Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times

Advertisements

It is high time to bring down that flag. Nothing else can stop racial violence other than preventing the supenatural waves of what scientists call "hate energy" from trickling out of that pattern of colors and infecting the 'evil nodes' located in the frontal lobes of susceptible White people's brains.

No flag, no violence. It is really that simple.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM

515 posts, read 482,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Hmm. There's a big difference between us deciding what we should or should not do and having others tell us what is best for us. And I do not think that keeps us 'mired towards the bottom'. We're adults and we can look at what's out there as examples and see what's going on and decide whether something is good for our state or not. You know, state sovereignty and all that.

IF the national media were reporting on a conversation that started organically here in SC, that would be one thing. But they're not. They are the ones that created the 'conversation' and are trying to pass it off as being something all of us are talking about. That's irritating.

To me, this sounds like throwing a tantrum and not accepting that the request is the right thing to do.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
If it's like a family shouldn't you have sympathy to African Americans South Carolinians who don't like the flag or does their opinion even matter to you?. Your being very condescending. You don't know what's best.

This is the attitude that i see from a lot of Confederate flag supporters. They seem to suggest black people aren't intelligent enough to have an opinion on the flag.

The term "BOY" and the rhetoric used in the 50's is coded now.
I'm not a flag supporter. I'm actually quite apathetic about the flag actually. I think you're assuming a few things about me though that aren't true.

My issue isn't the discussion about the flag itself. My issue is it being brought up by national media right now as a 'controversy' because they decided to bring it up and not for the right reasons. They're doing it because - ratings. I'm not willing to be manipulated like that is all.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
I ask again. Why do you people want SC to still be only state doing this? Why do you want to be "that guy?"

Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
To me, this sounds like throwing a tantrum and not accepting that the request is the right thing to do.
Well, I guess we disagree.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:48 AM

260 posts, read 299,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post

QTOPPINGS. This is the same attitude that sparked the federal government to step in against BULL CONNER remember. The term "OUTSIDERS" similar to the language used against civil rights workers from the north who were encouraging black people to vote.

It's just sad nowadays when the same type of rhetoric is used.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not a flag supporter. I'm actually quite apathetic about the flag actually. I think you're assuming a few things about me though that aren't true.

My issue isn't the discussion about the flag itself. My issue is it being brought up by national media right now as a 'controversy' because they decided to bring it up and not for the right reasons. They're doing it because - ratings. I'm not willing to be manipulated like that is all.
I am just shaking my head at this. Please re-read your words and tell me that it doesn't sound completely ridiculous coming out of an educated adult's mouth.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
QTOPPINGS. This is the same attitude that sparked the federal government to step in against BULL CONNER remember. The term "OUTSIDERS" similar to the language used against civil rights workers from the north who were encouraging black people to vote.

It's just sad nowadays when the same type of rhetoric is used.
Exactly. I guess I'm an outsider because I moved here from up north too. I wasn't under any illusion that my opinion would be the majority, but this kind of thinking really is making me question wanting to raise my children here. I hope that most people in this state don't think this way.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Hmm. There's a big difference between us deciding what we should or should not do and having others tell us what is best for us. And I do not think that keeps us 'mired towards the bottom'. We're adults and we can look at what's out there as examples and see what's going on and decide whether something is good for our state or not. You know, state sovereignty and all that.
LOL, you think it actually works like that? You don't think things like special interests, political power, etc. play absolutely no role here? You think things flow in such a smooth, straightforward way in such a complex society? Or do you think that SC purposely has aspirations for bad roads, bad schools, high tuition, and the like?

And let't not even talk about the "outsiders" rhetoric when it comes to civil rights.

Quote:
IF the national media were reporting on a conversation that started organically here in SC, that would be one thing. But they're not. They are the ones that created the 'conversation' and are trying to pass it off as being something all of us are talking about. That's irritating.
There are very few issues that all South Carolinians are talking about. Black South Carolinians haven't forgotten about the flag and still have conversations about it, but I guess that doesn't count since they aren't the majority.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:

Isn't it brought up in the media because it is a valid point? Hasn't this always been a controversial issue in SC? I am curious, what are the "right" reasons to bring it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina