Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
And the truth comes out...
on this thread maybe you should have just listened..
What we have been saying, how we feel about our jobs and our customers is very real. We are not allowed a voice at work for good reason...but the moment someone took the opportunity to say something the sh*t hit the fan and of course we were wrong..again. When you take away a persons voice or the ability to use it you demean that person and no one deserves that especially just because they work behind a counter.
I have to say that I admire you admitting that you have never worked Customer Service...you could have continued to hide behind your ill concieved notions.
Just because I admit that I've never worked it doesn't meant that we've come to an agreement. I still disagree with significant portions of your original post. I have just come to accept that we disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times
I'll tell you one thing, don't bring a screaming kid in the store and do nothing about it!! If your kid starts screaming, please do something about it instead of subjecting the other customers and the store clerks to listening to shrieking! Please!!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 11,978 times
Thanks to share these information. I will definitely follow these Do's and Don'ts.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
So many customers have this sort of attitude and sometimes it amazes me. Do they really think everyone in retail is a loser who can't do any better and therefore it's ok to treat them like dirt?
It never crosses their minds that all kinds of people work in retail for all kinds of reasons? Some day they might wind up wishing they hadn't been rude to the PT cashier who turns out to be their daughters teacher, or the bosses teenage kid working as a bagger to pick up some spare cash, or the EMT that responds to their accident that works PT as an overnight stock clerk. Right now we have a cashier working towards a license as a phlebotomist, woe to anyone in her future that has behaved like a jerk towards her. Karma baby!

This is so true and a wonderful book was written by an undercover reporter about this : NICKELED & DIMED in AMERICA. It is heartbreaking the way some workers are treated by "up-standing" citizens.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,265 times
I was a cashier at walmart some time ago, and I was really friendly chatting up people while checking out their items. I was really fast so by the time I got their stuff in the sack and in their carts they are always surprised they were done and ready to leave. I always say thank you because they shopped at the store and laid out some big bucks.

On the other side of a customer I am always floored when the cashier does not say how are you doing today, and does not even look at you. One silent time. Not only that the cashiers are like pond water..slow. When I say thank you to the cashier, I get back your welcome or no problem. I find that extremely rude. Hello, I just paid out some big bucks and have had to walk around the store being subjected to rude people, and what really irks me, the store has something you need at one part of the store but you always need something else to go with it so off to walk clear at the opposite side of the store.
Example. I see fresh strawberries, I want them but you need the cakes and whipped cream to go with it. The cakes are near the strawberries but the canned whipped cream is all the way back of the store near the milk. I don't understand why stores do not pair up seasonal items. I know they have wheeled out refrigerators so why not put a wheeled refrigerator near the strawberries.

Sometimes if I see something randomly and want it but the paired thing to go with it is at the opposite side of the store, I just leave it. After all I have been walking around the store aisle to aisle looking for one particular item.

I know I have gotten off the beaten path of rude cashier but I guess the rudeness comes from the store itself.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,265 times
Another issue that irks me from rude people is that when I am in the store looking at something that is on shelf, people walk right in front of me and do not say excuse me. I was always taught that when you walk in front of people while they are looking at something or talking to a group and have to get by them, you always say excuse me.

Why is it when you turn around the corner in the store and another cart is turning into the aisle I always say excuse me and smile. Some people do not say anything and some say no problem, like they have the right of way and I inconvenienced them. It really bothers me when people have such a lack of common courtesy.

It is rude for people to be blaring their music in parking lots and on the road. They are only thinking about themselves. I always think how elderly people absorbed that. They have lived a life time and some punk kid subjects their thing on others. No respect at all.

If you see people who are having a hard time reaching for an item at the store like elderly people or handicap people, how hard it is to help that person.

I am always cognizant of people around me. If my cart is in the way I move it right away. If I see people that need help either in the store or struggling to life things up in the car, I help. How hard is it to help someone else?

I see parents let their children run through the store creating chaos. Elderly people do not have the capacity to react fast to get away from unruly children, and not to mention the loud screaming and yelling in the store. I saw a lady the other day at walmart with three kids, and the kids ages ranged from 5 years to 12 years old were running around, jumping on cereal bins that the cereal had been piled up in a box in the center of an aisle. The kids were yelling and running. I looked at the mom and she was totally clueless. I can only imagine what the teachers go through with children that have never been taught self control.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Why are you standing so far back "looking at something" that people have room to walk in front of you? I can't tell you how annoyed I am by people "looking" at something from 3 ft. back, thus blocking the aisle (not saying this is necessarily you).

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
That's exactly how I browse at a newsstand, so if someone wants to swoop in and pick up a magazine they can.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
It drives me crazy when people shopping in a large group stand in the middle of the aisle completely oblivious to the people trying to shop around them. Or parents who don't keep their children under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products