Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times

Advertisements

Haley defended the flag and its presence on the state Capitol grounds.

"Republican Gov. Nikki Haley defended the Confederate flag’s presence on South Carolina’s statehouse grounds, declaring in a debate Tuesday that the flag isn’t an issue because “not a single CEO” has complained about it."

I guess CEOs are more important than the citizens, however, the CEO of the NCAA has banned us from hosting any post season NCAA games, at a cost of millions of dollars and yes jobs.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
Trending on Twiiter. 120K tweets so far with the word confederate. Plenty of pictures of the state house and the flag flying. Most people that dont live here and do are commenting on how horrible and hypocritical a state we are. Its a worldwide trend.

This one flag has casted us in a negative light with the other 48 (Mississippi still has theres) and overseas. Its a big deal on the 24 hour news channels, and major publications too. With Walter Scott, this massacre, and this flag, we're getting alot of negative press.

Take it down and leave it down. Show people weve Progressed. Somewhat.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:35 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
It never should have been up there in the first place. The flag was put on top of the State House during the civil rights era in the 1960's and then was moved to the front of the grounds about 15 years ago. I repeat, it never should have been there in the first place. We don't fly the British flag at our government buildings so we shouldn't fly the Confederate Flag, either. It is divisive, used by hate groups and is offensive to many South Carolinians. The Legislature and the Governor need to show some leadership and remove it immediately. It can go in a museum.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM

52 posts, read 67,658 times
This is really disappointing. I mentioned in another thread that my in-laws were just visiting this past weekend. We sat down with them to talk about our plans in moving to the area. Of course a shooting like this can happen anywhere, but it's happened in this region of the country. Family now are worried about us moving to the area and if I'm honest, I'm having second thoughts about it as well, even if everything else seems like it's a good fit. I know I don't live there, but as someone who is very much considering it, South Carolina's reaction is definitely what I'm looking at right now. Like it or not, a symbol like the confederate flag does carry with it certain connotations whether they're all legitimate or not. Why they wouldn't want to distance themselves from something that, to most, symbolizes some of the darkest times in our country's history is unfathomable. You can't move forward when you're still that engrossed in the past.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
Hopefully they pass legislation and take it down.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 06-18-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
Maybe we should remove all confederate memorials too.

Like it or not, this country was created by rebels. A group of patriots started a revolution against an oppressive state. The confederacy is the same thing. The Union was infringing upon individual states rights.so a revolution wa born. However, the confederacy lost. Doesn't diminish the the fact that people stood up for what they thought were their rights. Those people should still be honored in history by flying their flag at a memorial in their honor.

I agree that The flag doesn't belong alone anywhere and especially on top of any state government building. It was rightly removed from the statehouse dome. And placed where it belongs at the memorial to the fallen confederate dead. If you feel the it's position is too prominent at the end of Main St. in front of the Statehouse, then start a petition to move the monument to a place of less prominence somewhere else on the grounds. But it definitely belongs somewhere on the Statehouse grounds.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It never should have been up there in the first place. The flag was put on top of the State House during the civil rights era in the 1960's and then was moved to the front of the grounds about 15 years ago. I repeat, it never should have been there in the first place. We don't fly the British flag at our government buildings so we shouldn't fly the Confederate Flag, either. It is divisive, used by hate groups and is offensive to many South Carolinians. The Legislature and the Governor need to show some leadership and remove it immediately. It can go in a museum.
The American Flag is also used by hate groups. Should we ban it too?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM

293 posts, read 826,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Maybe we should remove all confederate memorials too.

Like it or not, this country was created by rebels. A group of patriots started a revolution against an oppressive state. The confederacy is the same thing. The Union was infringing upon individual states rights.so a revolution wa born. However, the confederacy lost. Doesn't diminish the the fact that people stood up for what they thought were their rights. Those people should still be honored in history by flying their flag at a memorial in their honor.

I agree that The flag doesn't belong alone anywhere and especially on top of any state government building. It was rightly removed from the statehouse dome. And placed where it belongs at the memorial to the fallen confederate dead. If you feel the it's position is too prominent at the end of Main St. in front of the Statehouse, then start a petition to move the monument to a place of less prominence somewhere else on the grounds. But it definitely belongs somewhere on the Statehouse grounds.
It belongs in the Confederate Museum...period. That's silly to think otherwise and insensitive to the rest of the South Carolinians that have to deal with it. It's also easy for people that don't live in Columbia to say since it's out of sight, out of mind considering it's not in their backdrop and storyline when it's brought up. A majority of Columbians don't want it up there but since it's a "StateHouse" we, in this area, are powerless to remove it.

No one is saying not to fly it in your own right, wear it on youth clothing, have decals and license plates on your vehicle. I currently live in Alabama and driving up I-65 from Montgomery to Birmingham is the biggest and tallest Confederate flag and post i've ever seen. The thing is...it's not representative of the STATE AS A WHOLE... but it's adorned by the people who hold it in that esteem. The fact is... there are Confederate museums in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston where you can visit and reminisce in the glory of those fallen. The SC Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum shows a vast amount of artifacts from various wars so it doesn't diminish the part of their history. It shouldn't be on the grounds at all and placing it in an inconspicuous area still does a disservice to those who will still walk by it strolling the grounds.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM

678 posts, read 800,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Highly probable, but personally like to see some evidence before making accusations. YMMV.
Wow.. Are you serious? With a name like IsNull, I assume you're a programmer. Come on you're smarter than that.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
It belongs in the Confederate Museum...period. That's silly to think otherwise and insensitive to the rest of the South Carolinians that have to deal with it. It's also easy for people that don't live in Columbia to say since it's out of sight, out of mind considering it's not in their backdrop and storyline when it's brought up. A majority of Columbians don't want it up there but since it's a "StateHouse" we, in this area, are powerless to remove it.

No one is saying not to fly it in your own right, wear it on youth clothing, have decals and license plates on your vehicle. I currently live in Alabama and driving up I-65 from Montgomery to Birmingham is the biggest and tallest Confederate flag and post i've ever seen. The thing is...it's not representative of the STATE AS A WHOLE... but it's adorned by the people who hold it in that esteem. The fact is... there are Confederate museums in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston where you can visit and reminisce in the glory of those fallen. The SC Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum shows a vast amount of artifacts from various wars so it doesn't diminish the part of their history. It shouldn't be on the grounds at all and placing it in an inconspicuous area still does a disservice to those who will still walk by it strolling the grounds.
So my first question still stands. Should we remove all confederate memorials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina