Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 PM

260 posts, read 299,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Who is P&C (politically correct or something to do with Jon Stewart?) This battle has been fought long ago in our legislature when the flag was removed from the top of our Capitol and placed on the Capitol grounds. Perhaps you were still in diapers at that time or just a gleam in your dad's eye.

Are you aware since that time the NAACP has a boycott in place against the State of South Carolina (July 1999) but we still have Black Biker week at Atlantic Beach, we still have blacks in our grocery stores, clothing stores, auto dealerships. So the SC Black population has not paid any attention to the NAACP boycott over the flag. Talk to blacks, most are not even aware there is a boycott. The boycott may have been removed this year because the Globetrotters did play in Columbia.

In the next election you need to get aboard and run for the South Carolina House of Representatives or Senate. Then you can write a Bill to have the flag removed. In the meantime email, call or write letters to your SC Senator or House Rep in Columbia, tell them what you think assuming you are a registered voter.

The Confederate Flag on the Capitol grounds IS NOT the reason nine good black people are dead in Charleston.
^ look at the ignorance expressed above

"So the SC Black population has not paid any attention to the NAACP boycott over the flag. Talk to blacks, most are not even aware there is a boycott"

This is the way they speak down here with contempt and condecending coded language. "Blacks aren't smart enough to understand the flag"- That's the mantra that we're dealing with.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
My main concern in California would be .... water.

I was born and raised in South Carolina and in my travels I have never been asked about the flag. When my husband returned from Vietnam and we were stationed in Maryland I was asked by a woman from NY if blacks still had to ride in the back of the bus. I asked if she had ever heard of Rosa Parks.

The Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds DID NOT murder the nine black people in Charleston.

I doubt this ever happened you never spoke to anybody. The ideology murdered those people similar to ISIS. He was radicalalized and the flag was a catalyst

Old 06-19-2015, 02:24 PM

515 posts, read 482,192 times
Quote:
My main concern in California would be .... water.

I was born and raised in South Carolina and in my travels I have never been asked about the flag. When my husband returned from Vietnam and we were stationed in Maryland I was asked by a woman from NY if blacks still had to ride in the back of the bus. I asked if she had ever heard of Rosa Parks.

The Confederate flag on the Capitol grounds DID NOT murder the nine black people in Charleston.
MY GOD, you just do not get it, do you?

No one said the flag caused the murder. NO ONE.

What people ARE trying to say is that the flag is a symbol of everything the shooter idolized. And it has no place flying on government property.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:24 PM

110 posts, read 116,294 times
If the flag in SC radicalizes white people, why doesn't this kind of mass murder happen all the time?

We are taught about past incidences of violence against black people in history class. We learn about the confederate flag, segregation, slavery.

Does learning history radicalize white people?

Where are all the white people in SC who believe the killer is a hero?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
The first question I have is.. When did the flag get hoisted over the dome and for what reason was it placed there? Obviously, when the Civil War ended that was probably the FIRST thing that got taken down after Columbia was burned so what was the catalyst for putting it back up and was that a good enough reason to put it over the most important building in the state? A building which is a symbol of government and ALL the people of South Carolina.

Secondly, insiders and outsiders have been advocating for the flag to come down for one reason or another so its nothing new...Georgia changed its flag in 2001 because of insiders and outsiders..was it right was it wrong? Is the State better off because of it?... Florida and Alabama has some modified version though way less offensive of stars and bars.. then there is Mississippi.. to which we have the unfortunately pleasure of sharing this issue with... So atleast we dont have it on our state flag, which by the way is one of the most popular and attractive flags from a marketing standpoint...something about that Palmetto Tree....... So as long as we like being kissing cousins with the Magnolia State then great or we could do a noble gesture and take it down.. the Flag is a symbol and like it or not symbols ...just like the Capitol Dome in Columbia and Washington are symbols....they stand for something and when they are accepted in the popular culture as such and only supported by a few and placed over a public building as representation for all..

So.. now that we have it down on the grounds..though in front of the the important symbol in our state.. should it remain there? Columbia wasnt even the capital of the confederacy....It may make more sense to have in Richmond.. but Im not sure if there is a flag on their capitol grounds or not....

We can always modify this symbol to show more universal appeal like what is below....

Which is a version of this...

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-19-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Our education ranks have what exactly to do with the flag? Being here before me just means you think of yourself as stuck here. I came here because I like it. Roads could be smoother but changing the flag won't fix that either. People overseas? People I meet in Europe think America consists of California, New York, Florida, and Texas. They know there are other states but don't really know the difference between Nebraska and Alabama anymore than Americans know the difference between Andorra and Luxemberg. There's a bar in Monaco I went to called "The Stars and Bars" and had an American theme mostly consisting of Texas license plates and cowboy boots adorning the place. I wouldn't weigh their opinions too highly. If you can't see the flag for what it is then you're the one with the problem. If most people here had a problem with it, it would have been taken down years ago by their popularly elected officials.
I don't think of myself stuck here, I can leave whenever I feel. I think of myself as a RESIDENT. A resident who has a say on what goes on on this 32,000 square miles of land called SOUTH CAROLINA. Someone who was born here, raised here, and still residing here. I don't really care why you came here. You don't have a right to tell other South Carolina residents how to act or feel.

I can't deal with you anymore. Just watch this and youll see what the problem is. Thank God your mindset is the minority mindset now and soon enough, that cloth will be put in a museum or basement or dungeon or whatever, where it belongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjzrvRKv6Ks

If not, oh well. You said you want to be "that guy" so I'll let you be it. I'm wasting time debating people that can't see the problem.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
I doubt this ever happened you never spoke to anybody. The ideology murdered those people similar to ISIS. He was radicalalized and the flag was a catalyst
If you don't like the response just claim it never happened... Gotcha.
So Muslims should Outlaw the Koran because radicalized factions are inspired by them to commit terrorism? The cross should be outlawed because the Westboro Baptist Church uses it to preach hatred? Where are you going with this? Anybody can be radicalized by whatever they want. This kid was radicalized apparently by a Rhodesian flag. Comparing a loner weirdo to a terrorist organization numbering in the thousands and rolling over entire countries is a bit of a stretch.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
If the flag in SC radicalizes white people, why doesn't this kind of mass murder happen all the time?

Radicals don't always attack there have been a lot of somalis who become "Unradicalized" and return from the warzone to Minnesota without incident. Why has there not been any attacks by somalis in the US? Should we just ignore them because there hasn't been any attacks?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
^ look at the ignorance expressed above

"So the SC Black population has not paid any attention to the NAACP boycott over the flag. Talk to blacks, most are not even aware there is a boycott"

This is the way they speak down here with contempt and condecending coded language. "Blacks aren't smart enough to understand the flag"- That's the mantra that we're dealing with.
Check your spelling condescending coded language??? What in the world is condescending coded language? I must talk this over with my black nephews Terrance and Lewis. They will get a good laugh out of your comments.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If you don't like the response just claim it never happened... Gotcha.
So Muslims should Outlaw the Koran because radicalized factions are inspired by them to commit terrorism? The cross should be outlawed because the Westboro Baptist Church uses it to preach hatred? Where are you going with this? Anybody can be radicalized by whatever they want. This kid was radicalized apparently by a Rhodesian flag. Comparing a loner weirdo to a terrorist organization numbering in the thousands and rolling over entire countries is a bit of a stretch.
FBI surveillance just like we do with radical islamists reporting everything from these radical frindge groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina