) and bagged their groceries, I just can't let these pet peeves influence my customer service. I don't demand customers unload their baskets or yell at them for leaving a half gal of ice cream out on the shelves, or allow their food to become damaged just to meet my goal. really, the latter is my major gripe, since it did come across you were letting food get damaged just to force a customer to bag their foods
I don't damage peoples food but I also don't like being yelled at by the customers behind the one I'm dealing with. I'm not asking anyone to do my job,but if you see a long ass line behind you and there is no bagger. You could atleast put the bags in the basket while I bag (It's actually not my job to bag,but to be a cashier). I'm sorry you had a long day at wokr and your tired,but you always have th eoption to shop another day. Sometimes I'm even forced to turn off my register, make the other customers go away just to do a carry-out for anoying customers who just can't wait like everyone else til a bagger comes.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Another DO:

If you happen to see a male customer edging in/making a female employee uncomfortable, PLEASE, please please say/do something to "rescue" us. Alot of the time if we say something to make these people back off, WE'RE the ones that get into trouble ( possibly fired).

I was standing in front of a register once bagging, and this old man was invading my "personal bubble". He was les than 6 inches away from me and leaning in closer.<=-S
He had me cornered against the register and my bagging station, so I couldnt move. My customer (the one I was bagging for) was just opening her mouth to say something when someone ( my mother, surprisingly) came up and rescued me.
So...pretty please...if you see something like this help the bagger/cashier.<:-)

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
Yeah, John Q. Public can be an idiot, but that's why they have to PAY someone to do it. That's why it's called a job and not 'happy fun time'.

Sigh....Unfortunately.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM

93 posts, read 287,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
DON'T EVER EVER EVER:
-go to a pizza & hoagie shop less than 20 minutes before its closed! They are trying to get everything cleaned up, and everything is probably off, and they don't want to have to turn it back on just to make you food.

Having worked these things before, I know that you guys clean up early, so you can go home early. BUT here's the thing... if I OWNED the place, and found out you guys were cleaning up early, possibly being rude to folks who came in within the last half hour of closing, I would sack each and every one of you.

If your boss (not the teenage manager) wanted you guys to clean up that early, he'd close earlier.

From a different angle - you are most likely an hourly employee. If you clean up early and leave at 10:05pm exactly (for example), then you are cheating yourself out of 20 minutes of pay.
Well, we aren't EVER rude to customers that come in late. Well, at least I'm not. I could never do that, I'd feel horrible. And, we don't clean up early so we can leave early, we just clean up early so that by the time we're closed, everything is done and we can leave on time. I do get paid hourly, and if we stay after when we are supposed to be there to get things finished, our boss (the actual owner) won't pay us for that time. He expects everything to be done by closing time, and we leave then, or we put in some mandatory (unpaid) overtime. haha I understand the "If the sign says OPEN, you should serve us" mentality, so I always thought that our boss should have us stay an extra hour after closing to get everything cleaned up then, but usually nobody comes in later, so you have time to get stuff done, so he likes to save every little bit of money he has. haha I would too!
After working there for over 2 years, I always feel bad about going to other food places late, so I usually don't go, or if I do go, I make sure I leave a very generous tip so I don't feel as bad.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM

93 posts, read 287,936 times
Quote:
regarding the whole pizza/sub place closing time thing, yeah, from what I've been told, the ovens, grills, and fryers all get turned off earlier than the stated closing time and these people are not going to turn them back on 20 minutes before closing (think about how long it takes your oven to preheat, or how long it takes a at home fryer to heat up). but many of the places I've been to were happy to make you a cold cut or tuna salad sandwich close to closing time (just not too close). frankly, I see this issue as no different than laundromats that have a stated closing time of say, 11pm, but request last washes be started no later than 10pm. a lot of stores won't even allow new customers to come in when it gets close to closing time and only remain open to allow the customers already inside to finish their purchases. just b/c a place is physically open doesn't mean you can expect 100% of the services to be provided to you 20 minutes of less before closing.
YEAH!! You know what I'm talking about! haha If we close at 10, and you come in at 9:50 and you wanted an Italian hoagie, I would be more than happy to make it for you! But, on the other hand if you wanted a HOT cheesesteak, I couldn't b/c the grill is ice cold by then, and it is already cleaned for the next day. I really don't mind making cold stuff or stuff in the fryer actually, b/c we keep our fryers on til there's 5 minutes left. I usually enjoy my job, and am very polite to all the customers, but some days... haha I'll tell you what. There are just those certain customers that'll just make you want to slit your wrists (not literally...ouch!), but yeah, what can you do? I'm glad somebody understands what I was trying to say though.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said its the customers job to protect me from other customers. Don't get pissed off than when you get bad service. Btw, our IPms were 30 IPM. You guys come in expecting good customer service but don't feel the need to come in and atleast be helpful. I guess you don't mind standing in long lines for up to a hour???

You customers take advantage of us and try to make it seem like were always wrong. Is it too hard to help bag. If you come in 5 minutes before we close, than you deserve to get bad service. Everyone whose worked in retail know a place starts cleaning up about 20-30 minutes before closing time. I'm not going to sit here and act like jsut because your a customer you shouldn't have to be nice,lazy,and disrespectful.

Customers like you derserve bad service because you give people like us nothing but headaches and bad work days.

yeah, what store do you work at so I can AVOID it? an IPM of 30 is RIDICULOUS!! they are giving you 2 SECONDS to ring up each item? it took our scales more than 2 seconds just for the scales to properly register the produce weight (and no, they weren't old, they were brand spanking new when the store opened. I don't think scales exist that can correctly calculate weight that quickly)! even if you know every single PLU code by heart (possible if you're store doesn't carry a wide, ever changing variety of produce), it still takes time to input that code and wait for it to weigh in. I don't know what city or state your in, but if that is truly your IPM, I will gladly email your main store and ask them to lower this. an IPM that high is just begging for cashiers to be reckless w/ customers' foods. seriously, I would rather have a nice, slightly slower cashier than a rude one tossing my food down the belt. and I have to question a store that would allow a cashier w/ a full line to close just so she can do a carry out (as a sup, unless the store was incredibly busy, I would do the carry out myself. and our store did a lot of carry outs due to the high number of elderly and disabled shoppers we got). you guys have got to get your priorities straight if you think a carry out is more important than a line full of angry customers.

honey, no one deserves bad service, not even the worst, most annoying customer. I've had customers ignore me, be rude to me, call me dumb and lazy, threaten me, thrown items at me, call me all sorts of racist terms, and I still gave them the best service possible (granted, in extreme cases, they were just thrown out the store). you may seriously want to consider another line of work if you carry so much anger towards your customer. as a former supervisor, your attitude would be grounds to get fired at my old job, especially if you were letting produce get damaged. even your attitude on this thread makes me want to avoid whatever store you work in.

again, let me reiterate: NO CUSTOMER, NO MATTER HOW SNOTTY, AGGRAVATING, AND IRRATATING THEY MAY BE, DESERVES BAD SERVICE!! you work in customer service and are expected to provide adequate customer service regardless of your attitude, your customer's attitude, or your customer's unwillingness to help you do your job. sadly, it's cashiers like you that make others, including me, wonder what has happened to customer service.

seriously, consider another line of work, perhaps one that doesn't involve customer service

Last edited by eevee; 09-09-2008 at 12:10 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
honey, no one deserves bad service, not even the worst, most annoying customer. I've had customers ignore me, be rude to me, call me dumb and lazy, threaten me, thrown items at me, call me all sorts of racist terms, and I still gave them the best service possible (granted, in extreme cases, they were just thrown out the store). you may seriously want to consider another line of work if you carry so much anger towards your customer. as a former supervisor, your attitude would be grounds to get fired at my old job, especially if you were letting produce get damaged. even your attitude on this thread makes me want to avoid whatever store you work in.

again, let me reiterate: NO CUSTOMER, NO MATTER HOW SNOTTY, AGGRAVATING, AND IRRATATING THEY MAY BE, DESERVES BAD SERVICE!! you work in customer service and are expected to provide adequate customer service regardless of your attitude, your customer's attitude, or your customer's unwillingness to help you do your job. sadly, it's cashiers like you that make others, including me, wonder what has happened to customer service.

seriously, consider another line of work, perhaps one that doesn't involve customer service
Nope...Customers such as the ones you described just deserve imaginary watermelons thrown at their heads, and the silent hope that they do something stupid while going home, crush their own eggs, and have yellow goo all over their apoholstery. Aaah, lovely thoughts....

You can do your job when these things happen, but that doesnt stop you from hoping Karma bites these rude/crazy/mean people...hard.
As long as you keep quiet about it, you get to keep your job. That seems to be the bottom line.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said its the customers job to protect me from other customers.
Oh, but you did, and I quote: "when really I'm just saying it would be nice to help to keep the line flowing smoothly and prevent me for dealing with the angry customers behind you."

Again, I ask: Why is it my responsibility to see that your line flows smoothly?? Why should I shield you from the angry customers behind me? Prompt customer service is your job, not the customers'.

I would suggest that you find a new job that requires little or no customer contact if you really hate people as much as you seem to.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, but you did, and I quote: "when really I'm just saying it would be nice to help to keep the line flowing smoothly and prevent me for dealing with the angry customers behind you."

Again, I ask: Why is it my responsibility to see that your line flows smoothly?? Why should I shield you from the angry customers behind me? Prompt customer service is your job, not the customers'.

I would suggest that you find a new job that requires little or no customer contact if you really hate people as much as you seem to.
Than why should I give a damn about what you have do?? What if your in a rush and I'm taking my precious time to ring up your items?? What if its first of the month and theres like 5 people in front of you with full carts and none of them atempt to help bag??? Without us workers you wouldn't even have groceries just like without customers we wouldn't have jobs. Since you basically don't give a damn about the crap I put up with than why should I even bother to be nice to you when you come in???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products